What have you read recently?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by jk703, Mar 13, 2023.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I read lots of non-fiction, and now thanks to Storygraph (to which I switched from Goodreads this year) I can tell you about 38% of my book-reading is non-fiction. :D If anyone wants to follow me over to Storygraph, here's my profile page. https://app.thestorygraph.com/profile/michelekendzie I love that it's not Amazon, the pages are clean, and it gives a lot more data in interesting graph form. The only thing I slightly miss is the newsletter I get from Goodreads telling me what my friends are reading. Storygraph also has fewer users, which means fewer reviews, which is disappointing because I like to read reviews after finishing a book, as kind of a post-reading discussion, but it's growing, especially if you all come join me there!

Here are just a few of the graphs from my Storygraph stats page. It's based on 286 books I've read over the last several years. When we start at Storygraph, we can export our Goodreads data and import it to Storygraph.
    Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 8.39.44 AM.png Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 8.39.08 AM.png

Lynnette likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

LOL! I just found that last night! My Amazon Goodreads is a mess because once upon a time they added everything from your book history to Goodreads. And I picked up a lot of free books at that time! Plus, it has mine, munchkin, and husband on there. And any books we've bought as presents. Sigh. I think I got it turned off so it doesn't do that now, but it's such a mess, I rarely use it anymore.

michelepixels likes this.
  3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Exactly. I'm "reading" it on audiobook. :) She does provide a LOT of information, though, as sometimes I think this one might actually be better in written form to make it a bit easier to work through.

jk703 likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm so excited. Addie LaRue is our Book Club's Bonus book! They started talking about it, and I was all where did I see this or read about it! :giggle (We have one book, and for fast readers a Bonus Book)

And... our book club book is Mad Honey.
    [​IMG]

Laura ODonnell and Karen like this.
  5. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

Right now I am reading The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. I am on a bit of a Ruth Ware binge. This is the 3rd of her books I've read this year. I've also read The It Girl and The Death of Mrs. Westaway. Loved them all. She's described as a modern day Agatha Christie and I agree.

I am also reading This Book Won't Make You Happy which is a positive psychology book. I've checked it out of the library on kindle. I'm only 20% in and I've got so much highlighted, this book is so good I think its one to own and I should go ahead and buy it. Highly recommend.

Karen likes this.
  6. Laura ODonnell

I read Mad Honey. Really liked it. I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult. I always like after the end when she talks about the research she did for her stories. This one has an interview between the 2 authors.

jk703 likes this.
  7. Laura ODonnell

I am a fan of America's Test Kitchen, too. They also have a tv show and a youtube channel. I used to get their magazine. Some of their recipes I've been making for more than 20 years.

littlekiwi likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

If you are into a light hearted non fiction read that is bordering on fiction then Thirty Thousand Bottles of Wine and a Pig Called Helga is a great book to read. My mum actually borrowed it from the library, read it from cover to cover, told me about it and I said let me read it....I've started it now and can't put it down!

[​IMG]

9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I need to get back into reading. The last thing I read was "Magnolia" magazine. I can't remember when I last read a book!

10. littlekiwi

I was the same for years, honestly fiction tends to not keep my interest long enough plus I find the later it is the harder it is on my eyes to stay focused on smaller things so I try not to read too much late

11. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I can relate!
    I would have never finished The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili of it wouldn’t have been audio. But I loved it very much in the end.

12. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

My last literary read was The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld (I obviously read the original in Dutch). I’m still not sure how I feel about it but I loved his poetry first and am also liking the writer as a person. And sometimes that’s all you need to buy books, don’t you agree? A pretty cover, a good interview, a friend recommendation. Sooo I have his second book ready to start into. But it’s definitely something I need to be in the mood for.

jk703 likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm 19 books into my reading challenge this year. I mainly read fiction and listen to non-fiction. Here are my favorites this year so far:

FICTION:
    The Song of Achilles (free on prime reading - at least it was last week)
    The Lager Queen of Minnesota - staff pick in our local book store and loved the story
    The Guncle - Expected funny, but didn't expect this to be as touching of a story as it was
    Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - loved this one
    Remarkably Bright Creatures

NONFICTION:
    ^^Agreed! Such a complicated and tragic story... but very well told. The reader for the audiobook was great too.
    Talking to Girls about Duran Duran - This was a fun listen especially if you grew up in the Duran Duran era
    Mediocre: The Dangerous Legacy of White Male America - I think this one should be a required listen/read. It is not as confrontational as one might think from the title, but is sooooo educational about the policies and practices that have gotten us to this point today.
    Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive - another very educational book
    The Radium Girls - mixed on this one because the writing isn't the best and the reader's voice can be annoying BUT the story itself is so fascinating and infuriating that I would still highly recommend it

jk703 likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I really enjoyed the Charlie Holmberg series, both Spellbreaker and Paper Magician... I'm waiting for one book to be released to start on her newest.

I finished Mad Honey.... it was not what I expected. I will say it was actually educational for me to read it! I loved the ending, lol!

15. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

LOVED The Guncle and Remarkably Bright Creatures, both of which I read in the past few months. They are such sweet, touching books.

16. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

My recent books are:
    Spare by Prince Harry
    The Huntress by Kate Quinn
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    River Sing Me Home by Eleanor Shearer
    Recursion by Blake Crouch

jk703 and Karen like this.
  17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Bart is reading “How to get the most kisses.”
    [​IMG]

Karen and cfile like this.
  18. littlekiwi

19. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I purchase Anthony Trollope's complete works for $6 and have it on my phone. I'm plugging away and liking him more and more. (He's from the victorian era and his books are Jane Austenish.) Having them on my phone means lots of scrolling, lol. :)

Karen likes this.
  20. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

Bart just finished reading The Frog Prince.

[​IMG]

Karen and bellbird like this.