July 19 Photography : Getting Close

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by MrsPeel, Jul 19, 2017.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello!!!!! So happy to be hosting again!!!! Even more so in photography, it gives me an incentive to refresh my memory and have encouragement to take more pictures!

So initially I was going to call this a macro challenge... but as the definition of macro is somehow specific, I am not all that good with the camera even though we have two DSLRs at home.... and I want to apply the challenge for us to make either a memory keep or an art journal page...you can, if you want, go for the extreme close up, but no need to go for extreme, but close enough to bring something close , look for different angles in which you can make the photo more interesting, and put the photo to work on a page to make a record of a special day/ something you love, something you can't live without....

One of the most beautiful photos I have taken in the past few years is this:
    [​IMG]

It was taken at a cemetery, with a Nikon D40, wont make the story long, but we took over 500 photos this day, then making a page that represented the day by just choosing a couple of them so I chose one of the ornaments in a grave and then this one, which actually is what stayed the most vivid in my memory as I didn't know we could find black berries at a cemetery and that we could grab them and take them home!!!!- The page has more impact than if I would shown a whole statue! So, no much needed on a form of journaling...just a few lines to explain and the record is made!

I was indecisive (as usual! LOL)..I couldn't choose one from all the close ups...I decided to make a page about the macros/close up photography

[​IMG]

I know there are a lot of you here who are photographers or amazingly great amateurs, but if you aren't but are adventurous and would like to go for proper macros, here are a couple of links that can be extremely helpful:

https://digital-photography-school.com/macro-photography-for-beginners-part-1/

https://www.outdoorphotographer.com...p-of-week/10-quick-tips-for-better-close-ups/

If you have an iPhone, Mac has some tutorials in their site too!!!

So, is THIS SIMPLE!!! : find something you love, it can be an object you use everyday and cannot live without, can be a little toy that was your baby's and you have kept even if your "baby" is now 21 (guilty here, as a matter of fact IO kept so much I need to purge LOL)
    you can photograph a meal you just had or one you are in the process of making, just get creative, find different angles or try different types of light, get CLOSE to the subject - I find the quality is better if I stand back a bit and let the zoom find the object as near as possible.

So that's it: is summer, is fun, so the only rules are that you have fun, try something new or find a different way with something you have done for ages, in this case, let us know any tips you may have and follow The Lilypad Gallery Guidelines when posting.

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

Looking forward to seeing your pages!!!!!!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oooh! Close up. We are headed to a splash pad tomorrow, maybe I'll get some good close water shots!

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Great challenge, Cynthia! :beat

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. MrsPeel

jk703 likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that berry photo is SO gorgeous Cynthia! great challenge!

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. MrsPeel

@jenn mccabe :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub thank you!!! I'm proud of so many photos I took there...is a step away from us, we go every summer as my next door neighbour/friend who passed away is buried there, the black berry picking makes the trip make us remember her with happy feelings <3 still miss her dearly, 10 years on ....

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@MrsPeel This is great, Cynthia. Macro photography is something I've really been wanting to toy around with. I think that type of pic is fascinating. I bought a couple of macro lenses that attach to my iPhone, but I haven't tried them out yet. Since I gave my DSLR to Callan last year, I shoot exclusively with my phone. I'm saving for a new one though...yay!).

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

9. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

FYI - You can get closer to something with your phone camera (as is, no special lens needed) than you can with most DSLR lens. So go see how close you can get.

MrsPeel likes this.
  11. BevG

Another reason to get in close: to create an abstract design or single out a particular aspect of an item. Any guess what this is? I will post the answer as a comment on the layout after a day or so.
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  12. MrsPeel

oh yes!!!!! I think I did mention in the initial post that Apple has some articles about how to do macro with iPhone, and I know I have seen some amazing close ups with androids too!!! I haven;'t got a cel phone, not smart or dumb LOL but I know photography in phones is now as advanced as some DSLRs!!!!
    I'm puzzled as to what iot is....
    first I thought part of a fire place? but then I see light like day light coming from the other side? not sure, but the page is amazing!!!!!!! super great use of macro indeed!!!!!!

13. BevG

And the answer --- front of an old tractor
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  14. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@BevG Oh, I like the idea of a 2 pager with one close up and one far out.

MrsPeel and BevG like this.
  15. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I haven't done a macro shot in ages...hubby needs to fix my lens this evening so hopefully I can get something this weekend...I've always loved the way macros look!

MrsPeel likes this.
  16. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

This is supposed to look like one of those old kraft paper scrapbooks people used to glue collections into.

[​IMG]

Rikki and MrsPeel like this.
  17. Rikki

This was such fun. I recently bought a really cheap little lens for my iPhone at TK Maxx (it was like 1€) and it is a real a pain (goes in and out of focus, comes off all the time etc.), but I managed to get a few semi decent shots of my baby pelargonia.
    I am hooked now and bought a proper set of lenses, can't wait for them to arrive and to play with them. Thanks @MrsPeel for the kick in the ....:-)

It's a 2-pager (I couldn't decide which photos to leave out).

[​IMG]

And these are the individual pages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ashleywb and MrsPeel like this.
  18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

19. Rikki

@MrsPeel Cynthia, about the question you asked in the gallery. The lens is a small macro lens for the iPhone that you attach with suction pads.

MrsPeel likes this.
  20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I gave up on my hubby ever getting around to fixing my macro lens...so here's a close up of my Dexter who was sitting in a box LOL!

[​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.