January 11: Tell Me a Story

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by bestcee, Jan 11, 2021.

1. got2digiscrap

got2digiscrap Well-Known Member

journaling:
    The day you were born. My world changed forever. I became a stronger person. I learned to face my fears of blood and needles. I met some amazing people in NICU (the neonatalogists that treated you, the nurses that are forever our family, and fellow NICU roomates). Each one played an important role in your life But all of them helped me so much beyond words. I still to this day remember some of those conversations through all the nights of insomnia and worrying. To the very fond memories of the first day you got to wear clothing, the day you stamped your handprints on the shirt and all over you, your first day to allow me to hold you. I had been going every day to the hospital except when I was sick and ddin;t want to get you sick or your fellow NICU friends. On those days I would call and talk to the nurses. I called even on days when I would come see you because I always wanted to make sure you wre well. I knew you were in good hands between God’s will and the amazing nurses that cared for you during our NICU stay.

This picture was fifty-two days into our NICU journey but one of the most impactful days in my life. It was the day that I could finally get to hold you for the first time. I was so happy beyond words when we got the clearance to be able to hold you. No more going to the incubator and having you just hear my voice as I talked to you. I got to actually hold you. Not just a finger for you to wrap your entire hand around but the joy on you being in my arms.

As we look through the pictures I would take of you daily. When we see this one you always tell me how tiny you were. This picture does show how tiny you were when you joined us. For me it shows me how much with faith and willpower you can overcome. Everyday I am grateful for God granting my wish and having you in my life. You truly are an inspiration. You always remind me of how much you fought and went through during our beginning and still continue to climb and strive. Especially given you started out the size of a ruler and weighed one pound and five ounces when you were born.

I love you to the world and back and am honored that you are my little angel that I am blessed to call my son. Everyone that meets you loves you. You are a great little boy. You always like to correct me and tell me you are not a little boy that you are now almost nine years old; however, like I tell you correct my words but even when you are a hundred years old that you will still be my baby boy (today, tomorrow and everyday). xoxo

502 words

[​IMG]
    Link to the gallery: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/moc9_day11_best-day-ever.458846/

2. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

3. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

there's a bad translation in my gallery!

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  4. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

522 words - phew!
    [​IMG]

5. jjpederson125

jjpederson125 Well-Known Member

6. Lillyia

Lillyia Well-Known Member

7. Lillyia

Lillyia Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge - it wasn't journaling that was tough - it was finding a subject matter to write about. I am posting this one hesitantly, and only because after almost a week and a half, I still could not think of another topic.
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  8. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

9. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

I'm so happy I finally got this big story on paper! Word count and journaling translation in gallery description.
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  10. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

Loved this challenge! Thank you, Courtney, for hosting. I took a different approach to tell my story. Mine :)

[​IMG]

melidy likes this.
  11. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

[​IMG]

Friday December 4, 2020 I get notified that my Boston Scientific subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator S-ICD has three possible advisories out on it. I message my daughter as I just can’t look by myself. I then try to look up the advisory but it won’t work no matter how hard I try. I even text my best friend.

I’m scared, terrified actually. My S-ICD is there to save my life if I need it to. I depend on it to be able to save my life, I need to be able to depend on it 24/7/365. An advisory seriously affects me as a patient and thousands of others. Patients lose their lives over the reasons advisories are issued.

My daughter is busy on a zoom meeting, my friend isn’t replying back. I sent a photo of my card to my daughter and she looked it up. After her zoom meeting ended, my daughter came to me and said, “we need to talk.” And I knew that something was wrong. She told me that this advisory affects my device. My device is impacted by the premature battery depletion alert. My lead is clear of the two other advisories.

My S-ICD could have a premature battery depletion at any time, and not be there to protect me. I’m breathing heavily, I’m shaking, I’m crying. I’m overreacting. I know I’m overreacting, but I can’t calm myself. My daughter sees my state and gives me a big hug. We will get through this Mom.

Now I have to be the parent here as she also has a ICD that could have an advisory or failure at any time too. But she is right we will get through this. I slowly calm down, the tears stop, the shaking eases, yet I’m still heavily breathing. Why do these advisories keep affecting me? It’s frustrating . I know they affect thousands more, but right now it’s me I’m thinking of.

