January 11: Where I Live

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by jk703, Jan 11, 2022.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hey Kat,
    I hope you can join in. I would love to see your MOC pages!

I don’t believe my challenge is actively excluding anyone. The first rule requires you to share a story about where you live. That’s all.

There is no mention happiness or excitement required about the location.

1. Share a story that tells me about where you live. Please include at least 100 words in your journaling.

2. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

@jk703 Can our journaling be in list/bullet point format? I've got 281 words, but they aren't in paragraph format. I have about 7 different bullet points about where I live. Not sure if that "counts"?

3. jk703

I’m ok with this as long as each bullet/item list is a sentence. Or multiple sentences. Hope that works for you!

bjthomas likes this.
  4. jk703

Cath_ likes this.
  5. Macsandy

Macsandy Member

Day 11-Home_web.jpg
    Day 11 - Where I Live
    I used mostly The Lily Pad Collab ”Life is an Adventure 2” I used flowers from Lily Pad Collab ”Smarter,” and foliage from ”This is Fine” by Bella Gypsy. It is based on a modified non-store template ”Showcase 1” - template 3 by Ponytails Design. It has 140 words (100 required) and my five location inspired items are a two-way arrow road sign, compass circle, geo tag, map, and ”here” and ”there” tabs.

jk703 likes this.
  6. threadjungle

threadjungle Well-Known Member

126 words Geographic elements- globe, map flair, compass, sign post & binoculars
    [​IMG]

jk703 and Carla like this.
  7. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

230 Words, 4 Arrows & a geotag here :)

[​IMG]

jk703, LynnG and Carla like this.
  8. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

10. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

@jk703 I have another question.
    Can it be about the people? I don't live in a place that I would've chosen for myself.
    In fact I live in a city of approximately 2.6 million but I live here because this is where my people are. We moved here for our son's football (soccer) and stayed because 3 out of 4 of my kids live here. My grandsons were born here.
    So, can I do a LO related to my kids and football and grandsons etc?

jk703 and Dalis like this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Kate, from her replies to other people I believe that she said that it could be about the people you live around with. She mentioned at one point a nice cashier or a great neighbor, so I would say yes. I would make sure you mention that you moved for the reasons you did and why you stayed just like you explain above. Just in more words. LOL!!!!!

silent ranks and jk703 like this.
  12. jk703

Absolutely! How or why you are they would be a great story for your location!

silent ranks likes this.
  13. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

FUN! Thank you for the challenge! My journaling is below - 264 words.
    My travel items are: Compass stamp, travel brad, luggage tag, geo tag and customs stamp.

[​IMG]

Florida. Just the name invokes thoughts of sunshine and beaches. I was born in Florida and lived the first 22 years of my life here. I moved away for many years, but apparently, I was meant to return. In 2013, I settled in Tampa, just two hours north of where I grew up. Tampa is an amazing city! It’s the home of the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Tampa Lightning and the Tampa Rays.
    There’s always some game or another going on. But my favorite event in Tampa is Gasparilla! “Land, ho! Set sail for Tampa!” shouts the legendary pirate Jose Gaspar as his band of buccaneers sail across the Hillsborough Bay and return to the City of Tampa. On the last Saturday of January, the only fully-rigged pirate ship in the world, the Jose Gasparilla, emerges at the south end of Hillsborough Bay followed by hundreds if not thousands of boats. The vibrant Gasparilla Flotilla then makes its way across Hillsborough Bay and into Seddon Channel (between Davis Island & Harbour Island) and the Gasparilla Invasion has begun! In this annual re-enactment of Tampa’s "historic" pirate invasion, the Gasparilla Flotilla – led by the Jose Gasparilla filled to the crow’s nest with swashbuckling pirates – creates a spectacular sight. When the Jose Gasparilla docks at the Tampa Convention Center, the Mayor of Tampa surrenders the Key to the City to the Captain of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla. With the Key to the City in hand, the Krewe celebrates their victory in a Parade of Pirates down Bayshore Boulevard with 24 hours of crazy, drunken madness.

jk703, LynnG, katell and 1 other person like this.
  14. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

[​IMG]
    Where I live. An 1883 parsonage next to the original old church. I have found documents where people say they were married in this parsonage in 1890 and even earlier. I can imagine them standing in my front room!

Wording says:
    After filling stockings and putting out all the lights I looked around the rooms and thought to myself, this house, built in 1883 which sits over the spot the older house sat from the 1850s....
    How many Christmases this house has seen! How many families woke up on Christmas morning in this same house I now stand in! How many families gathered after being apart because of wars or, as is happening now, epidemics. How many events these families spoke of over dinner. The Civil War, presidential assassinations, Depression, World Wars One and Two, Vietnam, Disasters like The Titanic or the 1965 Tornado that hit here.All the things that have happened from then to now. I imagine women in long dresses cooking their Christmas dinners in wood stoves as I cook mine in a stove, microwave and instant pot. I wonder what gifts all the children who lived here from 1850 till today got for Christmas. So much has happened here and will continue. Someday my own family will be just one of the families who dwelled here and future people won't know anything about us, but the house will remember.

jk703, LynnG and Carla like this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Word count - 102.
    1. Map paper
    2. geo tag
    3. compass
    4. arrow
    5. flair
    [​IMG]

jk703 and LynnG like this.
  16. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

I may have used this challenge as an excuse to scrap photos of one of our recent autumnal walks, but the sentiment still holds.

[​IMG]

5 (at least) Elements - globe charm, wood arrow, cork chevron arrows, John Muir word art, fortune cookie word art, geotag. The Muir word art reads, "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt."

Journaling - 163 words:
    Nashville, IN, began as the Brown County Art Colony, with names like T.C. Steele, Marie Goth, and L.O. Griffith calling this “pleasant valley” their home. I grew up visiting Nashville and its quaint little shops, never dreaming that I would someday live in the town of less than 1,000 people and be a small part of its contemporary artist scene. Home to the largest state park in Indiana, the county and town is a popular tourist destination, attracting those who enjoy both the arts, live entertainment, and out-door activities on offer. Hills define our terrain and the back roads are popular with the “leaf peepers” and studio tours.

These photos were taken on a four-mile walk we do regularly from our house, mostly along Jackson Branch Ridge. The old cemetery contains names of some of the founders of the community, and some acquaintances. It’s a beautiful walk, with much to see in any season. The overhangs along the creek hint at hidden caves...

jk703 likes this.
  17. rdutch

rdutch Well-Known Member

metro sign, gateway arch, highway 40 sign, west sign, pin, Missouri overlay

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  18. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

I love living near the Minnesota Zoo!
    [​IMG]

19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

This is one of my favorite MOC challenges because I love geography and travel and learning about other places! I just enjoyed reading all the pages posted so far. :love

LynnG, Carla and jk703 like this.
  20. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I'm not sure I did this challenge justice, but I do love Seattle. Journaling in credits.

Elements: Childhood memories word art, work life tag, skyline, home brad, star brads (6), school days word art

[​IMG]

jk703, LynnG, Iowan and 1 other person like this.