kayjaydo

MOC_Day26

MOC_Day26
kayjaydo, Feb 1, 2018
Description:
Challenge January 26th - Heritage/Tradition

Journalling reads:
What a big year 1979 was for us as a family. I was 10 at the time and we were moving from England to Germany for TWO years. To a ten year old, that seems like a lifetime. There had been a lot of tears leaving our friends and neighbours behind and taking our cat to Nanna and Pops to live there til we came back. It was exciting though and even the local newspaper came to interview us, as it is not every day that someone ups and leaves the country.
I think we arrived in Germany at our flat on a Thursday, but what I really remember, probably because it was such a shock to the system, was that we started school on a Saturday!! Yes, back in 1979 the poor German kids had school every Saturday, except the so-called „Langer Samstag“, the first Saturday in the month. (My kids are now shocked about Saturday school too, that no longer exists in Germany) My brother and I were put into the same class, to make the transition a bit easier as if anything could make not being able to speak the language easier!
The teacher we had then, took us under his wing and gave us extra tuition three times a week after school lessons. He did such a good job, that I went up a class by December. That teacher, Herr Pruschke, retired in February 1980 and offered my parents that he would continue teaching us German but we would have to get a bus to his house for the lessons. For many years we travelled by bus three times a week for extra German lessons. I will be forever grateful for that, as now we are fully bilingual and no one can tell from our accents that we weren't born in Germany. After the two years were up, my parents decided that we weren't really ready to go back to England just yet and to let my brother and I finish our schooling in Germany. Well we both went on to do our Abitur, which means we were 20ish when we finished and by then there was never any mention of returning to England. We have now been in Germany for nearly 39 years, both my brother and I got our German citizenship last year, after Britain decided to leave the EU. I can't see either of us ever returning to live in England again, but we do go every year for a holiday and to see our extended family. (484 Words)

Credits:
Paper, red flower, red button - Art Smart by Dawn Inskip
Black flower, Tab - At a Glance by etc by Danyale
Sunflower - Messy Bun Kind of Day by etc by Danyale
Frames - Boho Soul by etc by Danyale
Stitched down folded Paper Alphas - Kim Jensen
    • wenckechodan
      Love the lower corner where all the action is - the colors of the numbers and flowers, the faded colors of the photos, their frames, the handwritten font, and most of all, the newspaper article! :-)
      kayjaydo likes this.
    • Iowan
      What an interesting story and you were so lucky to have such good teachers and found a new place to call home. I can't imagine how had that was. I love those old photos. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
      kayjaydo likes this.
    • fanon
      i love old photos and the colors
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    kayjaydo
    Date:
    Feb 1, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    148.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).