I think since I received my first S-ICD I have been subject to five or maybe six advisories. I have had a number of complications from having an ICD. As a patient it’s tiring, really exhausting to have to wonder what’s not going to work next. My sister had a cardiac arrest because she didn’t have an ICD then died even though she had one. My daughter got her own ICD when she was 17 to hopefully ensure she never has a cardiac arrest like her Aunt and I.

Most patients talk about being scared of a shock, I am not scared of a shock, I am more concerned if the S-ICD will work when I need it to. I don’t dwell on it, it’s not in my thoughts constantly, but having advisory after advisory issued does make me wonder.

By Wednesday December 9, 2020 my contact at my device clinic had called with a plan in place for checking my battery percentage remotely more often, every three months, instead of every six. If my battery seems to be depleting in a non expected way, it will be monitored even more closely. If it seems to deplete suddenly and prematurely then I will be scheduled to get another device. I will have an operation, the depleted device will be removed and new device implanted. Surgery comes with risks, and pain, and a whole lot of PTSD triggers. It does make me feel marginally better knowing my medical team has a plan in place. My remote check is scheduled for Wednesday the 20th of January. Until then I am trying to stay calm, and hopeful.

Postscript: Device clinic called and my device is at 76%, that news is a relief.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    bestcee likes this.
  12. mom2jackaia

mom2jackaia I wish more people were fluent in silence

13. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

Boy, as much as I journal this was a tough one to start and decided what I was going to talk about. I usually journal on every page, so I am going to try something different. :)
    [​IMG]

14. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

The photo is my 11th grade son, playing a soprano sax solo, and my 8th grade daughter, playing bass 5. The journaling is about my daughter, but the photo is mentioned in the text.

[​IMG]

WordCounter: 517 Words

The 2019-2020 school year ended without the usual fanfare and celebrations. Statewide, all of the schools had been closed since mid-March and the kids spent the remainder of the school year doing their work remotely online. This also meant that they missed out on the traditional end of the year activities. Nathan did not get the clap out and recognition that Dominic and Michaila received when they were promoted from the elementary to the middle school. Michaila did not get the awards ceremony that Dominic received when he was promoted to the high school, nor did she get the opportunity to leave school early on the last day to go watch the fifth grade clap out (which Dominic did, since Michaila was a fifth grader that year.)

However, the middle school principal did not want to let his eighth graders go without some sort of recognition. He had been with many of them their entire school career, moving from elementary school principle to middle school principle at the same time they came up. The school put together an awards and recognition video, with teachers presenting their awards from home. A few days before, the students had the opportunity to drive up to school to pick up their locker belongings, yearbooks, and certificates.

Michaila received several awards for her academics and the Director's Award for band. We didn't know what the band award was and we joked that it was because Dominic hadn't been a good enough student to receive one. We didn't know how many were given out or what the criteria was for it and we were looking forward to watching that portion of the video.

When Mr. Rabenold appeared on the screen, we eagerly listened to find out how many students received it and what they did to earn it. We were incredibly surprised to learn it only went to one student! And we knew who it was! He talked about how this student was helpful, courteous, and worked hard on their instrument. That they performed pieces two years in a row for Solo & Ensemble, a judged competition for band students, that is not required, but optional for students who want the challenge and opportunity to improve their skills. How they were "the heartbeat of the band". And it was Michaila! We squealed!

(The "heartbeat of the band" was an Easter Egg referring to the previous marching band season. The theme of the show was "Heart" and at the end of the saxophone duet, there was a moment of near complete silence, except for three slow beats from the largest bass drum. It was Michaila's uncredited solo, and we thought a pretty big deal, considering she was a first year marcher. Additionally, Dominic was one of the saxophones in the duet, so this show was pretty special to us all around.)

We thought it was very generous of her teacher to say so many nice things about her. We found out later that it was the first director's award ever given, which made it even more special that he chose her to receive it.

15. familyhistoryscrapper

familyhistoryscrapper Once upon a time there was this dragon ...

