January 11: On This Day (Journaling Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by HeatherB, Jan 11, 2018.

1. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

here is mine, my fav event of the fresh new year:

[​IMG]

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I had insomnia tonight - these memories were haunting me, so I got up and wrote them down and scrapped my page.

Day 11 On This Day Journaling Challenge:
    [​IMG]

Journaling:
    There are dates on the calendar that mark a change from one state of life to another. Milestones like births, graduations, marriages, and deaths. There are other emotional milestones such as the day you move out of your parents’ house, or the day you felt like a grown up. This particular milestone date has a lot of power to it; a power I had no idea at the time.

This date in December marked a hard transition in my life. It was the day we locked the door for one last time at the house I grew up in. After 49 years, my mother could no longer afford to keep the house, and despite us living with her to try to offset the cost, it just couldn’t be saved.

That day, I walked through the house, room by room, and in each room I stood in the middle, thanked God for the memories, and just stood and felt those memories. Room by room I videotaped with my thoughts, and then sat still, with my eyes closed, and felt each room.

I walked into my sister’s room - where I didn’t get to go into a lot but I constantly heard Cat Stevens songs coming through the walls; My brother’s room where I remembered the day he got his water bed, and the times I was scared and snuck in and slept on the floor next to his bed, to the bathroom where I remembered lazy nights soaking with a book, to the laundry room to remember the day the washer flooded and went through the wall and soaked my Jan and Dean record albums. I sat in the empty room that used to be my room and remembered long hours in there, and then later it became a prayer room, then eventually my Mom’s bedroom. Then I sat in the music room and just remembered all the nights I fell asleep listening to jam sessions of country music of my Dad’s. I remembered the family sing alongs, the times when Dad and I recorded and talked through the sessions. The songs lingered in the air. I walked down the long hall to the family room, where I heard echoes of holiday parties, long nights of conversations over 1000 piece puzzles, and countless meals cooked by my Mom and eaten by our family. I entered the living room, where I stood with my eyes closed and pictured family Christmases, birthday parties, our baby shower, and countless milestone days. Tears streamed down my face as I remembered faces and loved ones long gone. I took a peek into the Master bedroom and pictured my parents and in the later years, Michael and I making that room a home for a short time. Finally, I walked outside into the backyard. I could just hear the splashing of the cousins and family in the pool - watching babies learn to swim, and then the BBQ pit, where the Men gathered around and cooked the steaks, hot dogs, and hamburgers for parties.

As I walked through the house, my husband was closing up the garage and I joined him as I took one last look at the empty garage that used to contain my father’s home made slot car track. I remembered long hours racing with family and friends.

We closed the garage door, got into our fully packed van and a U-Haul trailer, and drove away from everything we had ever known. We moved to Las Vegas that day and left everything and everyone we knew behind. I had no idea that this day, which was an emotionally wrenching time, would be the start of the salvation of myself and of my little family. So much good lay ahead, but it would take time before some of the whys made sense, and how hardships, depression, and heartache could finally turn into some of the greatest blessings for our family.

Credits:
    Etc. by Danyale: On The Street We Live, Lifetime, Sundara

Allison Pennington: After the Rain Collab
    Forever Joy: After the Rain Collab
    Little Butterfly Wings: After the Rain Collab
    Kristin Aagard: After the Rain Collab

Amber LaBau: A Daring Adventure
    Studio Basic: Everyday Brave

KittyY, elk2009, JenniferJ and 5 others like this.
  4. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

Question - I have something my son wrote for mom's service and i would like to include it as part of my journaling...?

HeatherB likes this.
  5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@bonnenuit THIS brought tears to my eyes. It still burns in me like it was yesterday. I was 24 years old and loved this President and his wife. I was glued to the tv for a week!! Thanks for sharing this.

HeatherB and bonnenuit like this.
  6. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

It wasn't until I had this all finished and was about to upload it that I realized - OMG! - this happened EXACTLY 4 years ago today! I changed the title and here it is:
    [​IMG]

7. shastahun

shastahun Active Member

8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

[​IMG]

My translated journaling is in the gallery.

bjc, tammybean004, mcurtt and 3 others like this.
  9. Anny-Libelle

Anny-Libelle Show me the way to the Misty Mountains

[​IMG]

Journaling translated with google translator:

We wanted to spend our 25th silver wedding anniversary in a special place and fulfilled our long cherished life wish to fly to London. On the wedding day on breakfast table, Dirk surprised me with a nice bouquet white roses and a glass of champagner. He had secretly organized all this without my noticing it. I
    still do not know how that was possible. After breakfast we took the train to Windsor and Eton to spend the day there. We visited Windsor Castle and even saw the building with the private rooms of the queen . The whole area is very well maintained and we had the impression, each blade of grass had the
    same length. We walked through the beautiful town to Eton, where we took a look at the well-known elite boarding school. It was cool, to observe the boys in their school uniforms in their everyday lives.
    In a pub we ate traditional fish and chips and drank delicious ale. It was a beautiful sunny day with many great impressions. We often think about it and remember the wonderful hours we spent there.

10. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

11. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

This date jumped out so quickly, I knew I had to put it on a page, as this is a memory of our lives and explains why our Whitley is not in the photos of our lives for a space of time.

[​IMG]

Mylinn, ToniSue, tammybean004 and 9 others like this.
  13. andastra

andastra Can't knock me down for long!

[​IMG]

Text: We were invited to a friends wedding in June, which we did not expect to ever marry. Of course we were very happy about that.
    Our daughters were asked by the bride's sisters if they would help with a spectacle. Our youngest immediately agreed. She was very excited because she was allowed to play several roles. We played the "Vogelhochzeit". This is a German nursery rhyme. Several birds accompany the wedding of the newlyweds, such as a sparrow hawk, a thrush, a peacock, a vulture, a cockatoo and many others. The mother of the bride had sewn costumes for each child with her daughters and built the scenery. A week before the wedding, we met with our kids to practice the bird wedding. We mums had a lot of fun watching. You immediately felt the tension of the children during the wedding. They tried very hard. In the background, the costumes were moved diligently. Especially the little ones had their joy. There was a lot to laugh and even tears of joy. Thunderous applause followed for the young actors.We were very proud of our children! The groom and his wife were very touched. The performance was a complete success for everyone.

HeatherB likes this.
  14. AlannaH

AlannaH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge!
    [​IMG]

Mylinn and HeatherB like this.
  15. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

On this day: my grandson is born

[​IMG]

16. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

mine, journaling translated on the gallery

[​IMG]

17. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

18. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

I apologize up front for the length (I hit over 1500 words)...if you read this in the gallery it explains it all.
    [​IMG]

kayjaydo, threadjungle and HeatherB like this.
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG, I totally know which day I am doing because I totally messed up my hubby's bday AGAIN!

HeatherB likes this.
  20. andersm

andersm You can check out anytime you like ...