MOC Q&A

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2022' started by mrs2a50, Dec 24, 2021.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Have questions about this year's MOC event? Post them here!

Has your question already been asked and answered? Check out this handy list for quick reference. :)

Can MOC challenges be finished any day after they are posted, so long as they are completed by Feb 2nd? I had it in my head that the challenge had to complete the day it was posted. The goal is 31 pages in 31 days - NOT 31 pages, one on each day. I don't have to do January 1's challenge ON January 1, so long as I follow the posting guidelines, etc.?

You are exactly right! They do not have to be completed on the day they are posted, they just have to all be completed by February 2, 2022, at 11:59 pm Eastern.

The products that are part of the Designer Surprise Sale category aren't retiring during MOC are they?

No, we will not have any retiring products before MOC! Our next Retiring Products Sale is in March.

Will there be a lot of journaling challenges? And with a long texts required? To be honest I don't understand the condition about translating that text to English.

You can just copy and paste your journaling into a translator like Google Translate, then post the result in your gallery credits. Since the content of your journaling is an important part of those challenges, the host needs to be able to understand it to ensure that the requirement has been met.

Question regarding credits - designer's full name - as in how they are listed in the store, correct?

Yes. No abbreviations of designer names. :agree

For any new MOC participants that may be reading this thread, I've included a screenshot of one my recent layouts, listing the products and designer names with links. The image is linked to the gallery if you want to view or click links in credits.

[​IMG]

What is a credit tracker?

It's a script that tracks the items that you put on your layout, so when you run the script it will list out the name of the element or paper shown in the layers panel. It will look something like this:

gmiller-oyl-heart2
    gmiller-oyl-mask
    gmiller-oyl-masktrim
    gmiller-oyl-paper4
    gmiller-oyl-ribbon3
    gmiller-oyl-scallops
    gmiller-oyl-wipes
    gmiller-oyl-wordart2

It makes checking hundreds of layouts much easier when the kit name and designer are listed and linked. So you can use a credit tracker, but you have to revise the credits so that the kit name and designer are listed, preferably linked to the store. So then the above list becomes this instead:

One Year Later by Gina Miller
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/One-Year-Later.html

OR

One Year Later by Gina Miller

Ohhh, I didn’t know about the abbreviations [in credits]. I constantly use LBW for Little Butterfly Wings. What about Mixed Media Monthly? I normally write it like this: M3 Apr 21 Main Kit, or Little Butterfly Wings M3 Apr 21 Add Ons. Is that ok?

M3 is interchangeable with Mixed Media Monthly in naming in the store, especially by Littler Butterfly Wings, so I believe you should be able to use it in credits, especially if you are providing a link to the product in the store @mrs2a50 Do you concur?

Are templates that are no longer in the store count for 15% non current for MOC as well or does that change for this event?

Templates count for 15% of your layout even during Month of Challenges. You have to use 75% current product during MOC, so using a template no longer in the store would give you plenty of wiggle room in the 25% non-current product range.

Last year someone told me of a way to not see all the layout posts when I come to forum and click on "new posts" so I do not miss other posts in the forum that are not MOC happenings. I cannot remember how to do it.

Marking Forums Read | Reduce Number of New Posts

Where do I find this year's MOC image and also the ones that show the prior year's checked off? I would like to add that to my siggy (I completed 7, 8, and 9).

You can find the image for this year at the bottom of the first post of the registration thread: Month of Challenges 10 | Registration Open!

You can find the prior years here: Finished MOC Siggies

@Karen will be making a new thread near the end of the month with the graphic for this year.

Is it okay to make hybrid layouts for some challenges (as long as they follow all other guidelines) or do they need to be 100% digital?

Yes! We love seeing hybrid layouts. As you stated, just follow all the guidelines, especially the layout sizes and the amount of current TLP product. MOC 2022 Guidelines

So, how/when do we know if we somehow felt short on a challenge? Will it be at the very end, or during the MOC (so perhaps we can correct it?) For instance, if a power-that-is looks at my page for Day 1 and disagrees that my item count is correct, will I know before Feb 2, or when it's too late? Or if nothing is said when it's posted in the challenge thread, I can assume I got the challenge gist correct?

The host of each challenge will follow up with you via 'conversation' (your inbox here in the top right corner) if there is an issue. Unless it's the last challenge or two, the 'checking' and follow up will give you plenty of time to tweak anything :) ( & even for the last day or 2, I believe there is a grace period on follow up but if you don't hear from the host via inbox, you're good)

It says we have to post our layout to 3 additional locations . . . what does that mean exactly? Outside the 3 locations here in The LilyPad (Challenge, Layout and Gallery)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "additional" locations. The guidelines state:
    Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Forum.
    3. Posted in the challenge thread.

Can my layouts be posted out of order in my layouts thread?

Yes, they can be posted in any order you like. Just make sure to list what day each one is and you’ll be good to go.

Can we use Collab Kits? If so, how do we give credit?

You can definitely use collab kits. If they are sold in the Lilypad store, they will count towards the 75% of Lilypad products. To give credit just list the name of the collab and then the names of the designers. If it’s a store collab, just list the name of the kit and then for designers, just list “By Lilypad Designers. Then just add a link to the collab (copy and paste the web link) so all your bases are covered. If it’s not a Lilypad collab though, you should not add a link for the collab.

