January 11: Tell Me a Story

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by bestcee, Jan 11, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Welcome to MOC Day 11! How are you doing? My challenge is your 1/3 point! You got this! If you know me, you know that I love to tell stories in my scrapping. It’s my reason for scrapping. So, it should be no surprise that today is a journaling challenge.

Today’s challenge is to fill at least ½ of your page with journaling. Your page must be at least letter size (8.5” X 11”) or A4 size for this challenge. 12x12 is also fine. You should have at least 500 words. You have the freedom to write about any true story you want. Your journaling must be words, not music lyrics or filler words, etc. This is an opportunity for you to tell a long story. No photo is required.

I chose to tell the story of our move. The number one question we get asked is “Why Indiana?” I admit, Las Vegas to Small Town, Indiana is a huge change! It’s a story that was about 1 year in the making, and I wanted to document all the details. In case you are curious, this is 762 words on 12x12 canvas.

[​IMG]

If you are struggling with getting your story to the right length, here’s a few thoughts:

· Try the 5 W’s and 1 H: Who is in the story? What is happening? When did it happen? Why is it important? Why are those people there? Where did it happen? How did it affect you? How did it affect the people in your story? How did it come to pass?

· Imagine telling the story to your parent, your sibling, your cousin, your best friend, your spouse, really any person that you chat for hours with. What details would you include to set the scene and explain it?

In the words of my son’s 4th grade teacher: If you can think the story, you can tell the story. If you can tell the story, you can write the story.

To recap:

1. Tell me a true story that is at least 500 words.
    2. Your page must be at least 8.5” x 11” or A4 size.
    3. Your story should fill at least half of your page. It can fill up more.
    Please post your word count with your page. I use: https://wordcounter.net/ I'd love it if you posted your journaling too for me to read!
    4. Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    4. Your journaling should be in complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word over and over. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me (bestcee) or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    5. Your journaling should be legible and readable. If your page is not in English, we ask that you translate your journaling to English and post the translation in your gallery credits. If your journaling has been distressed or your font is too small to read, you should post your journaling in your gallery credits. Again, if your journaling is sensitive and/or personal, please message me (bestcee) or Julie directly to discuss.
    6. Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Does a square layout also qualify? (12" x 12")
    Or does it have to be rectangular?

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. bestcee

Clarifications:

Absolutely! Anything bigger than 8.5 x11: 11x11 12x12 are perfectly okay!

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This could be an interesting one for me, I don’t tend to tell very long stories so not sure what I’ll scrap about yet.

bestcee likes this.
  5. bestcee

You got this! You could tell the journey of school, or your job search process or anything you can think of!

6. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!
    Love the challenge. Can't wait to play.

bestcee likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

Actually, I’ve got the perfect story.....just got to find some time to do it. Darn job hunt getting in the way of scrapping - I always knew it would, was just a matter of when it would. Think I have 6 job applications (so far) to do between now and the 20th with a seventh due on the 25th.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

Take a moment to write down your idea. That way if you have spare time - waiting on the phone or something, you can jot down the words. I"m glad you thought of something so fast!

littlekiwi likes this.
  9. littlekiwi

@bestcee its only just happened over this past week and been resolved less than 8 hours ago so fresh in my memory.

bestcee likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Here is my page Courtney. Thanks for a fun challenge! (566 words) [journaling noted in gallery]

[​IMG]

rrred68, knclark and Angela Toucan like this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    909 words, journaling in gallery.
    Wow! Who knew that was all hiding inside of me waiting to be told.

LynnG, bestcee, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  13. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Thank you for the fun challenge! I loved creating my layout!
    I have:
    534 words in Dutch
    593 words in English
    My story is about our new years' drink at work which was now digital and online instead of in person, due to all the measures taken to control the coronavirus.
    The translation of my journal is in the credits.

[​IMG]

Smileark, cfile and threadjungle like this.
  14. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

573 words - if you cannot read on layout, I have included with my credits. This was another "gah" moment when I first read the challenge. But once I came up with my idea, 500 words was not to hard. Thank you for the challenge! This will be the last page in my 2020 yearbook!

[​IMG]

LynnG and cfile like this.
  15. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Thank you for this challenge!

[​IMG]

16. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

over achiever-because I have wanted to scrap this story forever!! lol 933 words, but I have 500 on left side and 433 on right! lol
    [​IMG]

orangegrl, Lillyia and threadjungle like this.
  17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Here is my page, 515 words. Mine is a story of 2020. [​IMG]

18. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

I love a good story! 560 words
    [​IMG]

LynnG and threadjungle like this.
  19. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

20. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

1,031 words to tell my story of 2020

[​IMG]
    (journaling is in the detail description in the gallery)

Joan K and threadjungle like this.