January 26: Remembrance or Tribute Layout

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 21, 2022.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Welcome to Day 26 of MOC 2022! I have a journal challenge for you and I can't wait to see your pages!

For this challenge, you will need to journal about a person, place or thing for a REMEMBRANCE or TRIBUTE layout.

You are required to journal, 300 or more words are required to tell your story. Do not use bullet points.

Photos are optional, what I really want to see is the story.
    A remembrance page might be about a family member, friend, someone in your past, someone who influenced you in some way. It might be a local landmark that you remember. Maybe it was a cherished trip you took. You might choose to create your page about your pet, as I did.

A tribute page might be about paying tribute to someone (not yourself), a teacher, a child's accomplishment or maybe there is someone you know who has performed acts of kindness or has made some kind of personal sacrifice in their life. You might be proud of an accomplishment or achievement of someone.

***Do not create your page about yourself***

I look forward to reading your story.

CHALLENGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Create a remembrance or tribute page with or without photos, but not about yourself.
    • You must journal at least 300 or more words to tell your story.
    • You must include your word count for your journaling
    Here is my page about our sweet cat, Noel.

noelremembered-L_Rae.jpg

Here is a page from Iowan

2002-Ode-to-the-Green-Table_Carole.jpg

The rules for this challenge:
    • Create a remembrance layout, not about yourself but a person, place or thing.
    • Journal, telling a story of 300 or more words. Include your word count for your journaling.
    • Photos are optional.
    Journal Rules for this challenge:
    • Your journaling should be in complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word over and over. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me AND Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    • Your journaling should be legible and readable. If your page is not in English, we ask that you translate your journaling to English and post the translation in your gallery credits. If your journaling has been distressed or your font is too small to read, you should post your journaling in your gallery credits. Again, if your journaling is sensitive and/or personal, please message me or Julie directly to discuss.
    TLP Rules:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

I'm looking forward to seeing your pages! Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
    crazsquaw, Karen and Iowan like this.
  2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Saving this post for Q&A and clarifications

If you need to private message Rae about your page, please include me (mrs2a50) in your message, as Rae will be sporadic with her availability to respond. Thank you!!

1. Is there a website or place on Photoshop that will count your words for you? Or type it in microsoft word and copy it over? Any tips for word count help? - Word or https://wordcounter.net/ will provide a word count for you.

2. does this have to be someone/something personal to us or can we create a tribute to someone else that we feel is inspirational in some way. - Since this can be a remembrance OR tribute, inspirational journaling is acceptable

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

oh this gonna be so so hard. Memory's of people make me sad, rember things out in real world terrifying.

turtlebug likes this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Linked to the gallery for credits.
    346 words

Karen, crazsquaw and bestcee like this.
  5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Thanks for the definitions of Tribute and Remembrance pages.

[​IMG]

758 words

ODE TO THE GREEN TABLE

My parents reached adulthood during the Great Depression and, like many others, struggled to achieve prosperity even after the depression. Both parents were from farm backgrounds in rural Iowa. In 1954 we moved from the farm where my father was born and raised in southern Iowa to the farm where my mother was born and raised in eastern Iowa. The largest room in the house was the dining room which was probably typical for most farm families. I was six years old when we moved there. Not too long after we moved to the new house, which had actually been built in the 1800s, my mother decided that we needed a new dining room table. At that time, Formica had become very popular and my parents purchased a table with a green, Formica top. The color was close to emerald green and there were white, silver, and black flecks in the table top. The table legs were chrome as was the wrap around edge of the table giving rise to thoughts of a diner. I am sure that Mom would have preferred a beautiful wooden table but that was, no doubt, not in the budget. The chairs also had chrome legs with green plastic cushions. The table was very functional. It was relatively light weight so it was easy to move if needed. At Christmas it always faced east and west and had all of the extensions in place. Mom would bring out a pretty table cloth to cover the Formica and make the table more festive. During more normal times the table usually faced north and south. Nicole maintains that the table was north and south so that Dad could catch the farm reports while eating dinner at noon, whereas I remember me being at the head of the table for several years while I was growing up which allowed me to watch TV in the evening while eating. Laurie’s primary memory was a longing to graduate from the kid’s table to the Green Table at holidays.

The Green Table was, in reality, the center piece of our home. Breakfast, dinner and supper were eaten at the Green Table. Note: this was farm country. If we had lunch, it was a fourth meal at mid-afternoon on days that heavy farm work, such as hay bailing, was taking place and lunch was eaten in the field so as not to disrupt work for too long. After we got a television there was a period of time where TV trays became popular and we children would forgo the Green table in the evening to watch TV while eating. However, we always eventually returned to the Green table. School homework was usually done at the Green Table along with various school projects. Games were played at the Green table. I played many a game of Cribbage with my father at the Green Table as well as numerous other games that the family would play. Basketball and baseball games that were won or lost were discussed at the table. Events of the day would be discussed at the table.

