KAPOH

Buckeye-Memories

Buckeye-Memories
KAPOH, Feb 4, 2020
Description:
JOURNALING: My sister and I went on a church-sponsored trip to the Soviet Union in 1988 to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of Christianity in that country. During a tour of an old church, we noticed some trees had dropped their "fruit." While the majority of our group passed these nuts by saying, "they are just horse chestnuts," there were four of us from Ohio who went a bit silly exclaiming we'd found "buckeyes" in Russia. The Buckeye is our state tree, The Ohio State University's sports teams are nicknamed "Buckeyes," and our state is famous for its "buckeye" candy - balls of peanut butter fudge covered in chocolate except for a small portion of the center that shows through and, thus, resembles the "buckeye" nut. (Unlike the tree's fruit, however, our candy is NOT poisonous!)

CREDITS: PHOTOS: by me: FONT: Ohio Script; Microsoft Himalaya; KIT: "Bergen" - Lynn Grieveson
Dalis likes this.
    • A-M
      What an interesting memory you have shared. The grunge frame goes well with your photo.
    • Pups_r_Paps
      I LOVE that you chose to write about the Buckeye tree. Your photos are lovely as is your title work.
    • CharlotteM
      such a wonderful page, love your journaling!
    • wombat146
      Fabulous page!! love the grungy frame of the photo and love your journaling! I bet you must have super excited to see the trees in Russia!!! and thank you for explaining just why the chestnuts were given their nickname of Buckeye!! I have never seen a chestnut tree for real and your photos show a very lovely and leafy tree! Thanks for sharing your memory with us!
    • Dalis
      Oh how funny that you guys were so excited vs. everyone else. I make a darn good buckeye pie! LOL!!!
    • Susan - s3js
      This is a priceless memory to record. The trip to Russia would have been memorable enough, but the personal, intimate stories bring it to life. The perspective on your photo makes me wonder what more there is just outside the frame. Thanks for sharing!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Art Journaling
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Feb 4, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    132 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    457px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).