This summer I’ve been going to the National Day calendar to find ideas for activities to liven things up.
I was excited to see that this Thursday, July 9th is National Sugar Cookie Day!!! Sugar cookies are a holiday favorite, so I’m going to take this opportunity to tell you to mark your calendars for our Christmas in July event here at the Pad on July 17-31. But what I love most about sugar cookies are how easy they are to make because they use simple ingredients that most of us have on hand. They are also versatile and fun to decorate for any special occasion.
Today, I’m sharing an easy recipe you can use to make sugar cookies on Thursday. My kiddos and I will be making and decorating them together!
Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe:
2 3/4 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Stir flour, baking soda and baking powder together in small bowl. Set aside.
3. In large bowl cream together butter & sugar until smooth.
4. Beat in egg & vanilla.
5. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
6. Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes.
8. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Decorate with frosting and sprinkles or leave as is and enjoy!!!
To celebrate National Sugar Cookie Day this year, you can make some sugar cookies of your own and/or create a layout telling a story of baking sugar cookies or your favorite recipe.
I hope you enjoy this cookie recipe and the excuse it gives to make an ordinary Thursday in July a little extra special.