Lynn Grieveson - Aug 2020 - How far can you make a kit go?

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by flowersgal, Aug 1, 2020.

1. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

flowersgal and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge, Patsy. I made a 2 pager and used Lynn's Tastes Like Summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flowersgal, Mingo08 and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

I needed an excuse to acquire a Lynn Grieveson kit that I'd been eyeing - Bee Curious . I combined it with some LG templates I'd been hoarding - Messy Pockets Photobooth I'd originally acquired the pockets as part of a style collection for a large trip that we were planning this summer - that didn't happen. So, I decided to use them for an excursion we made last autumn and the theme was perfect. We went to the Keeweenau Peninsula just because we were curious! I'm going to continue using the kit as a base along with these templates, and probably some other offerings, to finish the story of that trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mielz likes this.
  4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@Mingo08 - Glad this challenge could provide you with a reason to get that kit you have been wanting! You used it beautifully in these two layouts and I like your idea of using it throughout as a base to finish the story of your trip. Now that's a great way to stretch your stash. Thanks for sharing your layouts and your ideas.

Mingo08 likes this.
  5. Mingo08

@flowersgal I like the idea of using either a kit, or at least the color combo of a collection, as the start to all of my travel LOs. I find the limitations pretty freeing, honestly - I'm not faced with the entirety of my stash each time I start a page.

If I know I'm going to have a *lot* of pages - DH's last bicycling trip took 18 LOs to cover - I will find a template series *and* a kit to use as a base, usually making sub-categories of elements. DH chose cameras, chevrons, a state stamp, and wanted the daily route map on each page/set. For that project, I chose a template set featuring one large photo and 2-4 smaller photos, to minimize how many photos I'd work with (and because I knew he wouldn't take a lot of pictures!) And then chose a color scheme that fit the ride (dark coral, grey, lime green, and a range of blues/aquas, with white.) It all came out pretty well and felt cohesive - though it's still tough to scrap a trip you don't actually participate in yourself!

None of it is in TLP gallery, I'm afraid, as it's a mashup of various designers and such... *shrug* :)

flowersgal likes this.
  6. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

7. flowersgal

@Mingo08 - We are kindred spirits I think. I, too, like to choose a template set and one or two kits to do an entire album when it's a single trip. My favorites are some of those -- usually 25 to 40 pages and they just call to me.

More recently DH let me know he likes all our yearly trips in one album so I have been less consistent with not as much planning but still trying to keep each location consistent within. I know what you mean about things you can't post. I have supplies from other places that I'd love to use but rarely do because they don't meet gallery requirements.

8. Mingo08

Yes, and sometimes I don't use a *lot* of extras, so I feel like the template weight of 15% is a bit "off" for the overall page, but recognize that some sort of standard has to be applied. It's a sticky wicket, for sure. But that's OK - I just do the pages that make me happy and roll with it! Some designers I favor for their templates, others for their kits/elements/extras - it all evens out in the end.

I'm pretty sure I'm not skimping on supporting my favorite designers, wherever they are hosted.... (ROTFLOL!)

That said, I only do the forums here, though I know there are others out there. I do a FB page for a template designer (because I used her stencils when I still did paper scrapping), but that's about it. I like the challenges, the style of the forums, the support, and interesting stuff here at the Lilypad!

Angela Toucan and flowersgal like this.
  9. flowersgal

@Mingo08 - well I'm glad you are here. This is the only shop at which I "play" -- challenges, chats, special events like MOC, etc. The Lilypad is a fun place with lots of activity and inspiration. Welcome!

Angela Toucan and Mingo08 like this.
  10. heather_dw

heather_dw Well-Known Member

11. NettieBee

NettieBee Member

I didn't think I would, but I really enjoyed this challenge. Thank you!
    I used Bristol Kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  12. flowersgal

@NettieBee - so glad you enjoyed the challenge. Isn't is amazing sometimes how our attitudes can change as we try something that initially didn't appeal to us? You picked a perfect kit for your lovely beach photos. Thanks for taking the challenge.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  13. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Love making my supplies go further! Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

just so i undeerstand you use one kit for both layouts. a lynn template doesnt count as a kit right ? and can the two layouts use different lynn templates?

16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

yes, one kit fro both layouts
    yes, you can use 2 different templates.
    have fun.

flowersgal likes this.
  17. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NOW WE WAIT
    This "Big Photo Pocket" template is from Lynn Grieveson, and the elements are from her "Now is the Time" kit.

[​IMG]

AUGUST NEWS
    This newsletter template is from Lynn Grieveson, and the elements are from her "Now is the Time" kit.

18. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

this is a great challenge. i really loved making this work . i cant believe how entirely different in feel the two layouts are with just the same kit.

both with the botanical mix kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Angela Toucan and flowersgal like this.
  19. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

What a wonderful challenge! Thank you!!!
    I used the Turning It Around kit, but I could have used any of Lynn's amazing kits!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

I think the idea of creating 2 different layouts from a KIT is absolutely brilliant and I also had a lot of fun- thank you so much for the wonderful Challenge!
    I used "bobo vipes"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Angela Toucan likes this.