January 26: Remembrance or Tribute Layout

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 21, 2022.

1. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Still struggling with this one... My problem is, I have already scrapped words about the important memories...and many of the not so important ones also... Was going to do one about a car I loved... and went searching for brochures and photos.... 6 photo albums later, I discovered, I had already done one for it, back in the paper scrapping days... Decided I could do the much more involved story o fits predecessor but that would require a few more hours of digging. came back here to read more hoping for a thought process it be ignited so that you @elwaechter... you words triggered something in me , and I think I will run with it...I do think I am a bit short of photos, but I'll figure something out.... as we all know... once you have an idea, the words will flow! The idea is the problem....Will be SO glad when I get this one out of the way.... so many wonderful tributes....

2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I had a difficult time deciding on a topic, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a tribute to Betty White! (325 words)

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  3. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge! This one took me a while to figure out what to do. I decided to create a page remembering our first house. Journaling word count is 325.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  4. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

[​IMG]
    306 words
    Growing up I did not have a relationship with any of my grandparents. They had either already passed away or were far away in another country. I did meet my grandmother once when she visited the states, but she passed away shortly thereafter. It’s sad to say I really don’t remember her at all. Fast forward to the age of eighteen when I met this very special lady, Velma Nation Staples. She was Michael’s paternal grandmother. Our first meeting occurred when she traveled from Baton Rouge, Louisiana for Michael’s high school graduation. The first thing she said to me was “Girl you ain’t big enough to spit on”. I really wasn’t sure what that meant. Even with that odd remark. it wasn’t long after that I started to call her grandmom too. There was no sugar coating for this lady. If she didn’t like you, you knew it. She was strong and independent. She was always well put together. I loved how she was always dressed up even if she was just going to the grocery store. She never left the house without wearing lipstick. She loved her bourbon. It had to be Makers Mark, and she would drink a glass every day. It was always fun to go eat at Mexican restaurants with her because she loved a good Margarita too. She had stories, so many stories. She was an orphan and would tell us about the time she visited the Capital and Louisiana Governor Huey P Long gave her a quarter when she was a little girl to buy books. She would say the funniest things. She used to always say she had one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel. I always thought she would be around forever. She was a great lady, larger than life and I miss her

ArmyGrl likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

500 words - text is in credits
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks for the challenge! 760 words
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

466 Words
    [​IMG]

cfile and bonnenuit like this.
  8. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Rae, thanks for the chance to pay tribute to someone... a worthwhile exercise!
    I had 334 words according to MSW :byay
    A-Tribute-page-web.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    cfile likes this.
  9. Bec

Bec Well-Known Member

403 words
    [​IMG]

bonnenuit and cfile like this.
  10. BLKinOR

BLKinOR Well-Known Member

361 words

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  11. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

Translation in the gallery. 434 words in Swedish and 472 words in English.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  12. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

13. pearkat

pearkat Well-Known Member

It was fun to think of something that helps me think of others in my life. My journaling has 305 words.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  14. Enid

Enid Well-Known Member

301 words
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. Mum23ms

Mum23ms Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    369 Words!

ArmyGrl likes this.
  16. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

17. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

Thanks for a wonderful challenge!
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

WORD COUNT: 454 words

[​IMG]

JOURNALING:
    Diamond came into mom’s life when he was a year old. At the time, she was going through a divorce and wanted a companion. I went with her to the City Animal Shelter to see what was available. We looked at all the dogs, and she kept going back to the kennel he was in. She was hesitant to take him out into the yard because he was such a big dog, but I told her that she keeps returning to him, so there isn’t any harm in walking outside with him. He had been turned into the shelter because he was “too much dog” for his owner. It was instant love for them both. Diamond was already his name, but mom rarely called him that. He was her “Boogie.”

Large dogs generally live shorter lifespans than small dogs, but Diamond was almost 18 when he died. The vet said he only lived that long because of the care mom gave him. He regularly went to the groomer until he could no longer get in and out of the car. As he aged, he developed anxiety, which caused him to pace, and severe arthritis in his hips. He would lose control of his bodily functions, but she never complained or scolded. He was her child, and she always put his needs, both physical and emotional, above her own. She would pay for vet visits before she would pay for her own medical care.

I have many stories about him that I could tell, including how I would sneak him KFC when mom wasn’t looking, or how Harrison would run up and down the house with him until Diamond could no longer run.

On the day Diamond died, he collapsed and went into a coma. Paul had to come over to get him into the car. Coincidentally, Darby was very ill, and I had to take her to the vet. It was Bennett’s birthday. As I was carrying Darby in, mom was coming out. She said Diamond never woke up, and she allowed the vet to put him to sleep. After it was over, I sat with them, stroking Diamond’s warm, soft head, and told him what a good boy he had always been. I asked mom to put her hand on him, so I could take this photo. I thought one day she would appreciate it.

Since he died, I’ve asked her twice if she wants to see the photo, and both times she told me she’s not ready. Mom had him cremated, and his ashes are in a beautiful repository. He still stays where he always did – by her bed. Thank you, Boogie, for the nearly 17 years of joy and love. We miss you.

cfile likes this.
  19. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

384 words
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  20. nof007750

nof007750 Active Member

Here is my memorial/tribute to my Grandma who passed on Christmas morning.
    [​IMG]

Journaling (317 Words)
    The last time I saw you, I had a sinking feeling that it was going to be the last time. You have just come back from the hospital and hospice was set to come start home care. We feed you the dinner you most wanted--fried chicken, a biscuit, and mashed potatoes. Every few minutes you would have a few minutes of clarity and say "Jess, it's so nice you are here. I haven't seen you in so long." Your face lit up with pure joy as I showed you pictures of the boys and told you what they were doing. After you finished eating, you sent us on our way--you grasped to your independence.

On the drive home, I thought of so many memories I would carry of you. I remember vividly the Christmas that Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage. When we got the house, there were tiny dolls attached to our presents and you said that was all you could find. I was SHOCKED when I opened the package and found not just one but two matching Cabbage Patch of my own. I remember coming down stairs in the morning when we would stay the night and sitting up at the stools with you to eat grapefruit--a special drink at your house. I remember you coming to my senior play and surprising me with your visit. During college, a trip to your house meant not only free laundry but home cooke meal made with love. I remember how excited you were for me to become a bride and how you would invite Luke and I over when we were newly married to eat Friday chicken. When Blake came, he held a special spot in your heart and Jaxon always made you laugh.

Now that you are gone, I will hold these dear memories in my heart until we meet again. Love, Jess (January, 2022)

cfile likes this.