January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

[​IMG]

Translation

My parents working in national education, they had two monthes of vacations during all summers.
    So we went in a caravan for a long time, we were camping in GCU (special campings for teachers). It was necessary to first prepare the caravan 1 or 2 weeks before leaving : cleaning, bring towels and cie.
    The d day we tied the caravan to the car and take the direction of Jard sur Mer (in Vendée). There I met Marylise a friend I knew at the age of 3 in this same campsite, she came back here every year with her grandparents.
    We went to the beach together, cycling in the campins, and participate in animations (modest at this time). ZAfter 2 or 3 weeks, we tied the caravan to the car again, and took the direction of the south! La Grande Motte.
    There I have never made friends....it was different vacation.
    On the program beach and hot dog lunch from time to time,
    drink a coke on the port at night, visits of the surronding (Aigues Mortes, Camargue etc), municipal library (i read all Yoko tsuno) ...and it was time to came back at home!

Iowan likes this.
  2. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

3. Tedasgram (Ruth)

Tedasgram (Ruth) Active Member

I liked this one!! Could have talked forever lol. Thank you for choosing this challenge, I will continue to tell these memories now.
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  4. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

[​IMG]

Word count Dutch: 180
    Word count English: 175

Journaling translated:
    See here the play set my grandpa made and welded himself. On the photo it’s already finished, but needs to be painted because this isn’t looking pretty. Blue and white if I can remember correctly. I can also remmeder that I wanted to lift one of the beams when I was laying next to the house and I dropped it on my toe. Obviously it was much too heavy for me to lift and it was very painful, but I couldn’t tell anyone because I was not allowed to touch it. It was such an awesome part of my youth. It had place for two swings (or hoops) and next to it a chin up bar. It wasn’t even finished and I was already hanging from it. lol! The chin up bar was also the perfect place for a fort: a sheet over it and something heavy on the ends and voila! We kept it in our garden for a very long time. Until all of us were definitely grown out of childhood and beyond.

Iowan likes this.
  5. Bethie

Bethie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Journaling reads:
    Papa, ever since I can remember, you have been one for telling stores. Most of these are
    of our childhood growing up in the sticks with your two brothers. So many of your
    stories include hijinks with your bikes, local ponds, fresh food made by your mom, or
    trees as tall as skyscrapers you would climb to escape the world below (or the punish-
    ment for your hijinks) I have always loved your stories and the fact that the little boy
    in those stories comes alive for me as you speak. I can see the twinkle in your eye grow
    and half expect you to break out into some mishcevious adventure right before me. I hope
    you can tell all of these stories to my children as they grow, so they can get a taste of
    the magic you have created as a young boy and as my own dad. These mean the world.

Iowan and Mylinn like this.
  6. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

When I sat down to write, I couldn't figure out where to start. I didn't get a chance to talk to family members that would have better information to add to the story. Then I got into it and decided to reign it in before branching off onto too many side stories. So I'll have to tackle some more like this soon and get those stories written down.
    Journaling is in the gallery
    [​IMG]

bonnenuit and Iowan like this.
  7. sbee

sbee Active Member

8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

So fun to remember the good old days! TY Carol!

[​IMG]

Iowan and Lynne-Marie like this.
  9. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie Lynne-Marie

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra Step aside, Arwen!!

11. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

12. Mumma848

Mumma848 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Iowan likes this.
  13. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Man, this was by far the hardest one for me! Just because until I met my awesome husband, life had not been kind and there just wasn't any memories that I could bring myself to talk about on here! Gratefully we were married last century! I FINALLY thought of a tradition that we still do today that I wanted to scrapbook! :) Yah! MY LAST page and stumbling block completed! Phew! :) I am grateful! AND I love this page! :)

GennieJoy MOC 6 #26 Tradition & Heritage.jpg

Iowan likes this.
  14. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

It felt so good to get this story told! Thank you for the fun challenge!
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  15. annachris70

annachris70 Active Member

16. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

Thanks for the inspiration to remind myself of those sweet memories!
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  17. kayjaydo

kayjaydo Keeping my feet firmly on the ground

Had to get Mum to photograph some pics for this challenge, which is why I am now so close to the deadline. Fun challenge all the same, and now I am DONE!!!

[​IMG]
    Hugs
    Kerri

Iowan likes this.
  18. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Iowan likes this.
  19. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

Great Challenge, although probably my hardest for some reason, LOL

[​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  20. GaDawg83

GaDawg83 Active Member

MOC2018-1-26-TraditionHeritage
    Annie Ruth 1973
    [​IMG]
    Journaling:
    My Uncle sent me this photo of my maternal Grandmother, and it instantly sent me back to 1973. I grew up on Long Island, NY, where my father worked for the airlines and we were blessed to be able to fly stand-by for free. All our vacations and spare time centered around flying to my mother’s homestead in NW Florida, where most of her very-extended and close knit family still resided. Everyone in the area knew her as “Aunt Annie Ruth” and she was humble, kind and sweet-spirited to the N-th degree. She was the wife of a hard-working (and very opinionated!) dirt farmer, and mother to 6 with all that entails on a farm. Her very favorite thing to do on a rare afternoon with free time was to go fishing at her best friend Susie’s fish pond up the road from the old house and “drown a few worms”, maybe catching enough for a fish fry dinner. From a very early age she would take as many of us cousins along as would fit in the back of the old pickup truck (with no seatbelts, or even seats, I might add!!) In 1973 I was 12 years old and able to spend several weeks of my summer vacation alone down there. It quickly became my favorite activity to go fishing with her. She taught me most of what I know about fishing, nature, life on a farm and life in general. To this day I still love being outdoors, and we take every chance we can to fish-always dedicating a few worms to cherished memories with Grandma. This One's for Annie Ruth.
    Kits: Evening Glow and Outdoorsy by Kristin Aagard
    Font: DJB A Big Heart

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018