January 11: Where I Live

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by jk703, Jan 11, 2022.

1. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

[​IMG]

CREDITS: LBW-BB-TRAVEL EDITION
    TEMPLATE BY SWL (SLIGHTLY MODIFIED)

-at least 100 words in journaling about where I live - I used 107 words
    -at least 5 location items - I used 1 map paper (circled Kansas City, 1 metal arrow, 1 pointer, 1 dotted arrow, 1 acrylic pointer
    -at least 1 photo - I used 5

I chose to highlight 2 of the things KC is known for: Royals and Chiefs. I used photos from Shelbys engagement session and some photos she took of the stadiums plus a photo of some art we bought.

Journaling reads:
    My hometown, Kansas City, Missouri! We are known for BBQ, Fountains and of course our sports teams: KC Royals Baseball team and KC Chiefs Football team! Shelby and Joven LOVE both of these sports and try to go often to games (pre-pandemic). Joven is a die hard Chiefs fan...loves everything about them and is quite funny to watch him watching a game. Shelby is more of a baseball fan. When they got engaged, they had pics done around both of the stadiums which was really special to them as they wore their jerseys for both teams as well. It sure made their session all the more memorable.

jesskab and jk703 like this.
  2. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

So if we aren't excited by where we live, don't explore really.... do we fake it/make something up or do we speak truth/say we aren't excited by the area and why we don't explore? :hide

AJK, bjthomas and jk703 like this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge. Working on a few ideas.

jk703 and Happy Mama like this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

You're answer is in your reply. You moved there and were happy to be closer to your family. Where did you visit and have a nice time with your family? Where did the kids enjoy?

Or, if that isn't workable, you could broaden your locale. You've never enjoyed a restaurant in the area? Have you taken the grandkids out to do something fun? You could focus on the state, rather than the city.

It's about perspective for me, and I do still believe that there are great places to see and do in all our areas. I guess my Positive Pollyanna shows through heavily for this challenge.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    AJK likes this.
  5. jk703

Here are some ideas I've thought of, let me know if any spark an interest for you. I'm throwing them out there, but can try to come up with more too.

Favorite restaurant? Ice Cream place? Favorite coffee joint? Dog park? Dog store to visit with the pups? Favorite holiday light show?

Maybe look broader than your town? Find something that you like about your state? A park you visited previously that was perfect for the dogs? Even your favorite dog friendly establishment? Maybe a great spot to take pictures?

Our favorite place could be at home too. With your dogs and family. Maybe take a pic of the house or the dog in the yard?

cfile likes this.
  6. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@jk703 Jenn - Can it be about the state I live in, or does it have to be about the actual town? I don't like putting the name of my town out there for the Internet to see, and it is truly a small and quite boring locale. Nothing notable about it whatsoever. I am, however, proud to be a Texan, and can make this challenge work for my state. Thanks so much!

AJK and jk703 like this.
  7. jk703

When you leave the area, are you still in the same state? Where do you do that is fun? Where do you and the grandkids have fun together? Do you have fun at home, or in your neighborhood?

AJK likes this.
  8. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

5 items: 1. Compass Stamp 2. Geo pointer 3. Ticket with globe 4. Arrows 5. Flair with road - 239 words + those labeling the photos.

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  9. jk703

State is perfect! :)

cfile and londoncuppa like this.
  10. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Karen, ashleywb and jk703 like this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

146 words, Lots of elements...map marker, arrow, wooden map, "we are here" tag and compass.
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Markers are all from the Life is an adventure collab. ; 2 here notes, 1 globe, I map ( behind the journaling) icompas type thing ( the red arrow is from the 2015 bundle .)
    Thanks for the challenge
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  13. Kat

We don't eat out. We are food allergic, aka no ice cream, no coffee joints. Dogs can't visit the dog park or the stores (Spare you the details on why)... the holiday light show down the road has a 4+ hour car line 3 miles down the road. Our dog friendly establishment... the vet. the groomer. Should I share the excitement of a torn ACL, 4k+ and 6 months of a limping dog still not fully recovered or the 200+ dog grooming bill once a month??

