annachris70

MOM-&-DAD

MOM-&-DAD
annachris70, Feb 1, 2018
Description:
The start of a new tradition​
My parents met at medical school in 1964. My father was a med student and my mother was studying to be a nurse. According to my mom, they were just good friends in the beginning, but ended up falling in love with each other after some time. They started dating secretly because they were afraid my mother’s family wouldn’t approve of their relationship. My maternal grandparents were Japanese immigrants. They wanted my mom to marry an “Issei” (first-generation immigrant) or at least a “Nisei” (second-generation) like her. She was their eldest child and no one in the family had ever dated a “Gaijin” (foreigner) before.
My mom took my dad to her parents’ house for the first time at Christmas in 1965. She introduced him as a university friend, and not as her boyfriend. My mother’s younger siblings instantly loved my father, as he was very outgoing and friendly. He brought presents to each member of the family, and he loved telling jokes and amusing them with his interesting stories. My grandparents were suspicious at first, but after getting to know my father a bit more, they started to like him. Before returning to university at the end of the holidays, my mom told them the truth. Three years later, they got married. Interestingly enough, my father became one of my grandparent’s favorite sons-in-law, and half of my uncles and aunts followed in my mother’s footsteps and married non-Japanese. My parents had three children and were happily married until my dad sadly passed away in 2003.

Sahlin Studio: Key to my heart and May 14 template
cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      WHat a beautiful page and what a beautiful love story. I am so sorry about the passing of your father. I love the composition here and that sweet flower and key cluster under the photo. What a beautiful tribute to a never ending love. Beautiful.
      annachris70 likes this.
    • Neverland Scraps
      Wow, this is so beautiful!! Love the journaling about you parents and their story. The photo is stunning and the colors are truly complimentary to the photo!
      annachris70 likes this.
    • Iowan
      what a wonderful love story and I'm so glad they persevered. I love the photo and the beautiful simplicity of the page is inspiring. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
      annachris70 likes this.
    • annachris70
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    annachris70
    Date:
    Feb 1, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    320.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).