Sunberry2

The Store (MOC6 - Tradition/Heritage)

The Store (MOC6 - Tradition/Heritage)
Sunberry2, Jan 31, 2018
Description:
MOC6 - Tradition/Heritage (Journaling Challenge)
Fiddle Dee Dee - Scenic View Dressed Down
Lilypad Collab - Treasured: Places
ETC - Life in Color, Turn the Page
One Little Bird - Life in Pieces
Lynne-Marie - Gratitude
Mommyish - Vintage Breeze
Bella Gypsy - Magic Moments: Bella Notte
Kristin Aagard - Evening Glow
Fonts: Traveling Typewriter, Shadows into Light

Journaling reads:
“The Store” as we always referred to it, was closed and basically used as storage space to my recollection. But it once was the business of the family, serving the Winslow community as a grocery store. This was Great Grandpa’s grocery store, opened in the late 40s, likely after Grandpa returned from the war and married Grandma. From historical research and familiarity with the area, I know that Historic Route 66 runs through the town as well as a popular railroad route. This meant the small town was prosperous, busy with locals and tourists alike. Later, they moved the store one street over and continued to serve the community.
My uncles and mom grew up knowing this store. That’s my eldest uncle as a baby in front of the store. And I have also seen the photo of mom as a baby in front of the store too. If my memory serves correctly, I’ve heard a few stories about my mom and uncles helping in the store as kids and even playing a few games in the aisles. It is also this store that I remember being storage space for the other businesses they started up. A couple times I would walk up and down a couple aisles trying to imagine what the store must have looked like when it was a full grocery store. Some old fixtures still remained, the old produce section, meat counter, there may have even been an old cash register stored away.
I’m not sure when the store was closed, it may have been when Grandpa and Grandma opened the Drive-In. However, it was the convenience store at the edge of town that held some of the best relics from the grocery store. Grandpa had been a butcher for the grocery store and moved the meat slicer to the convenience store so he could continue to provide fresh sliced meats to some loyal patrons. Tucked away in the office was an old cash register. As a kid, I loved getting to sit back there and push those buttons, pretending to ring up customers. So even though I may not have known it as a grocery store, there are some memories I'm glad I can share.
    • Iowan
      I remember those old stores from another era. You did a great job reminiscing here. Great shots. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
      Sunberry2 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    Sunberry2
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    215.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).