January 20: Storytelling

Discussion in 'MOC 2019 Challenges' started by jesskab, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

For MOC 7 Day 20: Storytelling
    I have a total of 416 words and my object is Edinburgh Castle.

[​IMG]

Journaling reads:
    We visited Edinburgh, Scotland on a late October weekend in 2017. I’d wanted to go to Scotland for so long. What a beautiful country, so green and so peaceful. We stayed in a hotel across the street from Edinburgh Castle. The history of castles such as this in Scotland is simply mind blowing. Edinburgh Castle is situated on lava rock from a volcano that erupted 340 MILLION years ago. It was built during the 12th century and was not the first castle in this location. It was a military base and a royal residence for centuries. From 1296 to 1341, Edinburgh Castle bounced back and forth from England to Scotland changing hands several times during the wars for Scottish Independence. In 1571, English forces seized the castle again in attempt to capture Mary, Queen of Scots. It lasted for two years and all of Mary’s supporters surrendered to the English. Later, in 166-1746, during the Jacobite Risings, the Scots attempted several times to recapture their castle but unfortunately were never able to overpower the English army. The final attempt was led in 1745 by bonnie Prince Charlie or Charles Stewart. In the late 18th century to the early 19th century, the castle was used to house military prisoners from England’s many wars. It became a national monument in 1814 after a mass prison break proved it could not hold its prisoners. During the 19th and 20th centuries, Edinburgh Castle was slowly restored and in 1927 turned into the Scottish National War Memorial. It is now one of the most popular tourist attractions in Scotland visited by over 1 million people per year. They hold military ceremonies, re-enactments and have sites to visit such as St. Margaret’s Chapel and the Great Hall of King James IV. To visit this castle as a tourist of Scotland is a beautiful treat. The views alone from the top of the climb show the land around it in every direction. Walking through such an old, historical site is almost unreal. It’s hard to imagine the wars and battles fought there and the royals who called it home. We had the most beautiful view out of our hotel window to look at this castle. It can be seen from all over the area because it is up so high on the volcanic rock. Edinburgh is a beautiful city with a rich history that wasn’t always pretty but what was left behind is what makes the city such a beautiful place to visit.

Historical information from this website.

2. tlcd1961

tlcd1961 Well-Known Member

(223 words)
    The last conversation I had with my mother before she died was about this book. Her church was putting out a cookbook and she called to tell me about it. I was in Phoenix. She told me she had entered several of our recipes. She was so excited about it. After that phone conversation. I did not think about it again.

About a month after my mother died, I received a package in the mail. It was from LaVerne Baker at the library. I could not imagine what she was sending me. Brady was with me when I opened it. He immediately yelled, “GENEALOGY!” I said, “No, it’s a cookbook.” It took me a few minutes to gather my thoughts and realize what it was. The lady that took my job - Jill Hendrickson - attended my mother’s church. When she looked through the cookbook, she saw my mother’s name. She and LaVerne purchased a copy and mailed it to me - not realizing that I knew anything about it. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of this story. I called her and tried to tell her how much it meant to me. I am not sure I expressed how deep my feelings were about this book. I will always treasure it. AND - it has some wonderful recipes!

bonnenuit likes this.
  3. pearkat

pearkat Active Member

4. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

Took me a while to find something that I could write so many words about. Then this was sitting right in front of me! Thanks for the challenge! (177 words)
    [​IMG]

5. frutselke

frutselke Active Member

The primary school of my children needs a new building. The other week I cycled past and took a few pictures of the machines grinding the debris from the demolished old building. The journaling (189 words, translation in the gallery) is about how long it has taken before the actual work started.
    [​IMG]

6. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Well-Known Member

These wordy challenges are the most challenging for me. My journaling is duplicated. However, one side has 296 words.

[​IMG]

7. AnnePC

AnnePC Well-Known Member

8. Mum23ms

Mum23ms Active Member

9. sberkan

sberkan Well-Known Member

This map needed to be scrapped so this was the perfect challenge! Thanks so much! My word count is 224.
    [​IMG]

bonnenuit likes this.
  10. Coady

Coady Well-Known Member

MOC Day 20
    Inanimate Object: Disney (Cinderella's) Castle

[​IMG]

11. Sharon-Dewi

Sharon-Dewi Well-Known Member

I always like to add some journaling on my pages to keep the memory behind the pictures. Thank you so much for this fantastic challenge! I enjoyed writing about an inanimate object this time.

Here is my layout (inanimate object: pull-over my mother knitted for my nephew):
    [​IMG]

bonnenuit likes this.
  12. Chey

Chey Well-Known Member

13. Bebimora

Bebimora Active Member

14. melmiles

melmiles Active Member