January 11: Where I Live

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by jk703, Jan 11, 2022.

1. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

[​IMG]

Five location inspired items -- map paper, map marker, compass, arrow, Texas CutOut

jk703 likes this.
  2. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

This was really fun! Thanks!
    My 5 location elements: World, compass stamp, map marker, road flair, wanderlust definition - plus arrow background paper and travel word art and tags
    Journaling 178 words

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  3. AnotherAmanda

AnotherAmanda Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Word Count - 234
    Location elements - veneer map marker, yellow map marker, 3 arrow stickers, compass stamp, veneer arrows. map stamp, stamps stamp, globe sticker

jk703 likes this.
  4. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

Jenn, I hope this fits. Like I said I don't like where I live and I would move except my children and grandchildren are all settled here so my LO is about why I moved here and what keeps me here.
    There are 3 x arrow brads, a map, a compass and everything other element relates to the story.

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  5. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

[​IMG]

La Crosse sits at the meeting point of three rivers — the Mississippi, the Black and the La Crosse. According to Native American legend, this type of convergence gives protection from “big winds,” (more or less true, except for a monster tornado in 2011) but it also provides a lovely place to explore. The impressive main channel can best be observed from Riverside Park, which was designed by the famous landscape architect John Nolen. It’s fun to go out on a speedboat or a pontoon, but the best way to enjoy the natural beauty is in a canoe or a kayak. There are dozens of launches up and down the river, including seven miles of canoe trails at Goose Island Park and 96 miles of marked water trails in the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge. Both places are excellent for birdwatching as well — the river is a major flyway for migratory birds and a nesting area for nearly 300 species. Depending on the time of year, visitors can see tundra swans, great egrets, warblers and a truly jaw-dropping number of bald eagles.

Little Butterfly Wings:
    Butterfly Basics: Travel Edition Bundle

Little Butterfly Wings and Studio Basic:
    July is For Getting Away Bundle
    Life is Enjoying Days Off Bundle

Kim Jensen:
    School Zone Papers

5 Location Elements:
    1: Wooden Arrows
    2: Button that States You are Here
    3: Map Heart
    4: Blue Arrow
    5: Wisconsin Cut Out
    6: Map Background
    7: Map Colored Photo Holder Thingy

jk703 likes this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

6 Elements: arrow, airplane, camera flair, on the move flair, star, and water tower. I wasn't sure if the camera qualified so I added an extra.
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  7. jnac916

jnac916 Active Member

[​IMG]

geotab, orange arrow, brown curvy brown arrow, yellow diamond arrow signs, map arrows, map as background paper, scribbled arrow

jk703 likes this.
  8. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

I originally had something totally different as I am NOT loving winter in Montana right now. But re-reading through the instructions and the clarifications, I realized I had to go a different route and try to remind myself of the blessings and beauty of living in the Wild Wild West!
    [​IMG]
    5+ "travel/location" elements: tree charm, binoculars, camera, compass, bear charm, map pointers (7)
    Journaling (252 words):
    We live 45 short minutes away from Glacier National Park, which means that we can explore its beauty every weekend if we wanted to. We have yet to even go over to the east or north parts of the park … definitely on our bucket list, though.
    As a child, especially, I always dreamed of what it would be like to actually have a white Christmas. Well, Montana does not disappoint.
    The air is so clean here! I never thought it was that important until I moved here. It’s fresh and clean and so different from the smog and smoke and pollution that I was used to in other places where I lived.
    Summers are glorious here – not too cold and definitely not too hot. And no humidity to boot. If we don’t feel like exploring Glacier, there are so many little lakes close by for us to kayak.
    I FINALLY live in a town that has a Target, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Costco, Panera and Chic-Fil-A, to name a few places that we would have had to drive an hour and a half at least everywhere else we ever lived. And now these places are a five-minute drive from my front door!
    Have I mentioned that we are surrounded by mountains? Every direction you turn, there are mountains. And yet, the sky here is truly ginormous, earning its nickname “Big Sky Country”.
    We live in the setting of one of the most popular TV shows currently airing in the U.S. ‘nuff said.

jk703, amien1 and aballen like this.
  9. melscrap

melscrap CT - Lynne-Marie

[​IMG]

5 items: arrows, map paper strip, compass, adventure ahead road sign, eucalyptus leaves

Journaling (201 words)
    When we moved to Australia, I never thought I would end up in a suburb on the outskirts of Sydney. Yet, by happy accident, here we are. Being in the Bushland Shire means kookaburras, cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets, king parrots, Eastern miners and magpies are frequent visitors to my garden. And it’s not uncommon to see bats, owls and possums around too. There is a State Forest and a National Park and plenty of walking trails all over the suburb, which were a blessing to explore during the various lockdowns these past two years. And not to mention a playground of some sort around almost every corner. I love how central Cherrybrook is to pretty much everything too: it’s a quick 30-minute metro ride to the city and all the attractions on offer there. An hour’s drive gets you to the beach for a day in the sun and a little more than that takes you to the mountains for a hike or an off-road drive, or perhaps to the winelands for a sneaky drop or two before heading home. It may not be the poshest, newest or even the best-known suburb in Sydney, but I am happy to call it home.

