sakura-panda

Untitled (Director's Award)

Untitled (Director's Award)
sakura-panda, Jan 22, 2021
Description:
My daughter received the only director's award at the 8th grade recognition. Unfortunately, because of COVID restrictions, the ceremony was virtual and she did not get a public celebration. However, it is one of my favorite memories from this past year.

Photo taken November 2019 / Layout created January 2021

Supplies list: Bear Hugs by Kristin Aagard; font is DJB Writes a Lot

The 2019-2020 school year ended without the usual fanfare and celebrations. Statewide, all of the schools had been closed since mid-March and the kids spent the remainder of the school year doing their work remotely online. This also meant that they missed out on the traditional end of the year activities. Nathan did not get the clap out and recognition that Dominic and Michaila received when they were promoted from the elementary to the middle school. Michaila did not get the awards ceremony that Dominic received when he was promoted to the high school, nor did she get the opportunity to leave school early on the last day to go watch the fifth grade clap out (which Dominic did, since Michaila was a fifth grader that year.)

However, the middle school principal did not want to let his eighth graders go without some sort of recognition. He had been with many of them their entire school career, moving from elementary school principle to middle school principle at the same time they came up. The school put together an awards and recognition video, with teachers presenting their awards from home. A few days before, the students had the opportunity to drive up to school to pick up their locker belongings, yearbooks, and certificates.

Michaila received several awards for her academics and the Director's Award for band. We didn't know what the band award was and we joked that it was because Dominic hadn't been a good enough student to receive one. We didn't know how many were given out or what the criteria was for it and we were looking forward to watching that portion of the video.

When Mr. Rabenold appeared on the screen, we eagerly listened to find out how many students received it and what they did to earn it. We were incredibly surprised to learn it only went to one student! And we knew who it was! He talked about how this student was helpful, courteous, and worked hard on their instrument. That they performed pieces two years in a row for Solo & Ensemble, a judged competition for band students, that is not required, but optional for students who want the challenge and opportunity to improve their skills. How they were "the heartbeat of the band". And it was Michaila! We squealed!

(The "heartbeat of the band" was an Easter Egg referring to the previous marching band season. The theme of the show was "Heart" and at the end of the saxophone duet, there was a moment of near complete silence, except for three slow beats from the largest bass drum. It was Michaila's uncredited solo, and we thought a pretty big deal, considering she was a first year marcher. Additionally, Dominic was one of the saxophones in the duet, so this show was pretty special to us all around.)

We thought it was very generous of her teacher to say so many nice things about her. We found out later that it was the first director's award ever given, which made it even more special that he chose her to receive it.
    • StefanieS
      Congrats on her achieving the first ever director's award. Extra special to receive words of affirmation. Love the pops of red to anchor the photo visually and draw attention back to the photo.
    • bestcee
      I love that you used the spoiler box to make your journaling block smaller!
      I love that Michaila got the first Director's Award! I adore the details about what her teacher said about her. Thanks for playing in my challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    sakura-panda
    Date:
    Jan 22, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    418.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).