518 Words

[​IMG]

It's hard to believe where things have come for me in just 4 short years of belonging to the DAR. After years of doing family history research, my mom and I both joined the DAR just over 4 years ago. At first, we thought it wasn't even going to be possible as our application needed additional work since we didn't fully understand the application process. Thanks to some wonderful people who were able to help us we were able to get accepted into the DAR. At first, it was mostly about just getting accepted for genealogy purposes, but now DAR has become a huge part of my life. After joining, I was asked to help on a committee the next year. Feeling nervous and uncertain, I finally agreed. That one committee led to wanting to help and do more. Soon I was creating a new website for the chapter and helping to start up some youth awards again that hadn't been offered by our chapter for years. The next thing I knew they were calling me asking if I would step into the role of Historian for the chapter as the current officer had resigned. I honestly didn't think I had the time to do it as I have small children at home and a full time job. After some convincing, I finally agreed. One position, led to another and now I am the chapter's Vice Regent. I was just formally nominated to take on the role of Regent for the next two year term. That's not all DAR I have gotten involved in. Those wonderful people who helped my mom and I get through the difficult application process inspired me to learn more about that process. Now I work on a special team that helps new, interested members fill out their applications correctly. I have been asked to be a Vice Chair of a state committee, which is a true honor as I didn't think anyone in the state even knew who I was. I have slowly been building a name for myself within the organization as I learn about all I can do and all the ways I can help. That's not all DAR has brought to my life. The best part is the people and the friendships that have developed over these four short years. I consider my DAR 'sisters' to be such an important part of my life now. I am proud to be part of this wonderful organization, especially with my mom by my side. I cannot wait for the day when my own daughter is old enough to join DAR and learn about the wonderful ways that she can help and grow within the organization. As I look to the future I am pleased and excited to know that I will take on such a valuable role within my own chapter for the next two years as I step into the leadership role of Regent. I look forward to being able to attend my first state conference this Spring (either in person or virtually) and learning and growing more within this organization.

16. dbregant

dbregant Well-Known Member

This one hardly has room for elements, but the story was one I've put off recording in full. Thanks for pushing to get me to capture it. Theres over a 1,000 words, so I hope that meets the word count, lol!
    [​IMG]
    The 2014-2015 school year (aka band season) took us from the lowest of low to the highest of highs. There was never a doubt that Brycee would participate in marching band; however, she was nervous about auditions and learning to march her freshman year. Part of her motivation to transition from playing clarinet to baritone/euphonium was that she already knew most of the baritone section because they had been at our house all the time for the prior three years since Jed was the baritone section leader. (Besides, the clarinet section was HUGE and most likely
    Mrs. Britton would move some musicians out of that section anyway...also, can you say *drama*?!) Ray Smith was the baritone section leader as a senior this year. (we will always remember him being a nervous freshman during the informational meeting before the season started in 2011). He had known Brycee for several years and was a great mentor for her as a freshman, he was so encouraging and helpful during auditions. Brycee was overjoyed and so relieved when she made the cut after auditions!
    There were so many new musicians that we had to buy bibs from the drum & bugle corp in Arizona, and purchase bicycle-jersey jackets as we didn't have enough uniforms for all the incoming freshmen. The boosters also spray painted (gasp) the old blue shakos black to match the bibs and jackets. The 2014 show was "In the Dead of Night" and really went outside some traditional boxes for the Sandra Day O'Connor Eagle Pride Marching Band. The first movement of the show opened with skeleton/corpses laying on the field in a graveyard and a violin musician (hand-picked from the orchestra) playing a solo from Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saëns to wake the rest of the band up. It was a fun, light-hearted opening to see the kids join in with the featured violinist. The ballad was Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy and was so emotional as it depicted the loved ones who have gone before us as we reminisce and appreciate their presence. The final movement moves into The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance intertwined with phrases from Danse Macabre featuring electric and guitars, and the violin. The crowd LOVED IT! The show ended with a quiet drum cadence to put the skeletons back to sleep in their original graveyard position. There was always an eruption of applause and cheering with that final, eerie drum bass stroke.
    About a month into the season, I received a call from Brycee in the middle of band practice first hour. A senior tuba musician had committed suicide that morning and she wanted to be sure I knew she was alright. Understandably, we backed out of the band competition we were scheduled to attend the next day. Instead there was a special gathering at the football field with Ryan's family, alumni students and parents of the band who knew him. It was an outpouring of love for his family in remembrance and a healthy time for the kids (and adults) to process grief, confusion and talk about hard things. In the months moving forward, the kids made tributes to Ryan and shared artwork with his family, committed to wearing bracelets in awareness of mental health, the tubas got featured in a special homecoming set where they carried Ryan's tuba to center field and left it there. One set in The Black Parade was changed to include a huge heart the flute section made with red scarves. I recall what a tight-knit group this large 100+ student group had become and how supportive they were of their peers.
    The commitment to each other and their performances was more intense than we had ever seen and the end of the season proved it. The competition scores just kept climbing and climbing, we received so many captions and the kids were so proud of themselves and just kept working harder and harder. We made it through the State competition qualifying round and were ranked 7th going into the State Championship. That night was electric at Glendale Community college. Our family gets there early because the stands get packed for the section when the state’s top 10 Division 1 bands compete for the state championship, besides we really like to see all 10 bands perform. The performances were awesome, from patriotic to numerous props on the field and incredible marching! Once the bands are done performing, they sit in the visitor stands across the field from the audience.The O'Connor boosters always create some secret prop that we can hold up and "wave" to our kids. In the past we've used neon/florescent lights, pink boas, CD's (these work the best), but this year we made large glittering red hearts attached to paint stirring sticks to wave at the kids.The tabulation of scores always seem to take forever, and nerves just mount higher and higher. The scores are read from lowest to highest...10 to 1. We could hardly breathe when then they read the 3rd place and we were still in the running! They read the 2nd place and it wasn't us. Took a split second to realize that those precious kids won the State Championship for 2014. We spent a good 2 hours running around the field congratulating musicians, instructors and parents alike! It was a fitting end to a really tough season.
    The rewards were not over; however, the kids got invited to the Holiday Bowl parade and perform at the Holiday Bowl pre-game show. A small group played on an early-morning newscast for the local NBC morning show. But, the biggest surprise was they got invited to a TOP SECRET task! They practiced for a couple weeks, had to sign a non-disclosure statement and had police escort on a closed interstate. Most of the kids had to take a couple days off from school when it was over to rest up and recuperate, but I think they would agree that performing with Katy Perry at the Super Bowl XLIX on February 1, 2015 was worth it! This school year was a winding journey, but one I never want to forget!

