January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. LBscraps

LBscraps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/1964-power-of-love.335659/

My journaling:
    When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time at my Mimi and Bumpa’s house. I’m lucky they took lots of photos of me. It wasn’t easy in the early 60’s, when film and developing was expensive. I knew I was loved. They paid attention to me, they spent time with me, and they captured photos that reflected that love. My Mimi isn’t in many pictures at all. I can only imagine that she was more comfortable behind the camera. Having so few of her helps me remember to get in the frame with my grandsons. These little memory bubbles I hold dear to my heart. They are windows into a time when I had no responsibilities, when I could curl up in a lap and know I’d be protected and sheltered. When I could fling myself into either of my grandparents for hugs and kisses at any time. My fondest wish is that one day those I love look back at photos of themselves with me and their Grampy and treasure each moment. Each of their own little snippets of love.

Iowan likes this.
  2. cestrada123

cestrada123 Well-Known Member

3. crazsquaw

crazsquaw I can totally make that...

THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATION AND THIS CHALLENGE! ♥

[​IMG]

Journaling:
    'Photographs & Memories, circa 1970-1973
    These cherished photos, of moments in my life that I don't even remember... Yes, that is me, all adorable. These are a couple of my favorite people, my great grands, Grama & Grampa Green at their ranch in Dorris, California. I used to love going to visit, I would spend days there with them, my Grama & Grampa Rosecrans lived nearby (as well as my uncles and their families) and I would have fun watching HeeHaw or other old shows; I was taught how to crochet and to sew; I would play in the yard, ride horses and ride in the old pickup on the ranch with my Dad, Grampas or Uncles. My grandies were made from hard work & knew how to make it when the going got rough- I always admired that, and I miss my Greats & Grampa dearly, we lost them many years ago. My Grama is still with us, and in the early stages of dementia. I don't get to see my family often and it really bothers my heart. I keep saying "One of these days..." but one day it will have been too late. Life is too short and seems to be slipping away faster as the years go by.'

Iowan likes this.
  4. jjpederson125

jjpederson125 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hoping this counts. Its a story my Grandpa told to anyone that would listen for a long time and the tradition of the love of basketball, while not specifically said, is shown in that my Dad and my daughter are now enjoying the game together too.

Iowan likes this.
  5. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

6. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don’t remember this photo with Nana Shrimpton being taken at all… but considering I would have only been about three at the time that is not really that hard to understand why I don’t.

What I do remember is spending a lot of time with her (and Grandad) out at the farm. It was a wonderful place to spend time as a child… not only did you have time with your grandparents you also had their wonderful garden to explore… trees including fruit trees and plants everywhere with big lawns to play on too… though were they actually that big? Or was it just that I was small at the time…

Nana loved her garden and I remember she always seemed to have flowers in the house that she had picked and bought inside. That and the most amazing hydrangea hedge running up the side of the drive… maybe that’s where my love of hydrangeas came from. I just wish I could make them bloom and grow like I remember Nana’s doing.

Iowan and ToniSue like this.
  7. ToniSue

ToniSue Member

MOC 6 Day 26 Heritage
    [​IMG]

Kristin Aagard Outdoorsy: On the Lake
    August 2016 Storyteller
    Pretty Planks

Toni Sue

Iowan likes this.
  8. got2digiscrap

got2digiscrap Well-Known Member

Thank you for hosting. It was fun to go back into the previous century. =)
    [​IMG]
    kit: White Christmas by Kristin Aagard https://the-lilypad.com/store/digital-scrapbooking-kit-white-christmas.html
    template: Zine Style Revisited Template Pack 1 by Scrapping with Liz https://the-lilypad.com/store/Zine-Style-Revisited-Templates-1.html
    Journaling (266 words): We were always taught that family was important. Every year we always found a way to get together for Christmas and birthdays regardless of how many miles apart we were. We would have fun laughing with each other and learning and growing together. The times we spent together are some of the cherished moments in my childhood. Even as I grew up I still bestow in my children the importance of family and celebrations. Our traditions we experienced as a child are still being carried on with the next generations. My hopes are that our children will continue the traditions with their children as our family did for us. I remember when we would open our presents, go to the church statue and crawl into it and spend hours just visiting. The days we would go to the cornfield and watch the trains pass and the engineer would blow their horn at us, I still smile every time I see a train. The days when we would get on our bicycles and pedal down to the gas station to get a soda pop and ride the bicycles past the apple orchard and pick a fresh apple on the way home. These are the days that I think of quite often when I remember my childhood. The days of being surrounded by my family and had no worry in the world other then to have fun and we did have lots of hours of fun. When I need a smile I turn back to the days of a child in the twentieth century… The good old days.
    Link to Gallery: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/2018mocday26_traditionheritagejournaling.335908/

9. scrumptious

scrumptious Well-Known Member

Everyone's stories are so moving and captivating! I want to read them all. Thanks for such a lovely thoughtful challenge. At first I couldn't figure out how I was going to write 150 words, I just didn't want to go into the details of this story, but knowing I had to for the challenge then made me realize that I wish all these stories were written down from my family's past, of the good times and the hard ones.

[​IMG]

cookingmylife and RJMJ like this.
  10. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Phew!...Yay!...Finally Got This Tradition/Heritage Challenge Layout Done!...I Went With One B&W Photo
    Of My Mom's Sister,My Grandma(Her Mom) & Mom(My Mom) From June 1955...Eventhough This Is A
    Heritage Layout I Decided To Go With A Bit More Of A Retro Style & I Went With More Bold Colors &
    Bright Flowers & A Really Large Page-Size Bright Paint...I Love The Bright Colors & The Color Combo Of
    The Orange/Teal/Grey...Floral Paper & Grey Stripes For Contrast & All The Bright Flowers To Give This
    Layout A Real Punch Of Color...

*As Per The Rules-The Story I Told Is From The 1900-1999 Time Period...1955 To Be Exact...I Did Journal Way
    More Than 150 Words & The Year 1955 Is Featured Prominently On The Bottom Of My Photo*

*For My SGM Layout-I Used*

*Simple Life-Cottage Romance-Shabby Boho-At A Glance-A Moment-Lucky In Love-All Kits By Etc By Danyale

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    cookingmylife and Iowan like this.
  11. mummyd

mummyd Iron Maiden ...

12. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

13. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

mine, journaling on the credits:
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  14. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I am SOOO stuck on this one! I don't know what to do! :eek: *Sigh* I hate doing them out of order, but I've had to keep going...but I think about this one all the time...I just can't seem to get 'unstuck'! (And I'm running out of days!)

Iowan likes this.
  15. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

mine (english journaling is the credits) :
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  16. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I rarely scrap old memories, so this was a great push for me! I loved reading all your stories!

[​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  17. lvancura

lvancura Well-Known Member

18. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

19. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

I called up my dad to ask him about this photo. The journaling is the result of that conversation

[​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  20. nessita

nessita Well-Known Member