January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

boy oh boy, did I have to do some thinking for journaling. A different time, different world.
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, threadjungle, LynnG and 5 others like this.
  3. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Great pages everyone!!!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Sure thing, it can be any story from the 1900s. It does not have to be a tradition.

5. huyentrang43

huyentrang43 Well-Known Member

6. Iowan

Good luck on your search, but no worries if you cannot find the photos, just tell a story from memory.

7. Anny-Libelle

Anny-Libelle Show me the way to the Misty Mountains

[​IMG]

Journaling in english:

This photo is from 1968. I had just turned 1 year old, so I only know this story as my mother told me. At that time my family consisted of my parents, my sister Kerstin and me. My brother was born 2 years later , so we were still four in this summer. We were on a camping holidays on the Baltic Sea.
    For me it was the first holidays of my young life. My parents had a little radio and as soon as music started, I started to dance. I had just learned to walk recently and stumbled rather uncertainly around the area, but dancing was so much easier for me and was my passion even then.
    According to the stories, I have did this very seriously and this can you see on my face.
    In the photo I stand on the camping table and offered a little show to my sister, my mom and my dad behind the camera. But not the smallest smile came over my lips, as much as the others laughed. Very concentrated I've perfected my dance style and wobbled more violently with my little butt. Even the neighbors in the adjoining tent were amused by the little dance mouse. Today I'm still love dancing , but never without a smile on my face. Meanwhile I love to smile and to laugh and I do it often.

threadjungle, Iowan and flowersgal like this.
  8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Drat! I groggily read the instructions today at 4:30 a.m. A thought came into my mind, I began scanning photos. Decided to use a template for this, found a template, started decorating the layout, wrote up my journaling (160+ words), decided I needed another photo and ended up with FOUR. Re-read the instructions. Will now have to remove that fourth photo. But that's okay. I will save with three (after I dink with the coloring on the ancient pics) and upload to the gallery and then add my fourth photo afterwards... Now I'm at work, so it will all have to happen after I get back home.

Iowan and bestcee like this.
  9. crazsquaw

crazsquaw I can totally make that...

Love this challenge...you ladies are killin' me with the 150 words requirements, but I LOVE it because I have been really wanting to journal, but always seem to use as little journaling as possible to get the info in.

Your page is absolutely gorgeous!!

JenniferJ, wenckechodan and Iowan like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I hope this counts as a heritage page as I kind of went in a little different direction. I talked about my parents' personalities, which are opposite of each other... And how my kids have "inherited" those personalities. :) Thank you, Carol, for giving me a chance to look through some old photos and for the platform to discuss how I see the bridge between generations!
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, threadjungle and jaharvey like this.
  11. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I love your story! I was born in February of 1979, in Illinois. My parents still tell the story of how my grandpa drove my mom, who was in labor with me, to the hospital safely... but my dad got stuck in the horrible snow storm! By luck, a police officer stopped and picked him up and took him to the hospital and was there right before I was born. Thanks for the story and inspiration! :)

JillW, LynnG, Iowan and 2 others like this.
  12. violaine

violaine Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge ! I'm so sensible to do that ...

[​IMG]

threadjungle, cookingmylife and Iowan like this.
  13. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

[​IMG]

Oops ... why do I always see an error AFTER I've posted a layout. Correction: It was daddy's maternal grandfather who gave him the pocket watch.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  14. Iowan

Yep, I’m one of those with the jacked up childhoods. I tell my husband that my weird childhood was so much more interesting than his “Leave it to Beaver” (old tv show with the perfect parents) one!

cookingmylife and blueberries like this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thanks for the challenge, if you cant see the journaling properly, it is in the credits on the gallery page. ca 180 words
    [​IMG]

16. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Here's mine.
    Is my date visible enough?

I have 170 words. The words are in the credits.

[​IMG]

Karen and Iowan like this.
  17. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

Fist bump...only child, divorced mother, middle 1950s, glass ceilings for women, etc., etc....jacked up childhood here too. I didn't know anyone actually had a “Leave it to Beaver” or "Donna Reed Show" childhood.Thought that was a myth. :bk

Iowan likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

When you really get to know people, I think most of us will find that very very few had the ideal childhoods the we think other kids did. Some are just more adept at keeping the family secrets, sadly.

My 189 words are in the gallery! I plan to do a matching page with more of this 1972 visit. My father had a big disappointment on this trip which became a funny story as the years went on.

[​IMG]

19. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I had to take pictures of my pictures since my poor scanner is not recognized by my new computer. 210 words. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    Rich and I both had families that never wanted to travel. My family would go to my grandparents twice a year. We always went the same route with no side excursions. One year, while at my grandparents, I was so excited because we were going to take a train to St. Louis with my family, cousins, aunts and uncles. I was crushed when I came down with German measles and the trip was canceled. We never did go. Rich had similar experiences with his family. That is one reason why we hit it off because we both wanted to travel.

This Javelin was our first car. It drove so well and was so pretty. It got us through all our mountain driving. In my mind and heart this car is still in my top 3 favorite cars we have owned.

Rich had joined the Navy Reserve thinking he could study and go on active duty with a higher rank. He had joined before we met and before he got drafted. (Vietnam era). His active duty allowed us to spend time in California. We had a ball traveling from Michigan to California several times to be together while he was in port. Each time we took a different route and one time we drove through Canada. So much fun.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    cookingmylife and threadjungle like this.
  20. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

The third photo on the bottom left is split into two. Please @Iowan let me know if that is not ok.

[​IMG]

threadjungle, Iowan and LynnG like this.