Roxana

MOC10_Day11 - From Bucharest With Love

MOC10_Day11 - From Bucharest With Love
Roxana, Jan 12, 2022
Description:
1. Legends say that Bucharest (Bucuresti) has been named after a shepherd called Bucur, who settled in the area where the capital is now. Another version is that Bucharest was founded by ruler Mircea the Elder at the end of the 14th century.
2. After the First World War (1914-1918), Bucharest became one of the most beautiful and modern European cities, the atmosphere and architecture bringing it the nickname "The Little Paris."
3. Demolitions carried out during the communist regime changed the city's face forever. Not only that, the project of the People's House (today the Parliament Palace) required the demolition of an entire historic part of the city, but dozens of churches were destroyed, totally or partially, during the communist ruling.
4. The first road in Bucharest was the Wood Road, today's Calea Victoriei. Back then, the road was paved with tree trunks and planks.
5. The oldest park in Bucharest is Cismigiu Gardens – the main green area in the city center.
6. The largest building in Bucharest (and in Romania) is the giant Palace of the Parliament built at the orders of late communist leader Nicolae Ceausescu. It is the second largest administrative building in the world, right after the Pentagon in the United States.
7. Politehnica subway station, which was built in 1983, is a unique place, as Cretaceous organisms are fossilized in the chalkstone slabs used by the workers for the subway station's pavement.
8. Bucharest is one of the busiest cities in Europe (and in the world) in terms of car traffic. TomTom Traffic Index for 2018 revealed the Romanian capital as Europe's third most congested city (and 11th globally).
9. On the upside, Bucharesters enjoy fast internet speeds. The recent Remote Working Index report by Broadband Deals placed Bucharest first in the world for working from home or remotely. The Romanian capital scored highly for internet speed, coming 4th in the ranking with internet speeds of 52 Mbps.
10. Bucharest is often confused with Budapest. While Bucharest is the capital city of Romania, Budapest is the capital city of Hungary. Since the names sound pretty similar, people often get them mixed up. Indeed, in 1992, Michael Jackson became even more famous in Romania when he played the first international concert in the country following the fall of communism and unfortunately addressed the crowd as “Hello, Budapest!” as opposed to “Hello, Bucharest”!

Just Jaimee - Storyteller 2019 July
Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic - July is for Getting Away
Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic - Life is: Enjoying Days Off
One Little Bird - Vagabond
Paislee Press - Road Trip
Paislee Press - Summer Manifesto
Paislee Press - Tour Guide
Pink Reptile Designs & Micheline Lincoln Designs & Little Butterfly Wings - A Better Tomorrow
TLP Collaboration - Life is an Adventure 1 - Allison Pennington; Little Butterfly Wings
Font: Albertsthal Typewriter
Sources: Pmb.ro, Wikipedia, Adevarul.ro, Cic.cdep.ro, Unibuc.ro
    • lulyg14
      What a fantastic page - I love the artistic take on the photo - absolutely stunning :clap
    • flowersgal
      Your layout is gorgeous. Love the big photo and your treatment of it and the interesting journaling about your city.
    • DivaMom96
      LOVE the blended sketch photo! And thanks for all of the wonderful information! My paternal grandfather's family was from Romania. They came over to Florida in the late 1800's and remained here. My grandfather, father and I are all Florida natives.
    • Roxana
    • Roxana
      @DivaMom96 , that is interesting. You should visit Romania someday. There are some very beautiful cities such as Cluj or Sighisoara, Sibiu, etc. And Bucharest (capital) is beautiful, especially in the central area, where historical buildings remained, beautiful parks, interesting museums have been preserved. But the mountainous area of Romania is very beautiful, as well as the northern area, Maramures and the western area, Transylvania. We have some sensational scenery. However, we must ignore the underdeveloped part of the infrastructure. We have a great lack of highways that would greatly help you to get much easier and faster to various places of interest for visitors.
      DivaMom96 likes this.
    • StefanieS
      Just beautiful. I love the sketch effect you chose to highlight the amazing architecture. Facsinating reading about your home town through your eyes. Thanks for sharing.
    • jk703
      What a beautiful and informative layout! I loved reading about your city! The story of Michael Jackson made me giggle! Poor Bucharest! The sketch work is amazing, as well as your shadows! Thank you for sharing your page and enlightening me! Wonderful!
    • *sylvia*
      the photo treatment is just perfect, love your journaling and the whole page design
    • Roxana
    • Roxana
      @jk703 , thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy that I brought a smile on your face!
      jk703 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    Roxana
    Date:
    Jan 12, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px
    Date / Time:
    2022:01:11 22:00:54

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).