kristinkristin

MOC10 - Day 26: Remembrance or tribute layout

MOC10 - Day 26: Remembrance or tribute layout
kristinkristin, Jan 29, 2022
Description:
Journaling (413 words):
The other day, I spoke to my brother and two of our cousins about our grandparents and the house they lived in when we were kids. Talking about their house, it became obvious to me how many of my memories of my grandparents are connected to the house - but more than that, how much my happy memories of their house are filled with warmth and comfort because of my grandparents' presence.
I remember the cabinet in the livingroom, filled with small treasures from all their travels. We knew we weren't allowed to open it without permission, but I loved it when mormor would take things out and show them to me, and tell me stories about their vacations around Europe. I wish I could tell my mormor now how much I love travelling to European cities, too.
I remember the big rhdododendron in the small garden, and how morfar took care of it with such love.
I remember the heavy clips that mormor clipped to the tablecloth in the garden to weigh it down, so the wind wouldn't catch it. I remember having fika outside and her wonderful homemade cinnamon buns.
I remember morfar's tiny study and his big wooden desk; that's where he taught me to play patience.
I remember the small sign above the kitchen sink saying "Too many cooks may spoil the broth in some kitchens, but not mine - I like help". I obviously didn't speak English back then, but mormor happily translated.
I remember the bell that hung in the doorway between the livingroom and the hallway at Christmas time; it was a music box that played Silent Night when you pulled the little handle.
I remember the upstairs room where my brother and I would sleep when we stayed overnight, where they kept toys and games for visiting grandchildren. I remember the wooden chest in the basement, full of old, strange clothes that we used to play dress up. I remember that mormor always kept Festis (the old kind, back when they still came in pyramid shaped boxes) at home for us to drink. All these little things that they did in their home to keep us entertained and happy and to make their home welcoming for us! I took it all for granted then, and I think it's wonderful that I did: I wish all children would feel so loved by their families that they don't know what it's like not to be loved and cared for.

Supplies:
Oh Deer Papers by Sahin Designs
Cozy Cottage Papers by Sahin Designs
Cozy Cottage Elements by Sahin Designs
    • cfile
      So beautiful Kristin! I love that sweet photo with your grandparents, minimal elements and magazine style of journaling. Your memories are so sweet and I agree with your last sentence of wishing all children feel the love of family and being cared for. Definitely something to treasure and it truly (I think) shapes us as people. Just a beautiful tribute and memory!

Thank you for sharing and playing along with the MOC day 26 Rememberance/Tribute Challenge! Well Done!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    kristinkristin
    Date:
    Jan 29, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3600px
    Height:
    3600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).