Curious - When? How Long?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2022' started by Scrapping with Liz, Jan 23, 2022.

1. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

You'd think that being retired that I'd have lots of time to scrap. Nope. I'm so far behind that I will not be able to catch up. Too many things to do. My BFF and her husband came to visit and then the 4 of us when to St. Augustine for a few days. This week is lab work, doctor's appointments, hair cuts, and shopping for winter clothes for a trip up north next week for our daughter's baby shower. By this time next month our granddaughter might already be here, which means another trip to Pittsburgh.

jk703, Karen and gonewiththewind like this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My mom is WAY busier in retirement than she was when working in our school system. You have lots to do, especially with that granddaughter on the way. I wouldn't be able to scrap either - I'd be shopping! LOL

Karen and djp332 like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

3-4 hours a page? I've never been known to be a fast scrapper.

Karen and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  4. Marif

Marif Well-Known Member

Exactly that for me! Like, exactly! Choosing the photos or kits can be excruciating slow for me. I think my average is also 2 hours per layout. I also scrap in The Gimp, where every layer has to be scaled one by one and there are no shadow actions, and probably I failed to google and learn techniques that could save me time...
    The upside is that I'm a SAH mom, so I can scrap sort of whenever. For MOC, I've been doing some first thing in the morning after my Dude leaves for school, and some in the evenings while watching TV with hubby. It's been helpful for me to force myself to second guess less because I just won't have time to finish if I do. With all that, I'm only 2 behind (and it should be only one by the time I go to bed tonight)...

sm_amber likes this.
  5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

For me going from no babies to one baby was the hardest! My youngest is 7 and so all of my kids are pretty independent...they can dress themselves, do chores, help siblings, some can cook meals...I have a couple that can drive which is super nice. So, even though I have 7 kids I honestly think it's easier than when I had little babies. Although I do miss those baby snuggles.

Yay for Templates! LOL!

You have some good excuses for not being caught up!

I was only able to get through day 19 this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to finish all of the layouts on time, but I'm going to do my best and still try to finish all of the challenges either way.

I have honestly thought about just not doing school with my kids next Monday so that I can spend the whole day scrapping. Haha!

djp332 and mnjenlittle like this.
  6. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I love St Augustine, but it’s been quite a few years since I’ve been back to explore

grandbabies are the best. Hope all goes well.

djp332 likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

It takes me just over an hour to complete a layout most of the time. Some take me longer, like 2 - 4 hours. I tend to get bogged down when I mix kits and can't decide what to use. Or when I go searching for the perfect template or kit. I've been known to bring in papers and elements and turn on and off layers, testing what I like. :giggle I have gotten better at going with my gut, but before that it always took me 2 hours or more per layout.

I jump for joy when I can do a layout (picking photos, kits, templates and getting into the gallery) in under an hour. :woot:winner:yahoo I have completed a couple of layouts in under 30 minutes, but that doesn't happen often.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

MOC pages tend to take me longer, because I'm typically putting more thought into what direction I want to take the page design and it tends to involve more searching for just the right products, all of which are more time-consuming. Sometimes I also need to search for inspiration. I will also say, about half the time I don't finish my page in one sitting. I might even have a few pages going at the same time (not MOC-specific).

If I know what products I'm going to use and I've decided on my page composition and photos, I can design a page in about 30 minutes. My pages also tend to have LOTS of layers and other technical components to them, so by virtue of that, there is just more work.

For example, this page took me a long time. Each row could be it's own layout if I dropped it onto its own canvas and I did a lot of custom shadowing where the stitches went over the other elements. I worked on it on and off all day. There are quite a few credits, so a lot of that time was searching for what I wanted to use and how I wanted to place it.

[​IMG]

I enjoy the page design process so my goal has never to design my pages as quickly as possible - obviously I can't spend all day on every page, but I'm usually multi-tasking while I'm scrapping. In some cases templates shorten my time and in others they make it longer.

