January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

This is a great challenge! I just rediscovered some older photos of my grandparents and would love to show them in some way. I'll have to work a little at the journaling though. I don't know if I can remember the old stories that grandpa was telling us on his deathbed. Otherwise, would it be ok if I just tell one of my experiences from visiting them?

Iowan likes this.
  2. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Fun challenge (190 words), hope its ok that I blurred out some identifying words.
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, cookingmylife, Iowan and 2 others like this.
  3. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Journaling is in the first comments since that and the credits didn't fit in the credit area of the upload portion. I did remove names and dates, leaving the years behind to protect identity since you can look that kind of information up online and steal someone's identity!!

Karen, meterr, KittyY and 4 others like this.
  4. suzyqscraps

suzyqscraps How now brown cow

[​IMG]

200 words of journaling:
    It all started in April 1950 with the marriage of my paternal grandparents. Instead of just wishing each other a “Happy Anniversary!” once a year, they made the 4th of every month a time to remember their marriage. I’m sure they didn’t remember every single month. But they kept up the tradition for 52 years, until my grandpa passed away. I wonder if my grandma still wished him a happy anniversary in her heart the 4th of every month. I wish I had thought to ask her that before she passed away in October 2017. My parents married in November 1979. And they continued the tradition. Of course, they celebrate the annual anniversary in the usual way, exchanging cards & going out together. My dad always buys flowers. But when the 3rd rolls around every month, they say “Happy Anniversary” to each other. 38 years now & still going strong. I remember this tradition fondly from my childhood. So when I was married in April 2006, I asked my sweet husband if we could keep up the tradition. And we have. It’s fun to try to be the first person on the 28th of each month to say “Happy Anniversary!”

got2digiscrap, BevG, Iowan and 2 others like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

174 words. Journaling reads:

Mom told me that about once a year her family would get a portrait taken. Since they didn't have the money to go to a studio, one of Grandpa's friends would come over to their house to take the photo. The one common thread is that they were always taken outside of their house in Oakland. I loved that Grandpa made sure this happened, for it is through these family groupings that we can see how Mom, Uncle Jack and Auntie Muriel grew from year to year. This photo is a particular favorite of mine, not because it shows the paper backdrop that was used to hide the house - which I think is rather amusing, but because of the smiles of mom and her siblings (and Mom looks so impish!). You can only imagine what they were thinking. It makes me wonder what the photographer said to make them smile, and that he made sure to get the photo at just the right moment in time. A moment frozen in time, captured forever.

[​IMG]

Mylinn, cookingmylife, bjc and 3 others like this.
  6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Your journaling and photo really warmed my heart - and I love your layout!!!!! I just had to say it!!

Iowan likes this.
  7. lorieh

lorieh Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge. I would not have gotten this memory down without it. I need to have my husband write or dictate his experience during the blizzard. It was completely different from mine. His dad traveled for work and made it home just ahead of the blizzard. The next morning, he could even see where his car was in the drive way. Thanks for the push to get this story down!
    [​IMG]

8. Erin Taylor

Erin Taylor Well-Known Member

9. Megan H

Megan H Well-Known Member

My Dad just recently gave me a bunch of family photos so this challenge was perfect!
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, cookingmylife, Iowan and 2 others like this.
  10. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yes, that would be perfect.

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Aww, thank you!

12. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

This was one of my very favorite challenges. I have big, close family with a lot of old photos and stories (along with hundreds and hundreds of letters) that I have intended to do something with for so long now. Thanks to this layout and another created earlier in the month, I've decided to start work on a heritage/family stories book that I can give to my children and nieces and nephews. Thanks for the kick start!

[​IMG]

Iowan and threadjungle like this.
  13. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Mylinn, Iowan and threadjungle like this.
  14. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

One of my favorite parts of the Month of Challenges is the incentive to scrap older photos which I just don't make the time to do, so THANK YOU for the gentle push to get those older stories told. :thumbsups
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  15. tammybean004

tammybean004 Well-Known Member

Journaling in Gallery:

[​IMG]

Mylinn and Iowan like this.
  16. threadjungle

threadjungle Well-Known Member

Day 26 MOC6 Tradition/Heritage
    Another great day of stories to read. Thank you to everyone.
    Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  17. lou

lou Well-Known Member

"Prominently" means something quite a lot bigger to me, but neither your example or any of the layouts display the date "prominently" so I am going to assume my date is "prominent" enough!

[​IMG]

Mylinn and Iowan like this.
  18. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Photos from the 1960's
    [​IMG]

Iowan and threadjungle like this.
  19. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

I grew up with my family doing RV trips across the country so I chose that. Don't have any pics myself so I grabbed one from Google (165 words)
    [​IMG]

20. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

**Edited to add- Awe crap. I can have only 3 photos. Off to fix- but I think this version is getting printed not my MOC version!**

220 words about my partner in crime since '82! ;)

[​IMG]

REdo- less words but still plenty for the rules. I had to delete the journaling that corresponded with the photo I deleted. :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018