January 7 - Heirloom

Discussion in 'MOC 11 Challenges' started by cfile, Jan 7, 2023.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

JANUARY 7: Family/Heritage

Welcome to day 7 of the January Month of Challenges here at the Lilypad! I am so excited for this year's MOC theme of coming "Home".

I digital scrapbook for many reasons:
    1. I like to tell stories about the photos I have taken. [I really love the photo trip books I have made over the years. I look at them often, reminiscing about the fun we had and what we saw. It is always so much fun revisiting those trips.]
    2. I digitally scrapbook because I love the creativity it allows me, to accent the photos and enhance the stories I tell.
    3. I love to digitally create pages with old family photos. [I enjoy looking at photos of relatives that are no longer with us. When I make pages with the family photos it makes me feel like I am visiting with them. Sometimes it can be a little sad, but other times it brings pure joy.]
    When I was brainstorming for today's MOC challenge, I thought it would be a great time to do a family heritage/heirloom page. I love to create heritage pages. That can mean almost anything - creating pages using old family photos, to pages about family heirlooms we may treasure. Today we will focus on Family Heirlooms.

What is a "Family Heirloom?" Webster's dictionary defines an "heirloom" as a valuable object that has belonged to a family for several generations. Valuable doesn't necessarily mean of monetary value. [Examples of heirlooms can be the Family Bible, antiques, trinkets, paintings, weapons or jewelry.]

As I look around my home, I do have items that were given to me over the years that are family heirlooms. I know at this point, the story of the item stops with me, so I want to scrap about it so the story will be handed down with it.

Many families do have heirlooms that they hand down generationally from one family member to another, but what if you don't have any? I say create your own! Be the beginning of that heirloom!! What is that item that has special meaning to you? It should have its own story that well after you are gone, the back story of the item will be shared with a future generation.

For me, what also makes an item an heirloom and not just an antique, is the story that goes with it.
    • Who did it belong to?
    • What is the story behind it?
    • Where did it come from?
    • How did you get the item?
    • Why do you love it so much?
    These are some of the questions you can ask yourself in order to journal quickly about the item.

==================================================

For today's challenge we are going to scrap a Family Heirloom.

The challenge instructions are fairly simple:
    1. Look around your home & find that special heirloom that you wish to scrap a page about. If you don't already have a photo(s) of the item, take one to include on your page.** [ Remember if you do not have any family heirlooms, what would you like to be handed down and create your "new" heirloom!]
    2. Include a story about the heirloom. It could be long or short, just so that anyone looking at your page will know the back story of your heirloom.(Please translate in the credits if you are journaling in another language.)
    3. Include a title on your page with the word "Heirloom". [Example: Family Heirloom, Treasured Heirloom, Heirloom, anything goes as long as the word Heirloom is in it.]
    **Note: If you are scrapping more than 1 heirloom on your page, a brief story & photo for each heirloom would need to be included.

====================================================

Here is my page:

[​IMG]

[This piggy bank belonged to my maternal grandmother. I took several photos of it to showcase on my page to go with the journaling. - All credits used are listed in Gallery]

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). Product from other stores will not be allowed for MOC; your pages must contain 100% Lilypad product (current or retired product from designers or guest designers presently selling at The Lilypad).

I hope you enjoy my challenge! I cannot wait to see your family heirloom page and learning about your family treasure!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    AlyciaIN, Lisa B, MrsPeel and 11 others like this.
  2. cfile

Reserved for questions:
    • Does furniture count? Yes
    • Can the title word for Heirloom be in another language? Yes, just let me know what it is.
    • Please translate in the credits if the journaling of your heirloom is in another language as well. Thank you!

crazsquaw likes this.
  3. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Beautiful page Christa! This one is going to take some thinking...

cfile likes this.
  4. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

5. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

@cfile Christa, I assume furniture counts?

cfile likes this.
  6. cfile

Yes :)

7. cfile

Thank you Lynette - don't over think :) Enjoy the process :)

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

9. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

@cfile Is it ok to use the Swedish word for heirloom?

G.J. and cfile like this.
  10. cfile

Yes that is fine Eva. (just let me know what it is so I can learn :) )

G.J. and tanteva like this.
  11. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

SLÄKTKLENOD
    I just wish I could hear you try and pronounce it. :giggle

G.J., ashleywb, easyeyes4you and 3 others like this.
  12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@cfile Is a piece of jewellery classed as an heirloom? Sadly a chair that was my great-grandfathers and passed along down generations was ruined in the flood and therefore thrown out.

cfile likes this.
  13. cfile

Hi Anne-Marie, yes a piece of jewelry is definitely an heirloom. There are alot of things to be considered heirlooms. Even recipes :) You can even create your own "heirloom" by something special you have that has a story to hand on to someone else. I am so sorry you lost your Great Grandfather's chair in the flood. If you have a photo that you were able to save of the chair that would work too. Big hugs :)

crazsquaw and A-M like this.
  14. cfile

LOL You know I would go into the google audio translater so as not to really botch it up LOL Welsh is another language that removes vowels LOL

G.J. and tanteva like this.
  15. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Ohhhh! I would normally not like this kind of challenge. I came from a very abusive home so over the years have gotten rid of things from there. BUT, my FIL was a home craftsman when he retired and he made totally useless but incredibly intrique huge wooden 'whatnots' he called them. When he passed away we chose one for hubby and I and one for each of our boys. They all hang in our home (they're big!). But I've never thought to take a photo of them or scrap them. It's perfect! But home is several thousand miles away and my son left on a 10 day camp...this morning! When he returns, I'll to take photos of them. So, around the 21st or soon after, you'll see my page. Thanks for a great challenge! I'm excited to scrap his 'what nots' and tell their story! :) (Actually, we also have two amazing coffee tables that he hand crafted. I might need a double page!) :D

bestcee, Angela Toucan and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

:) I am glad you are excited by the challenge. I am glad you have those treasures from your father in law :) I love looking at things and remembering the person it came from and that will be so fitting for a tribute to your father in law as well, being such a gifted craftsman! Looking forward to seeing your page!

17. Dannisa

Dannisa Active Member

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Do you want the heirloom to be tangible? I do not have any heirlooms nor the philosophy required to find an object in my house to call an heirloom unless I’m just being silly, and my kids are even less sentimental than I am.

However, if you will allow an idea to be an heirloom then I can scrap about my parenting/life philosophy which does come partially from my mom and I can see developing in my kids as well.

After all, this MOC is about putting our hearts in our pages.

berniek and crazsquaw like this.
  19. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

20. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fun challenge
    [​IMG]

threadjungle, wvsandy and cfile like this.