New Designer to me

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Apr 28, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

well not totally new to me but I bought a couple of Forever Joy's kits and am now trying to figure out how to use them in my style

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I bought them for the theme rather than the design but now I'm just not sure how to make them fit my scrapping style

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Most of the Lilypad designers are new to me, and I still only have stuff by about a third of them. When trying a new designer style, I tend to have a look at the layouts done by his/her design team. Then choosing the team member whose style is closest to my own, or the one that inspires me the most, browse the team member's gallery and find something(s) to scraplift.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Exactly what @Angela Toucan said :) I look through the sample layouts or the designer's gallery to find inspiration in different styles.

MrsPeel, ForeverJoy and Angela Toucan like this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

the best thing about digi to me is getting to play with new styles with no huge risk because you can click 'undo'- I think the big wordart & patterns especially suit your style Jennifer and it's part of what i love about her designs (i use wordart as titles a lot) - in addition to what Jan and Angela said, i usually check out the designers gallery, sometimes they scrap with their own product - Renne's is here, she uses big photos, patterns and big titles too usually https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/users/foreverjoy.35863/
    Personally, i've used both Slow and Steady and Goal Digger a few times, like with the template this month ( her flowers always play well with Cheryl (Fiddle Dee Dee's) templates to me)
    [​IMG]
    i dont really stick to any style but her kits work for both my clean and simple and throw it all on the page styles and pockety too. these are mine from the gallery
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I am also fairly new to Renne's work, having only one of her kits. But after the chat the other night, I am sold!! I never really looked at her store until the chat, and was thrilled at all I saw. I also look at the designers layouts that they show with their kit. It's a great help because you see so many different scrapping styles. Jennifer, I really think, with your style of scrapping, you would work very will with her kits. Can't wait to see what you do!!!!
    That being said, I LOVE when TLP does the Pick Your Prize because it really makes you look at each designer and see the work they do. Some of the designers on my "favorites" list were discovered this way.

6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@bellbird, thanks for sharing your layouts. It was definitely the word art and word strips that drew me to the kits so i’m sure I can do something

7. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

Hey Jen! great to meet you! :beat I say- don't try and define yourself- just have fun! And definitely try working with one kit at a time- as both of those have different vibes. Take a look at the Word Art (one of my fave things to design) and see if that sparks a story. :yup And finally- you can look thru my gallery here or on Pinterest or the layouts that accompany each kit and see if there is something you want to scraplift.

Justine! :beat Great advice!! Templates are always terrific- and I LOVE Cheryl's videos too!

Nancy! That WAs a fun chat, wasn't it! :giggle Thanks so much for the :beat - it's always terrific to meet new friends here at the pad!

pbrooks, jesskab, MrsPeel and 2 others like this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Renee's kits will be new to me as well. I always love looking through her shop, but like you @littlekiwi I wonder if I can fit it into my style too.

I look at the layouts in her gallery and see that people scrap like me, but I still haven't taken the plunge.

Matter of fact....
    I think I'll head there now @ForeverJoy and pick up something ...just gonna jump in feet first. LOL

wvsandy, ForeverJoy, MrsPeel and 2 others like this.
  9. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

oh I have been Renee's fan for almost 7 years if I 'm not mistaken!!!!! I followed her around and I am so so happy she is here with us!!!!
    I reckon you have more than good advice here Jenn, but I'm with Renee, don't try to define yourself....
    with me, I love using the whole element pack LOL but some kits have that feeling that need to be a clean page with only two or three of them max.... Renee's kits have so much, you can open the kit and feel it... or find inspiration in her team or the Pollys ... I would, if looking for inspiration in others, look through her gallery, there are people who aren't Pollys or her team whom I have seen awesome pages done too!!!! I know this is way too full for your style, but this is a page combining those two kits :)

[​IMG]

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Jennifer, I loved this recent page that I did for Anne of Alamo's speed scrap on 4/11.. I used 3 of Forever Joy's (Renne's) kits and had so much fun with them...
    [​IMG]

It is a fairly clean and simple page using bits and pieces and papers of all 3 of the below kits:

It used 3 kits:
    [​IMG]
    A big Fav of mine:
    [​IMG]
    And:
    [​IMG]

SO just play and have fun!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  11. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

Jennifer, I think that you will find that you LOVE Forever Joy's (Renne's) kits. In checking out your gallery, I think they will suit you perfectly. I do a lot of more artsy pages but I still use the Forever Joy kits and have for many years. I look forward to seeing what you do with the two kits.

enjoyyourpix and ForeverJoy like this.
  12. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Oh goodness, I've followed Renne since SO. She has such beautiful kits. I actually missed the Slow & Steady for SOSN. I think it's perfect for scrapping a story about my journey to my degree. I know you've been along that same path. Maybe start there, with the story. Have fun!

13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi
    @Angela Toucan
    @NancyP
    @LoveItScrapIt
    @ForeverJoy

I have had a bit of an obsession with ForeverJoy kits for a long while. They do suit my natural scrapping style, so I thought I would share a few layouts that I've created with FJD products. You can scrap clean and simple or full page like me . . . the kits are so versatile! And FABULOUS themes!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

pbrooks, wvsandy, bonnenuit and 6 others like this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

And those are linked to the gallery in case you want to check out what kits I used!

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I really love her products. When I took her survey, one of the things I realized I liked is the way Renee presents her kits. Very great presentation of her products. I'm so glad I found her.

16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@gonewiththewind how wonderful of you to share those layouts. I see a lot that would fit Jenn's style.

17. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I am honoured to be on Renne's creative team, but had been buying and playing with her kits for years before that!

I particularly love her patterned papers and word art (my two big scrapping must haves) and think that fits right in with your style. When I scrap for CT work I do try to use a lot of the kit to show everything off, but I believe that her kits work equally as well with less embellished pages too.

I hope you have fun with your new goodies.

enjoyyourpix and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  18. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

:beat Thank you! You always make me smile!!

:beat

LOVED that one too! :beat I had to add it to my Pinboard! :beat

"just a few" :giggle The obsesion is mutual! I can always count on a Fiddle Dee Dee template to get me out of my center-in-the-page layout style- I don't know how you come up with so many different awesome styles each week!

:beat Thank you! Sometimes I crack myself up when I'm writing description

ons! :giggle

:beat LOVE having you on the team Suzanne!!

19. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

you know I have been a huge fan of yours for years!!!! you were the only designer who achieved me buying from the orchard at the time you moved there LOL
    and the finding the JOY is a very truthful statement with your kits!!!!!

and Suzanne @fruitysuet you have made me buy many of Renne's kits before I made Polly!!!! I particularly remember the driving test/licence kit... your pages are always awesome <3

ForeverJoy and enjoyyourpix like this.
  20. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I love the versatility of Forever Joy kits. (I thought I had more in my gallery, but it looks like I only have these two from MOC.) They are a perfect fit for my style -- I like to have a few carefully placed elements arranged on my page and Forever Joy kits are *full* of fun embellishments! I only use a few at a time, which means I'll get a lot of unique pages from a single kit, and that makes me super happy!

Both of these use Model Behavior:

[​IMG] [​IMG]