January 14: Mosaic Photo Effect

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 14, 2022.

1. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

I am obsessed with this - thanks so much!! I have PSE19 and I just created a new file, then added a shape that was 1.5inches and copied it to fill the entire page. I clipped photos to each square and then once that was done I started following the directions from where you define pattern. I can give better instructions if anyone wants, lol.
    so much fun!!
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  2. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I used the Andrea Mosaic online helper. Not sure what I did wrong, but it took half an hour to put the mosaic together and then there were lots of black gaps, so I cut a rectangular section without black gaps and placed them several times and merged to one layer. And this was after trying to open PSE11 on my old laptop (not really playing ball), trying the Canva online app and the other link in the Artisan tutorial app. I can see someone has successfully done it in PSE 2022 but I have only just installed it a couple of weeks ago and there are quite a few settings I can't seem to get right. In the Create option I couldn't get a template for more than around 8 photos and even then I couldn't see any setting for getting rid of the white spaces between the photos. Oh well, it's done and it may be something I try and play around with another time when I'm more familiar with both Windows 11 and PSE22.

ETA it's a great challenge just beyond my technical expertise at the moment!

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Thank you for this, although I have already done a page, this seems MUCH easier (and i only have to find a few photos)!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

This was truly a Challenge (but I love a good challenge)! I love the way it turned out when I can zoom on the individual photos, but it isn't as cool in print size. Next time I think I will use fewer photos and make the grid bigger.
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic and CaroRen like this.
  5. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

@keepscrappin Ha! I should have waited - thanks for the how to and I'm bookmarking for another time,

IntenseMagic and keepscrappin like this.
  6. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

thank you for your tutorial !!

[​IMG]

Karen, slfam, lorieh and 1 other person like this.
  7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Well I knew I was in trouble when I saw your photo come up Jan @IntenseMagic! Clearly I did not understand this complicated technique but I gave it the old "school girl" try. Here's the result -- I'm calling it done! The journaling is for you. If you need a better example to fulfill the requirements of this challenge you need to send Randy up!!!

[​IMG]

And this should be good for your laugh of the day.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  8. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a DISASTER for me. I could never get the "shaker box" to look like anything and had one layout that I was about to upload even though I didn't really like it when I did SOMETHING and made it disappear. I had to start all over. After more goof-ups on my part, I FINALLY got something done I could post. Still wasn't crazy about the "shaker box" and won't be trying that again anytime soon:td
    I thought today's challenge was going to be on the same lines. I don't have "Photoshop" so the directions quickly had my head spinning.:stars The link to PSE started half-way through the tutorial. :tantrum I finally just tried to do it on my own and it was SO EASY I made four possibilities for this challenge in less than half an hour. LOVE THE TECHNIQUE!:yippee
    Here is my layout:
    [​IMG]

9. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge !

[​IMG]

10. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

Just chiming in with what I've found that works - I use PSE 2020. So, I used the link that @Angela Toucan offered in January 14: Mosaic Photo Effect

For the record - I like this particular source as it is browser based - you neither download a program or upload your photos. ALSO - your mosaic is constrained by how large your browser screen is - so I backed mine off to 33% before downloading the contact sheet it provided. It also made my contact sheet more landscape oriented, which was useful for my photo.

At that point, I could open the download in PSE and then follow the original instructions to make the pattern, etc.

I'm still playing - I think the photo I have chosen is a problem for the technique - and need to go somewhere, but I hope this helps someone.

IntenseMagic and Angela Toucan like this.
  11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

12. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Having a bit of a problem pulling my eyes from the back of my head where they rolled!!! That said... I did this not too long ago someplace??? maybe 2-3 year ago... The most laborious part was uploading all those photo's . I am sure I saved that montage, and recently saw it on my working folder... so going to go look for it... I would have guessed it was done on this site??? since this site has the best challenges... Off to play!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. lmuscarella22

lmuscarella22 Well-Known Member

Not sure if the quality ended up the best here, but it does look pretty cool at 100%

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Ruthe14

Ruthe14 Branch Manager of my family

I got to spend Christmas with my son and daughter and their families....and I have used our Tree and all the photos we took as we celebrated. Very interesting challenge.
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The largest photo is the one on which I did the mosaic tile effect. I used a total of 8 photos, 3 of which are also on the page.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Phew! 100 photos :eek: Thanks for the challenge!
    [​IMG]

slfam, lorieh and IntenseMagic like this.
  17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

[​IMG]

Note: I did apply 2 effects on my mosaic overlay - oil painting and distortions. If that's not okay, I will redo it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

[​IMG]

Just a note: I use Picasa to organize my photos, well until it stops working, LOL! There is an option in that program to make a collage. I selected 93 bunny photos and made a collage with no spaces between the photos. Worked perfectly! Then I edited the collage to make it light and airy and warm. I picked up your tutorial to save the pattern and overlayed over a favorite bunny photo! This was actually kind of fun once I figured out how to do the collage. I scrap in PSE9 and it's a little clunky for that kind of thing :).

19. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

20. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

another great challenging challenge. :)

[​IMG]

lorieh and IntenseMagic like this.