I'm washing my Hair|Pad Patter 7.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jul 14, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ok, not really. But, the talk about toothpaste and brushing made me think.

How often do you wash your hair? Like fully wash - shampoo, conditioner, whatever you use?

Here's my secret: I don't wash my hair daily. I do wash it more in the summer because eww! Sweaty hair. Chlorine hair. Did I mention sweat? I do use shampoo and conditioner when I wash my hair. And typically it's an every other day, maybe every third day thing.

My other secret? I get a lot of compliments on how healthy my hair looks...:giggle

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am probably the least care intensive hair girl ever. I only use shampoo and let it dry by itself.
    I wash my hair every other day, if I can get away with it every three days.

bestcee likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

every 3-4 days. I use soap as a shampoo.

bestcee likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I usually wash each time I hop in the shower so at the bare minimum every 2-3 days but in an ideal world it would be every 1-2 days.

bestcee likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

When I'm working, I wash/condition every morning in the shower. In the summer, my hair stays up 99% of the time so if I'm just hanging out at home babysitting or whatever, I'll wash it every other day or so.

bestcee likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I used to be a wash and condition every single day kind of girl - but as I get older, my hair is getting drier. A few months ago I switched to every other day. (Unless like you @bestcee - I went in the pool or got sweaty. Then I have to wash!) I usually don't even wet it on the days I don't wash it now. I love not having to blow dry my hair every other morning! My hot flashes and the blow dryer DO NOT mix. lol!

I was just buying a few things the other day and the lady at the check out counter had the cutest little haircut and I complimented her on it and asked her how she got the curls and volume (it was a super short cut) and she told me about some mousse she uses and said she only washes it every 3rd day - and the mousse holds her curls (the curls are done with a curling iron). So we were just discussing the not washing every day trick too! :)

bestcee likes this.
  7. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I'm with @jenn mccabe - I used to have oily hair when I was younger and I washed it every day.
    But now it's more dry (not helped by the monthly dye job!), and I usually wash it every other day.
    Sometimes on the non-washing day, I'll still wet it down in the morning and restyle it...depends how important the day's meetings are!
    Not everyone rates the re-style :)

bestcee likes this.
  8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Usually after every gym session. If I don't go to the gym it's every other day. I use shampoo and conditioner.

bestcee likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In the cold half of the year I frequently skip a day between showers. In the summer I shower and wash my hair pretty much every day because I take walks and get sweaty every morning. :) I don't use much shampoo/conditioner anymore; love my short short hair!

bestcee likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I wash my hair every other day. I'd like to go every three days, but now that I wear it short, it looks greasy if I skip that extra day. I don't condition as frequently as I should, tbh. Maybe I'll do that today. For me, though, it's not just how frequently I shampoo that's important; the shampoo itself really matters, too.Many shampoos are so drying and they make curly hair frizzy, so I have to be careful.

bestcee likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Used to wash my hair nightly Sun-Thurs and let it air dry. It was long so this worked best. On weekends, I'd put it in a ponytail and let it go unless I had something special going on. After I retired, I switched to every other day. Then I chose to get it cut short in December. Still washed it every other day but showered in the morning instead of at night. During the winter months I used the hair dryer. This summer it is even shorter after a couple more trims. Still wash every other day. Don't use the hair dryer if I have nothing planned for the day.

I've been using a shampoo for grey hair for several years after I stopped coloring. Between the not coloring and not using the hair dryer my hair got a lot healthier. Now that it is short it is very healthy. About every other shampoo I add several drops of essential oils to the shampoo as well. Rosemary (2 drops) and Clary Sage (1 drop). Lather it up and let it soak in for a couple minutes then rinse. I cannot use conditioner of any kind because no mater what kind I try, my hair feels oily... even after rinsing it out.

bestcee likes this.
  12. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

If it's possible I wash it max 2 times a week, my hair looks so much healthier since I've stopped washing daily. The first period it looked greasy when I skipped a day, but by starting to wash every other day and then make it a 2 days in between and further it went better and better. I always blow dry because I have a lot of hair, if I don't blowdry it stays wet all day and I really hate that
    I've gone back to blond (my hair is getting really grey...) I have a lot of red pigment in my hair so it tends to be a warm golden tint but I want it to be ash (that what we call it in Dutch) blond so now I wash and condition with silver shampoo and it's the color I want it to be.

And I almost never use gel or hairspray, I have a special oil for my hair, it smells like 'modemoiselle' from Chanel and it makes my hair very shiny

bestcee likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My hair is curly, dry and colored. Not a good combination for washing more than twice a week. My hairdresser told me not to wash it any more than that. I have some good products that I use and if I dampen it and "scrunch it", I can get away with one more day. My hair is straightened in my profile picture, but I usually let it go curly especially in the summer. It never gets oily, so I don't have to deal with that.

bestcee likes this.
  14. dagi

dagi Aiming high

I wash my hair almost every day. It sucks, but I have a bad hair day almost everyday and there's nothing I can do to make them look at least a bit "normal". :giggle
    I use shampoo. Sometimes I apply some hair mask or argan oil.

bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I used to be an every day shampoo and conditioner girl. Now I am an every other day shampoo and condition. God gave me those curls and they respond to humidity, so to get fresh curls I wet my hair on non-cleaning days. I air dry every day and use a curl gel spray to keep the frizzies away.

Once a week I use a deep conditioner that has to be on for at least 10 minutes (I usually do 15 or 20 minutes). So I take a nice hot bubble bath, read a book/magazine, work on the toe nails and those pesky callouses (I love going barefoot), and enjoy some me-time.

bestcee likes this.
  16. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

OH I am one of those high maintenance, have to wash everyday kind of girls!!! I always have been. I have oily skin (face, not body!) and my scalp gets oily too, so my hair looks like stringy poo if I don't. NOW, I have been skipping a day here or there on the weekends since coloring it pink, to hold the color. And it's gotten long enough I can put it up. But that's the only reason I skip! LOL

bestcee likes this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

This. 100%

bestcee likes this.
  18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I wash my hair every day... it's my routine and how I've always done it. My hair is short, straight and fine.... I have to put product in it to get it to do anything so by the next morning, it is wild and frozen in that position... lol!

bestcee likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Which product is this @BevG cause I'd forgotten about how humidity works. I'm an every other or three days and I use a shampoo but no more conditioner. Yep, it make my hair greasy and when you add sweat ...yuck. I let it dry naturally but often do use a gel to set it a bit more. The dirtier my hair gets the bigger it gets. Mine is the opposite of hair going flat. I can gain about 2 inches of height! :giggle

20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I use this: this is a lighter hold, just enough to keep down the frizz. I re-wet my hair every day so that the big volume is calmed (Gotcha on the big stuff). If I use enough gel the first day, I don't need to reapply more the next day.
    [​IMG]

BTW - There is a method out there that was talked about on another thread last summer about going without shampoo and only doing conditioner. Over time, it is supposed to calm the hair and keep the frizz away. I think @Tree City has tried it??