January 26: Remembrance or Tribute Layout

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 21, 2022.

1. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

360 words
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

358 words

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  3. turtlebug

turtlebug Well-Known Member

January 26: Remembrance or Tribute Layout
    [​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies -Music Messy

NBK Designs- CU Gesso Styles & Pattern #1

(340 words)

Oh, Frank!

My Dad was a huge Frank Sinatra fan! Every Sunday, the Philly radio station played Frank ALL morning. My Dad even had an intercom system installed so that the tunes would crank out throughout the house. I hated that intercom! I was so happy when I figured out how to turn it off in my room. But I got in trouble because I could not hear my mom call me! But, I digress from the story…

I have no idea what year or how old I was. I would guess it was 1976 and perhaps I was four. But I remember vividly when the velvet painting of Frank Sinatra arrived. Yes, VELVET. Like those Velvet Elvis paintings of the 70s, but Sinatra instead. You know you are jealous! Ooooo!

My mother ordered it from the local record store as a gift for my Dad. The three of us DROVE to the store to get it. (It was inner city Philly. We walked everywhere. Dad only drove to work). It was in a box and placed in the back seat with me.

Once we got back home, my Dad proudly hung it in a place of honor for all the world to see.

It was Daddy’s prized possession. My Dad died in 1985. I remember asking Mom if we could take it down, Nope. Mama even made me promise when she died I wouldn’t throw it out. So, there it remained for the next 46-ish years!

After Mama died and I sold the house in 2021, Frank was the very LAST thing I carried out of the house and then locked the door behind me for the last time.

Frank has been in my own house for about six months. I haven’t decided where to hang him, but I told my husband that he needs to be on display somewhere.

Life is funny. I once wanted that velvet painting to be GONE. And now that I can make that happen, it is the last thing I want to do!

bestcee likes this.
  4. Teeks

Teeks Active Member

bestcee likes this.
  5. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Tribute - 334 words

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This took a lot of time getting the facts correct on this page, but it's about my Grandpa's connection to the protagonist in the book Unbroken. My Grandpa was a pilot for bombing missions in the South Pacific in WWII and Louie was a bombardier. They were stationed in the same places and did the same things, so they must have known each other.

[​IMG]

7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

434 words
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

This is not at all the page I intended to create but this is the journaling that came out -- a letter and a promise to my BF's mother who passed away several years before he & I met.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, cfile and sm_amber like this.
  9. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

331 words-ish.. I did a count, but don't remember now that I've uploaded.. :giggle

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  10. kristinkristin

kristinkristin CT - Paislee Press

[​IMG]

413 words (journaling is in the post as well)

cfile likes this.
  11. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

336 word count..

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  12. emjaytee

emjaytee Active Member

Thanks for a great challenge. Here is my page. Credits and journaling in the gallery.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  13. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Thanks for this challenge! (317 words regarding New York)

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  14. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

Word Count: 469

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

16. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I definitely had a lot more I could have written, just ran out of room! Thanks for hosting this challenge!

[​IMG]

journaling {516 words}: I can not really remember a summer when I was young that we didn't spend at least one weekend at Raystown Lake. My dad had bought an old, small blue and white boat that he tuned up and we would take it to Blue Marsh with a cousin of his who also had a boat and go boating and fishing. When we first started taking the boat to Raystown Lake, my dad, my brother, and my dad's cousin's family would stay in a shabby, tiny cabin that literally had nothing but a table with some benches, and two sofas plus a loft with some single beds. We had to take all of our own linens and pretty much anything we would need. And for some reason, these were the happiest days of my childhood. We would get up early, pack a lunch, and spend the whole day out on the lake. We would always have a campfire at night after we were all cleaned up and had supper. It is actually a 27 mile, man-made reservoir in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. It was completed in 1973 by the Army Corps of Engineers. We would go swimming, fishing, and cruise around the lake. Sometimes, we would ride on the inner tube. Later, after my dad remarried, we continued to go to Raystown with our new family including our stepmom, Kathy, and her parents who we called Nan and Tom. We continued to rent the shabby, little cabin for a few summers, but eventually, they bought a little camper with an attached rec room. It was very small, but it was ours and it served its purpose. My brother and I learned to water ski on the lake after countless "lessons" from my dad and Tom with Nan chirping in every now and then. Ironically, Nan had never actually water skied in her life, but she was good at telling us how to do it! My brother and I learned countless lessons during our summers at Raystown. We learned how to build the perfect campfire, how to pack a cooler in the boat the proper way, and how to keep the camper clean. I can still hear Nan explaining to me to save the bags the bread came in because it worked perfectly for putting all of our sandwiches in after she put them in a Ziploc bag to put in the cooler. She had numerous little tricks like this that she would share with us whether we wanted to hear it or not. We even learned how to drive the boat. Dad would let us drive in the no-wake area when were kids exploring all the little coves of the lake. We would find driftwood to take back to the campground and put in our flower beds. We would always see lots of wildlife, like deer, herons, and Kingfishers as well as different species of fish. We even made friends with some of the other kids who would also spend their summer vacation at Raystown. Looking back, I have so many fond memories of summers at Raystown Lake.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  17. SheriScraps

SheriScraps Well-Known Member

Tribute to the two pets we just lost last year to age-related issues. So sad. Loved these two so much.
    304 words for journaling.
    I used the kit, SnapShots part 3 the moments by Lilypad Collab for this year.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  18. elwaechter

elwaechter Dances with Fairies

Someone I hadn't thought about in a while, but then the memories came flooding in! 445 words.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  19. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

I had so many options for this challenge, but I decided to go with a tribute to a very special hero from WW2!
    [​IMG]
    ETA: word count = 335

ArmyGrl likes this.
  20. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Thanks for the challenge Rae and for having the opportunity to remember my best girl
    [​IMG]