January 11: Where I Live

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by jk703, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Maybe your right!

Iowan, easyeyes4you, jk703 and 2 others like this.
  2. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

I used a couple of geo tags, arrows, compass stamp, map as BG paper, WA with geo tag, arrow lable, home pin
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You live in Texas. There are many unique things about the state. Heck, as far as I know, it's the only one that can decide to divide into 5 states instead of 1 if it wanted. There are oil rigs, that is unique to certain places, and not something commonly seen everywhere. Definitely in Texas. If your town doesn't excite you, think bigger - state, country. The Alamo, the JFK Assassination, the State Fair. The US has great passports that let you visit lots of countries with no VISA requirements. I know you've used your passport quite a bit!

Sure it's easy to hate the place you live. I disliked a ton of Vegas things. The summers are hot and miserable, but I did like that the winters rarely got below freezing, and mostly stayed around 50. Sure, we had snow once, and that was miserable, but in general, the winters were mild. The cacti were neat to see, and the palm trees were cool and unlike any trees I had growing up farther north.

4. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

There is actually a huge shortage of them here! One on every corner but not one with appointments for months or some who can't even answer their phone.

5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

That's something that's happening all over. Unfortunately, the Covid pandemic and the absolute fear of the unknown and continual nature of it has caused so much mental health issues, they are swamped. My daughter has anxiety attacks and we cannot get her into a therapist. They are booked a year or more in advance. People are committing suicide at an alarming rate. Teens and young adolescents especially. It's really really bad. :(

6. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

[​IMG]

flip flops
    sunglasses
    tropical drink
    arrow
    camera
    journaling 123 words

AJK and jk703 like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

That is hard. I feel for those that cannot get the help that they need. Ugh!

8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I'm so sorry. I totally understand panic attacks and anxiety. When I moved here from my home of California I was having them all the time. I would feel like I was going to pass out and my heart would skip beats. The Nevada summers are HELL. We were living in my IL's second bedroom (nightmare I choose never to replicate). I just had to adjust and start seeing the good or I'd go nuts. Now? I have a home that we own, two cars, my husband has a great job, and we're all doing well through the pandemic. Melissa's panic attacks are lessening. I am blessed. That makes me appreciate where I live - because so many people don't even have a home or job anymore due to all the craziness of the pandemic. I had to become grateful for the little things. Even if it's NOT where I want to be, it's where I am, and I'll drive myself more crazy if I don't accept that fact and find the good.

Roxana likes this.
  9. got2digiscrap

got2digiscrap Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Link to the gallery: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/moc10_day11_whereilive.494016/

kit: Oh the Places Elements by Sara Gleason
    Oh the Places Papers by Sara Gleason

Travelogue August 2016 Storyteller Add-on by Just Jaimee

templates: Pack Your Bags 4x8 Travelers Notebook templates by Paislee Press

journaling: San Antonio has everything you can dream of we have beautiful architecture throughout downtown and enjoying the riverwalk. we have the history of the alamo. we have beautiful surrounding cities that bring country living back with a modern twist. come check out Gruene, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville. if you want the homemade beers, we have blue star. they display art every first Friday of the month. come during fiesta and you can enjoy the celebration of the battle of the flowers. it brings a party beyond words can describe and walking parades and riverwalk float parades. want a beach to see we have padre island and the gulf coast within hours. want a view go to our hill country and have an adventure with enchanted rock. want a theme park, we have sea world, Fiesta Texas and not too far away we have Schlitterbahn. a small visit or long visit bring your taste buds because we have outstanding food. always bring your smile because you will have great memories. can’t wait to see y’all soon.
    (198 words)
    Extra spots of journaling: Y'all come back often. We will leave the lights on for you.

Adventure less than 2 hours to Enchanted Rock
    Wanderlust River Walk Tour by River Barge, By Walking or Horse Drawn Carrriage
    <3 this city we have missions beautiful architecture
    Bucket List have to see the rodeo, the Spurs and visit the theme parks.

font: Realtime Gamer, MTF Hello My Name is, Waruna Regular

5 travel elements used: Globe stamp with Oh the Places in the clouds, geotag element, suitcase, enjoy travel double arrow, travelogue luggage tag

jk703, cfile and AJK like this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Location items included: 1 globe, 1 compass direction circle, 1 compass brad, 1 paper strip of arrows, 1 Illinois cut-out, 1 Wisconsin cut-out, 1 geotag with heart, 1 wooden house marker. I’ve also blended in a map of the area, but obviously that was found off the web... 181 words