Anyway, interesting topic!

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  9. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Depends on the page.. some pages I start one day and finish another..others take me an hour or so.. some quicker .. all depends. I tend to sketch things out in my brain and go from there ... sometimes I start things and totally ditch the whole project cause I hate what I created . I'm my worst judge...

Marilyn and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  10. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

It varies for me - either during the day if I'm home for that day and caught up on other work/errand stuff or evenings when kids are at practice with dad taking them or having some gaming time of their own or sometimes I just can't sleep and will at the wee hours of the night/morning.
    I do try and read the challenges first thing in the morning like Michelle mentioned I think - gives me time to think about what I want to do to tackle it. So that helps I think a lot for me, I'm thinking of it as I'm driving kids to and from all the places and such.
    I think each layout varies for time, but probably average about 40 minutes - sometimes it is quicker like 20 minutes, sometimes more than an hour or even two but I think that's my average. Once I know what I want to do for a challenge, it's usually pretty quick to find photos though even if they are from years ago just the way I have photos organized I guess. Kits are all in one folder for TLP and I have them each in their own folder, with the icon of the folder being the kit preview so it's pretty quick to scan and find the kit or kits I want. I also just drag a short cut/web link into the folders for the store page (I do this when I download kits usually so it's just part of the process when I save) so for MOC it's easy to check to be sure it isn't a retired kit before I start - just click that little web button and if it doesn't pop up to the store page I know it's retired and move on to another kit.

11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Me either, I’d love to become speedier but it hasn’t happened yet.

12. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I probably fall in Cheryl’s @gonewiththewind timeline of quick scrapping, but that amazes me since her pages are much more elaborate than anything I do!

13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Same here. Some I just decide that I won't dwell on it, and they are quick. The Black/white challenge was the fastest for me- under minutes because I knew immediately what photo to use. Others, like the photoless page, took a long time because I used way too many layers and the credits, ohhhhh the credits, Ha ha. Average time is an hour, including photo searching.

14. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

What!? what!? Gurllllll, that’s amazing

15. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

That photoless layout with the mermaid took me hours. But I was actually enjoying the process of finding stuff and creating the perfect scene for the mermaid and her captain. And the captain needed arms because how was he going to cuddle with his mermaid bride?

I scrap a layout once a day usually after work. If I finish one in an hour I am doing good. Every once in awhile I finish one in 15 minutes but that’s a rarity.

16. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I scrap on my day off work, Thursday and then on weekends. Depending on the challenge a LO can take me anything from 20 mins to hour. Some layouts may take me a few days especially if I am not 100% happy with what I have created, I will leave it and come back to it another time.

17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh my gosh! This is brilliant. I usually process my purchases immediately, so I still have the store open in my web browser, so this would only take a second to add. And only takes up a few Kb of hard drive space per link, right?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  18. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I do not take part in the MOC, as I just don't have the time to commit to it. I feel proud of myself when I actually complete the monthly challenges. :giggle So, I take the month of January to create layouts using my stash from designers in which I'm not on a team for. And I admit to being a very slow scrapper, as I'm a very detailed scrapper and I take my time to enjoy the creative process.

19. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

I was lucky that this month is not a busy one at work, so I used the spare time to make my pages. So I was not behind with them, didn't need to catch up. Sometimes it takes me hours to make a page, sometimes I finish them really fast, but I think on average it takes me about 3 hours to finish a page, including finding the right photo, the right elements, making the credits list...

20. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Ooooh I was just thinking about this last weekend.....I think I'm a very slow scrapper because I'm such a perfectionist and I have OCD :eyeroll I think on average I take 1 hour to 1,5 hours? I managed to kind of keep up this time but had a few days where I either had a migraine or felt one coming on so I lagged behind a few days two or three times. But I made it! Though I'm not satisfied with my last LO. Might do a retake on that one. But probably not today. I had a blast again :cheer