So this challenge is a fake it challenge or will I be docked for that? This is the first MOC challenge I looked at and honestly why sometimes this feels like a not very inclusive challenge/event. If we aren't excited by where we live, why couldn't we share that as well? Not everyone loves where they live or is super positive about everything. I have loved places I've lived, just not here. Maybe someday I'll adjust to avoiding death in the summer and bonus now in the winter since last year we were lucky not to be on of the hundreds dead with our -3 temps and no electric 32 times in a few days. There's a positive... we didn't die when the state couldn't keep the heat on for the coldest days in 100 years in the state. I promise I am not being rude, just glad for those who DO love where they live. One day I'll be one of them again I am sure. :funfun:sorry:shemademe:wine:wine:wine:wine

lmuscarella22 and Happy Mama like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I debated on our favorite walking trails, or the beauty of the leaves changing, or the watching the seasons change through the corn fields. But, I decided on the library. It's one of my favorite places to go.
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  15. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Elements: Map paper, map washi tape, tire prints, you are here geo tag, must see flair, scenic area sign & these that are specific to the city: guitar, cactus, chili pepper, hat, taco stamp, life is a fiesta word art (I hope that it is okay to use city specific elements as well but wasn't sure so have 5 that aren't as well.
    The template also had a big star - which seemed fitting for TX lol

Journaling reads
    Currently we are in San Antonio and I’m learning to love the city again. Mike & I lived here years ago before kids and it was one of my favorite places we’ve lived. We had a close knit group of friends, we loved all the restaurants to explore and try. Now though, well I’m learning to love it again because the food scene is still amazing - hello delicious tacos & food trucks to try! The weather is still absolutely one of my favorite climates to live in, it’s hot in the summer and warm in the winter (we have a couple cool/cold days to keep me appreciating the warmer days in January I can still wear my flip flops). This time though, we moved mid-pandemic so that made meeting friends hard (all of the folks we knew the first time are at different places now too). I miss the close friends, not working and staying home is something I love that I can do but it does make meeting new friends more difficult, especially now that we have teenagers. I’ve always been able to volunteer at school - but that of course wasn’t the same with Covid so that’s been slow going. I’m getting there though as school is back in session and sports are happening & it’s safe enough to have team get togethers besides games/practices so meeting other parents. Still this is a pretty great city, with lots of things to explore (we haven’t even tried half of them still) and the weather allows for outdoor exploring year round which is a huge bonus in my book. We hope this summer to take the kids down to the River Walk to check it out and of course find some delicious food too & explore more of the inside things like museums. There’s also a Spurs game on our date night bucket list this year. So here’s to loving and learning more about this pretty cool place while we have another year and a half to explore it.

cfile and jk703 like this.
  16. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Someone will absolutely not like me for this but I cannot believe that so many of you have such negative attitudes about where you live. I live in a very uneventful rural community and I could complain about a lot of things. About the fact that I have to travel 20 miles to actually find something to do. But I chose to live here because it was away from the hustle and bustle of the city, I liked the public school system for my kids and I was closer to family. So what if I have to make that drive. Stop being so negative. I may not completely like the exact location that I live in but there are plenty of things to do in the surrounding area, even if I do have to drive 20 or 30 miles.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@Kat What about your photography business? Do you have an outdoor spot you enjoy taking photos with clients? Or an indoor studio? Perhaps it's not as big or glamorous as you want it to be, but I know you have been working on growing your photography business.

cfile and jk703 like this.
  18. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

[​IMG]

167 words
    Wachtebeke is the municipality where I have lived for 42 years. It is a small, rural municipality near the Dutch border.
    When you think of Wachtebeke, you think of nature, water and the countryside. The greatest assets for our municipality are green. Wachtebeke has 3 forests – good for hours of walking and cycling fun.
    In addition to the 3 forests, we also have 3 unique waterways here: the Moervaart, the Langelede, originally a stream, but later widened to transport peat and the Zuidlede, a watercourse and a protected nature reserve.
    In our municipality you also have the Provincial Domain Puyenbroeck. You can go there for walking, cycling and sports. You can go swimming in the 50m pool, in the swimming paradise and for the smallest children there is a paddling pool.
    It is also fun to spend time with the children at the petting zoo. You can finish in the playgrounds and in the restaurant with a delicious waffle, pancake, an ice cream .... and so much more ...

Carla and jk703 like this.
  19. Kat

Maybe you should be a therapist?

20. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge! :D
    Some fun stuff done before the pandemic. I just saw on google the Hard Rock Cafe in my photos is permanently closed. :ignore
    116 words. One geotag, one map, two stamps, two street signs, one street arrow.
    [​IMG]

jk703 and Carla like this.