[​IMG]

LynnG, jk703, MamaBee and 1 other person like this.
  11. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Items : Maps, wind rose, black pins, cork pin, luggage, world map, tram

My journaling :
    I have lived in Clermont-Ferrand for 14 years. This city in the centre of France does not have a good reputation, yet it does not deserve it. I love my city because it is a city with a rich heritage. The historical heritage with its Roman remains, its medieval ramparts, the churches and its cathedral made of black Volvic stone, its famous people.
    It is also rich in nature, with the Auvergne Volcanoes National Park and the Puys mountain range, which has recently been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site. I feel so good in this beautiful city, that I decided to paint with watercolor my favourite places in a travel diary. Thanks to this creative process, I have a new look at my city, a fresh look, in search of colours I am looking for the colours and details that make my city so beautiful.

LynnG, jk703 and threadjungle like this.
  12. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I'm practically Marilyn's neighbor! (@mcurtt ) I am in Southeastern Wisconsin - my location items include (1) the background map with (2)the heart on my location - (3) the Wisconsin cutout with (4)the pointer to show the spot on the map, (5)the cheese element since we are Cheeseheads in Wisconsin! The top picture also shows the sign along the highway as you enter the state. The other two pictures are of my "yard," also known as "the lake."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    LynnG, jk703, MamaBee and 2 others like this.
  13. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

[​IMG]

397 words
    Location inspired items: compass stamp, map keychain, globe, "East" tag, arrows paper strip (*2), "One Way" sign, geotag.

Karen, LynnG, jk703 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jess Claire Creates

Jess Claire Creates Well-Known Member

15268914-D430-4B9B-B46D-A4B6DD97A0C8.jpeg

This was a lot of journalling, for me I tend to use word bits and titles as I find it hard to put my words down into my pages but I enjoyed thinking about what I love about where I live. I can’t give an accurate word count but it’s definitely over 100. Also used 2 of the same map piece, a geo tag cork piece, 2 arrows a flag, and an arrow circle piece.

jk703 likes this.
  15. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

And I'm practically Joan K's neighbor @Joan K - about an hour or so north of her! :) Wisconsin representing!

[​IMG]
    My locator elements:
    set of wooden arrows
    blue geotag
    flair with globe
    wooden geotag
    state outline w/ added heart
    portion of local map

160 words journaling

jk703 and MamaBee like this.
  16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thank yo for the genuine CHALLENGE, lol! Helped me define my true thoughts.:agree I've been blessed to live in places I've loved: Mansfield Ohio, Ligonier Pa., Reynosa, Mexico, Mooresville, NC., Santa Lucia, Honduras, to name a few. This one, not as much. So, a change is coming. :)
    I used an
    1. arrow,
    2. a street light,
    3. brad,
    4. street sign,
    5. map,
    6. stamp.
    The pigeon-- just for fun!:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    jk703 and threadjungle like this.
  17. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I used a map background paper (blended), a compass sticker, map washi tape, wooden arrows, embark bar code sticker. There are 150+ words in my journaling.

[​IMG]

LynnG, jk703 and threadjungle like this.
  18. Smileark

Smileark Well-Known Member

How funny for your MOC8 challenge, I did a layout about Yosemite too!
    5 items: map, globe, curvy road arrow, geo tag, navy arrows
    [​IMG]
    Journaling: (154 words)
    We live in a town called the Gateway to Yosemite. It’s a 15-minute drive to the entrance of Yosemite National Park. We love it here! We can drive into Yosemite on a whim and explore all four seasons of the park’s glory! I love that my daughter counts how many deer are foraging on our road-- on the way to school. I love that while our town doesn’t have many options of restaurants—it does have my beloved Starbucks!

I don’t love that’s its an hour drive to Target. And don’t get me started on tourists driving rented RV’s on a curvy mountain road. Or tourists who don’t know how to put chains on a vehicle but must come play in the snow! And the horrible fires that seem to be wrecking our beautiful forests…

BUT even with those annoying things, we love our little mountain town and the life we have created here!

LynnG, jk703 and bonnenuit like this.
  19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for this inspiring challenge.
    My Word Count: 336
    My 5 themed items: map, binoculars, geo tag, arrow sign, arrows. Plus arrow paper.
    [​IMG]

jk703, LynnG and Carla like this.
  20. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

@jk703 I have one more question. Can a baseball count as a location item? We are the spring training home for the NY Mets, so it's a location item for here.