Hey scrappers, Polly Jewelle here! Today I have a two more tips in our pocket scrapping out of order series to share with you. Although I primarily do hybrid pocket scrapping I believe these tips can work with digital pocket scrapping as well. Let’s get started!
Tip #4 Create a tracking system
Deciding to pocket scrap out of order can be freeing, but can also lead to a lot of confusion. Did I already document this week? Now what week were these dates? Those are just a few of the questions that can leave you confused when pocket scrapping. I used to spend a good chunk of my scrapping time trying to choose a week to document that wasn’t already done. Finally one day it occurred to me to print off a yearly calendar and mark off the weeks that I have documented in my pocket pages.
I googled a yearly calendar and found the Calendar-365.com site that would allow me to print calendars from the past. As an added bonus the calendar listed the week numbers too! Each time I print photos for my pocket pages I highlight the week number. This is a quick way for me to reference what pictures I have waiting to be scrapped. When I finish a pocket page layout I highlight the days of the week signaling to me that that week is complete. I love how quick and easy this system is for me!
Below are my calendar pages for 2012 – 2015.
Tip #5 Create a storage system for memorabilia
If you plan to keep or include any type of memorabilia in your pocket pages creating storage system is a must! I went through many different ways of storing my memorabilia before falling in love with my current system. Maybe this system will work for you, or maybe it won’t, but find one that does work for you and use it! Having your memorabilia together makes pulling your pages together faster and easier.
My current system starts with me writing the date on the back of any memorabilia I want to keep. My brain is getting forgetful and if I don’t write it down instantly I won’t remember later. I then tuck the memorabilia into a small page protector I keep in my planner (size permitting). At the end of each month I take those tidbits and put them in chronological order. The tidbits are then placed in a hanging folder and stored in a filing box. When I print pictures I pull any memorabilia out of the filing box that corresponds with the week of pictures that I printed. It is super easy to find because it is in chronological order. This memorabilia then is put into a folder labeled with the week and date. In order to reuse the folders over and over, I use clear washi tape as a label to write on. Easy to remove when I’m finished documenting that week!
The folder is then stored on my desk in a small filing box that also holds my tracking system and the current box of pictures I’m working on. Having everything all together allows me to pull out my pocket pages and get to work quickly. Before I show you the picture of my smaller filing box, let’s be real for a moment. This system works amazing for me 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I create piles of stuff (aka memorabilia) that doesn’t get filed right away and even sometimes gets lost! While that little 10% is a thorn in my side sometimes I remind myself that at least I’m getting some memories documented. That is the true beauty of pocket scrapping!
I hope these tips have given you inspiration for pocket scrapping out of order. Check back next month for more tips to help with this process. Keep posting your pocket scrapping pages in TLP gallery!