Also, here's a link to all the current TLP Store Collabs currently available:
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Lilypad-Collabs/

Speaking of collabs, I used the It's About Time TLP collabs for my MOC layout yesterday. Mostly the "Today" set, but also a few pieces from the blog hop, "Yesterday." But when I went to the store to get links, I couldn't find Yesterday. I was surprised because I think I've seen other blog hops added to the store, like Of Wishes Hopes and Dreams. Am I remembering that incorrectly? Just curious if anyone knows off the top of her head. No research needed. I credited them both anyway; just only linked to Today.

Usually the blog hop portions of special TLP store collabs are removed after some time. The latest ones that have been released still have the blog hop portions available. You may find those portions in individual designer's stores.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2022
    umyesh likes this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I remember completing a form to register in other years. When I clicked the "And don't forget to register!" link there was no form?? Thank you!!

Cath_ likes this.
  3. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

So... I've asked this elsewhere, but I'll put the query here as well - just in case someone else over/under thinks like I do! May the Good Lord help them....!

MOC challenges can be finished any day after they are posted, so long as they are completed by Feb 2nd? I had it in my head that the challenge had to complete the day it was posted. The goal is 31 pages in 31 days - NOT 31 pages, one on each day.

I don't have to do January 1's challenge ON January 1, so long as I follow the posting guidelines, etc?

I do have a tendency to make life hard. LOL!

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

You are exactly right! They do not have to be completed on the day they are posted, they just have to all be completed by Feb 2nd :).

bestcee, bellbird and mrs2a50 like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

The products that are part of the Designer Surprise category aren't retiring during MOC are they? I'd hate to buy a whole heap then not be able to use it during MOC

Firstoscartgrouch likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

At the bottom of that post of Cheryl’s there is the moc10 picture. When you click on that it takes you to the form to register :)

AJK and bellbird like this.
  7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I don’t think they’ll retire during MOC. If I remember correctly the retirement sale is usually in March.

Karen, cfile, bellbird and 1 other person like this.
  8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

No, we will not have any retiring products before MOC!

9. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I´m thinking about trying this for the first time... But would like to ask. Will there be a lot of journaling challenges? And with a long texts required? To be honest I don´t understand the condition about translating that text to English... It means more work for non English speakers:-). Even though it is already more difficult to understand the assignment and in the time press... I´d like to have fun, not be in a stress:-)

10. umyesh

I hope you choose to participate! Every challenge is optional so if the journaling challenges feel like too much work then don’t stress and just do the challenges you’re interested in.
    In answer to your question, I don’t remember “a lot” of journaling challenges in the past, but there is usually at least one that requires long text. I’m guessing the requirement to translate is to help the challenge host make sure you meet the challenge requirements. The hosts have to review a lot of pages so having you translate your own helps cut out one step.
    Happy scrapping!

bestcee likes this.
  11. umyesh

I just looked back at last year’s challenges and here are the five that required the most writing:
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-2-why-i-scrap.75053/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-11-tell-me-a-story.75320/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-12-art-journaling-diary.75333/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-23-interview-about-the-past.75512/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/january-29-just-the-highlights.75606/
    Hope this helps!

Karen likes this.
  12. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

You can just copy and paste your journaling into a translator like Google Translate, then post the result in your gallery credits. Since the content of your journaling is an important part of those challenges, the host needs to be able to understand it to ensure that the requirement has been met. :-) While the specific themes will be different this year, hopefully the examples Monica posted above will give you a better idea of what to expect.

We definitely want you to have fun! You can just play along with the challenges that inspire you if doing all of them is too much. Also, we try our best to make sure all of the instructions are clear up front, but you are welcome to ask as many questions as you need to! :-)

Nemla, SeattleSheri, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  13. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Monica @umyesh and @KimJ, it helped me.

bestcee, Karen, umyesh and 1 other person like this.
  14. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. This was something I wondered about so happy to hear any purchases now will be "legal" during MOC. Retail therapy here I come. :)

15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Question regarding credits- designer's full name- as in how they are listed in the store, correct? Thanks!

bellbird and gonewiththewind like this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes. No abbreviations of designer names. :agree

For any new MOC participants that may be reading this thread, I've included a screenshot of one my recent layouts, listing the products and designer names with links. The image is linked to the gallery if you want to view or click links in credits.

TLPCreditsinGallery.jpg

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

not having abbreviations soooo helps in the checking for products in the store when there's hundreds of layouts submitted per challenge, (links are even better :flirty) especially with mix and match scrapping that uses a lot of different products by a lot of different designers!

Aerobigirl and bestcee like this.
  18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

HA HA HA!!! <---that would SO BE ME!!!!:rollin

HeatherB and bellbird like this.
  19. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea you checked every product on every layout. Now I even appreciate the effort that goes into MOC even more! I'll try to limit the number of kits I use in my MOC layouts.

bellbird likes this.
  20. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

Read and understand. Am really curious what a credit tracker is.

AJK likes this.