I was the youngest in my family and eventually my sisters and I moved out of the house to pursue our lives, but when we would return for a visit or a holiday, the Green Table would still be there. When I would return home during summers while in college, the Green table would be waiting. The summer before my senior year in college I got a night shift job at a packing plant and when I came home at one AM, my parents would get out of bed and we would talk around the table for a few minutes before returning to our bedrooms and sleep.

Our daughters also got to experience the Green Table as they grew up when we visited for holidays or just a visit. They got to help Grandma In the kitchen but, as always, the Green table was there. As my parents aged, the table was pushed against the south wall of the dining room because there were only two people eating at the table then. Eventually the table outlasted both Mom and Dad, and it probably ended up in a land fill somewhere after we sold off the belongings and, eventually, the house itself. However, the Green table still lives in my mind and the minds of our family with memories of the wonderful meals prepared by my Mother and the good times we all shared around the Green Table.

6. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Remembrance/Tribute of our lovely trips to Carpinteria every summer. 317 words.
    [​IMG]

crazsquaw and bestcee like this.
  7. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge
    427 words

[​IMG]

8. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge!
    FR= 320 words
    UK= 329 words

[​IMG]

crazsquaw, bestcee and *sylvia* like this.
  9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

Is there a website or place on Photoshop that will count your words for you? Or type it in microsoft word and copy it over? Any tips for word count help?

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sometimes the hardest things turn out to be the most special but also, from what Rae's post says, it doesn't have to be a person. She says under Rememberance that " It might be a local landmark that you remember. Maybe it was a cherished trip you took.", and Carol's page Ode to a Green Table above might help inspire you -it's post #5 https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-26-remembrance-or-tribute-layout.81812/#post-1418377

Iowan, bestcee and Karen like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i believe we've used https://wordcounter.net/ before - just paste your text in there

meterr, crazsquaw, cfile and 4 others like this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

13. lulyg14

lulyg14 Testosterone Overload

326 words

[​IMG]

I’m sure my family thought we were crazy when we planned our trip to France in early 2020. Alex had just started dating Mikayla, Tony & Mallory were not engaged and all 6 of us were going together. Of course, then COVID happened and we cancelled our trip. As things got better in the spring of 2021, we re-booked our trip. There was still uncertainty (even up to the last minute with Omicron) but we knew we still wanted to go… and I’m so glad we did. There are so many things that can happen that might prevent us 6 from traveling together again for several years or even many years – jobs, weddings, health, houses and future grandbabies to name a few!

Nothing is promised that is why remembering this special trip is so important to me. It was a lot of work to get to the finish line. The amount of extra planning, forms, COVID tests, calls to the airlines etc. was quadruple the normal amount it would take to coordinate a trip with 6 adults. Finding the perfect spot in Paris was Bob’s job and I coordinated with Eddie & Sharon at the Chateau. Renting a car for the first time (aka the clown car), driving in Paris and so many other firsts. It was so nice to have the girls with us for the first time on a trip was also amazingly special. We were able to experience so many incredible sights and adventures. Mont St Michel, WW II sites, UK Christmas traditions, walking on the beach at Portbail, the Louvre, the Seine River cruise, climbing to the top of the Eifel Tower. These are just a few of the incredible days and nights we had together.

We laughed so much fun together, drank lots of wine, had delicious food and pastries and shared very tiny bathrooms, train rides and memories. This is what I will remember most of all from our amazing trip together.

14. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

348 words about our first trip in Russia as a couple
    [​IMG]

15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Rae for hosting...Memories of my favorite teacher... 749 + Words
    [​IMG]

Karen, lulyg14, crazsquaw and 2 others like this.
  16. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

MS Word has a word count, it's under the review tab.

crazsquaw, bestcee and Aussiegirl like this.
  17. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the wonderful Challenge!
    360 Words
    [​IMG]

crazsquaw and bestcee like this.
  18. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I am the same, my mum died just before Christmas and even everyday things make me cry.

New question please - does this have to be someone/something personal to us or can we create a tribute to someone else that we feel is inspirational in some way. For example, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-60108443 a trio of British women have broken a world record for rowing the Atlantic, one of the three has incurable cancer (and I believe she celebrated her 42nd birthday during the time rowing).

19. mrs2a50

You're right Cath - memories CAN be hard. But you can always do a page about a person or place or event that was fun and makes you happy!

weaselwatchr, cfile and JenEm like this.
  20. mrs2a50

I would accept that Suzanne!

weaselwatchr and bestcee like this.