jk703 and wombat146 like this.
  10. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

5 location inspired items: Map, Cars, Geotags, Road Sign, Arrows

Journaling (104 words): I live in Connecticut. I moved here for my job, and my job is why I stay. While I love my job, the reality is, I work so I can afford to travel, and that’s where Connecticut REALLY shines: it’s proximity to so many cool places to vacation! During the pandemic when interstate travel was discouraged outside of “green” states with lower community spread rates of Covid, most of New England was open for us to explore, and we did just that! We also spent a lot of time around Connecticut, working our way through the brewery passport. We visited 50 breweries last year!
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  11. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Fabulous challenge. Thank you! :) Location inspired elements are - 2x seagulls, 1xcrab, 1x beach hut, 1x fishing net and sand. All of which can be found in my town :)
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  12. Bec

Bec Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My 5 location elements: Compass, binoculars, geotag, arrow and a you are here tag.

jk703 and wombat146 like this.
  13. Sharon-Dewi

Sharon-Dewi Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this lovely challenge! Here is a layout about my beautiful hometown:

[​IMG]

I used 194 words of journaling (in both the original Dutch text as in the English translation).
    Location elements I used are: a veneer map marker/geotag, a veneer arrow, a doodled arrow, several confetti scatters made out of a map paper, a butterfly made of a map paper, a brad with a piece of pink&orange map in it and a journal card with a black&white map on it underneath the left smaller photo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    jk703, frutselke and aballen like this.
  14. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

here's mine :

[​IMG]

114 words in english (translation in the gallery with the credits)

location items :
    - 3 arrows
    - 1 geotag
    - 1 map stamp

jk703 likes this.
  15. Erin Taylor

Erin Taylor Well-Known Member

MOC10-11-whereilive.jpg

5 items: WV outline, WV license plate, Cardinal (State bird), Arrow pointing at the state capitol, and the geo tag. I have no idea how many words I used as my scrapbook software doesn't count it or allow me to copy/paste.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    jk703 likes this.
  16. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

5 items: arrow sticker, geomarker button, compass brush, globe sticker, map-patterned paper (light blue).

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  17. AZK

AZK Active Member

[​IMG]

Journaling reads: I was born in the city of Detroit, Michigan, and in the 6 decades since, I haven’t lived more than 25 miles from there. Aside from the fact that most of my immediate family lives here, the area has a lot to offer. Plenty of sophisticated urban areas exist and are only a short distance from venues for those who prefer the outdoors. Right now I live in a condo that is only a mile away from a 4000-acre park to the west and a convenient shopping center a mile to the east. Plus, who can deny the appeal of living somewhere you can use your hand as a map? (110 words)

Required items: "Here" flair, 2 geotags, map washi tape, arrow, globe charm

jk703, bonnenuit and slfam like this.
  18. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

19. Anny-Libelle

Anny-Libelle Show me the way to the Misty Mountains

6 items (2 geotags, wooden arrows, swirled arrow, compass, button you are here, best trip WA)
    313 words in german, 355 words in english

[​IMG]

English is not my native language. So I wrote my journaling in german language. For translation I used Google Translate to help. I apologize for mistakes:

The path of discovery

My hometown Hainichen is in Saxony in the middle of Germany. We have a discovery trail that leads locals and guests through our small town and shows all of our sights.

The start and finish is at our train station (1) and you first walk to the Trinity Church (2), which was built around 1899. At (3) is our school complex, consisting of a primary school and high school, which has been redesigned in recent years and offers the children a modern educational facility.

From here it is not far to the town hall (4) which is located on the market square. This is where the Hotel Goldener Löwe stood, which today serves as a retirement home. A magnificent neo-rococo hall (5) has been preserved here, which was reconstructed and reopened in 2019.

On the market square is also the Gellert Monument (6), a life-size statue of the fable writer and famous son of our city, Christian Fürchtegott Gellert. Our city also bears the nickname “Gellertstadt”.

If you continue to follow the path, you will come to the cellar fountain (7) and then to the cloth makers' house (8), built in 1783 as a master's house for cloth makers in the baroque half-timbered style.

Via the Neumarkt (9) you reach point (10) the house with the workshop of the wood sculptor Johann Gottfried Stecher (1718-1776) A landmark of our city is the Camera Obscura (11). This technical rarity is practically the predecessor of today's SLR camera, of which there are only three in Germany.

Past the old cemetery (12) you reach the Werner mausoleum (13). Now we are already in our beautiful city park, where the Gellert Museum (14) is located and the beautiful flower clock (15), which is beautifully planted every year. Next to it is a large open-air stage (16), which is used for events. The beautiful half-timbered house in Georgstr. is the birthplace of the father of Bernhard Moritz Grundig (1872-1926), a famous painter and graphic artist. Before we get back to the starting point, we pass the Technikum, an imposing building that was used as an educational facility for many years.

jk703 likes this.
  20. slfam

slfam Chocolate or vanilla? I can't decide!

[​IMG]

I used multiple location markers, globe charm, compass, adventure jc, hot air balloons, adventure ahead sign, adventure banner...

jk703 likes this.