Did Father’s Day just sneaked on you? I have a simple but WOW project and it gets the kiddos involved in the present. Mind you, this is a quick project if you are enjoying some dry and warm temperatures. We did ours inside and it took a bit longer because you MUST wait for each step to dry before you start on the next one. NOTE: All the painting was done by my 8 year old. I only helped with the cutting of the template and outline with the permanent maker.
- 12×12 canvas (you can vary this depending how big you can print or copy the digital element)
- acrylic paints
- paint brushes
- contact paper (I used a shelving plastic cover with sticky back)
- printer, paper, scissors, x-acto knife (or blade)
- Father’s Day by Kate Hadfield
- Download your digital kit into your computer.
- Open the desired element, in this case I am using the element SUPERDAD from the Father’s Day kit by Kate Hadfield, in your preferred image software. I used Photoshop.
- I am a bit low in my color cartridge so I deleted all the color from the element. I used the magic wand and selected everything with color and hit the delete key. I ended up with just the black line around the element.
- Print the outline of the element (or the element) as big as possible or in the desired size to fit your canvas.
- Cut out the print out and trace into contact paper (repositionable sticky paper).
- I traced it backwards in the back of the sticky paper because it was a better surface to trace into.
- Paint the background using at least 3 values of the same colors and white acrylic paint. (In this picture we were just trying out the composition. We kept the negative of the template.
- Stick the negative cut out template into the dry canvas. (Our sticky paper had a wood grain look)
- Now place the inserts to create the super dad logo.
- You are ready to start painting. We picked 3 colors and white to make a more interesting look.
- Wait for it to dry before pulling out the contact paper. You may need to clean up some corners. I went around the entire logo with a permanent marker to make it pop. Sign your piece of art and you are done!
Hop over to the shop and take advantage of Kate’s Father’s Day sale, now through June 24th. We hope you are inspired to preserve a precious Father’s Day moment. Link us up if you do, we love to see what you create!