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Phew! I've loved all the pages and stories you've shared so far. It's amazing to read about the highs and lows of life. Thank you for sharing yourselves!

18. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

ouch! hard one for me but i did it :-) 545 words

[​IMG]

This summer we had booked everything for a road trip in the south of the USA (Florida/Georgia/South Carolina) every 4. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic our Air France flight was obviously cancelled in mid-June (while I still believed in it...I was the eternal pessimist on that one...I was too optimistic: )., the USA being closed for several months already.
    I had evoked a plan B: a road trip to Poland...but when I arrived in July with all this uncertainty I had no desire to start such an organization! So we searched without success for a location in France: plan C also fell through!
    Plan D was to take a few nights in a hotel in Brittany to change the air a bit, except that all the French tourists had to make an appointment here in August, because no hotel was available either (we were looking in Abers or Crozon). So we started to move by the day (Ile de Batz, Guerledan etc).
    I looked at the plane tickets (my old demons are back...lol!), and I discovered a Nantes Edimbourgh for the Friday of the following week, perfect! we bought the tickets, quickly worked out a program by booking hotels and B&B....the Monday morning it's the cold shower!!!! we discover that the English government is again talking about quarantining some countries including France. We check if we can cancel our accommodations: there is one that is not in free cancellation, after having contacted the owner she assures us that she will reimburse us if by misfortune we have to cancel. We refresh the news continuously until Thursday when the decision has to be announced... we stayed with positive news in the evening of Wednesday. But it's a bit of a cold shower: the English government is changing its mind, the arrivals from France will be quarantined (fourteen) from Friday night to Saturday, at 4am.
    Luckily, our plane is supposed to land on Friday at 11pm, so we decide to take the risk and re-book everything on Friday morning from home before leaving: hotels, B&B, rental car and cab for the evening. It's a bit fast but it works! We go to Nantes happy to be able to go to Scotland for a week.
    The flight is crowded: the English having advanced their returns... We land around 11pm and at 11:15pm, watch in hand, we are in our cab to our hotel in the center of Edinburgh. There are very nice houses on the road! we are already in a different place. The driver is very nice, he obviously speaks to us about the consequences of the epidemic on the Scottish tourism: where there should be the crowd, the place is empty... In only 15 minutes, here we are at the hotel: the ACE one 4 stars hotel on Grassmarket, at the foot of Victoria Street, with a magnificent view on the castle from our room. What happiness to say that we could leave ! and that a good week of change of scenery awaits us: 2 nights in Edinburgh, 2 nights near Fort William and 2 nights in Braemar in the Cairngorns.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

19. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

20. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

Day 10 - Tell Me A Story (500+ words)

Gallery:

Day-11-600.jpg