May 17 Inspiration: Color

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by bellbird, May 17, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hi and I hope you are enjoying the Weekly Focus Challenges! This is a colour inspiration challenge - or almost a lack of colour challenge: White on White or to me, just plain WoW! (And I'm Aussie so forgive my typing color with a U)

On the page for this challenge, the colour comes predominantly from your photo and helps it stand out all the more (and white will never clash with the colours in your photo!) I love colour just as much as the next person and I know some people will think 'boring' or bland but WoW can be pretty spectacular. If you are still in doubt, think about wedding dresses and how amazingly ornate and beautiful they can be without any colour.

How do you make white on white work? Well to me, this is where texture and shadowing comes in to highlight the edges of shapes and letters including the cut-out parts of designs and make things less flat. Think about using beveled edges on shapes to emboss a design or texture layer styles if your program allows. But in planning a page for this I found it most helpful to think of the many elements that are typically white - lace, doileys, gesso, canvas backgrounds, basic or polaroid type frames and if you think about each of these, they have their own details that can make flat digital 'white space' become quite detailed while not overwhelming the photo.

Let me show you some examples that inspired me (and yes these examples include some spots of colour and black ink and journalling but the idea here is to create a predominantly white page with a focal photo).
    The cut-outs in this one by ScatteredConfetti on pinterest - I looked at the shadows and stitching here
    [​IMG]
    the big title wordart on this one by emma_kw from pinterest that also has great cardstock texture
    [​IMG]
    by Waimea Scrap on pinterest - incorporates embossing and patterns with sheen from buttons and layered fabrics, see the frayed edges? Also WoW works with black and white shots
    [​IMG]
    And for added inspiration, this is a more minimalist version by Magda Mizera from pinterest:
    [​IMG]
    And photoless by Denise Bennett on pinterest
    [​IMG]
    And this one is by TLP Designer, Dawn Inskip from her gallery here - yummy texture, crochet/doiley bits and a bit of sparkle!
    [​IMG]
    So what did I come out with?
    This was my first one - full credits in the gallery description, just click the pics. I used Dawn's Aged Stucco paper with extra gesso for a textured background and another paper by Sara Gleason from her all whites Albus paper pack to matt the photo. The layers of tulle were inspired by the water spray in the photo; I added some pattern with the vellum striped ampersand and softened the veneer lettering so it wasn't so brown.
    [​IMG]
    Then I wanted to try going WoW with a portrait so for this one I used a Pink Reptile paper that has great stitching on it and I used it over a few of Scrapping With Liz's cut-out templates. I used a worn edged frame and gesso to extend the fence pattern in the background of the photo into the page but softened the gesso and added detail with the lace.
    [​IMG]

WoW is not as hard as you might think. You can always mix and match bits from kits and the less perfect the match, the more authentic it can look!

One last tip: If you have trouble seeing detail in the white based layouts above, you may need to adjust the brightness of your monitor!

Can't wait to see your WoW pages so if you feel inspired, come back and add them to this thread so we can all see!
    Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Just awesome, Justine!

bellbird likes this.
  3. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I was instantly inspired by this one as I've been wanting to try this! Took me longer than I thought!

[​IMG]

bbymks5, GlazeFamily3, Dalis and 2 others like this.
  4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Interesting challenge. I didn't have any photo that inspired me but was gripped by this Bible verse as I kept thinking about the "white on white" layout. So a no photo layout.
    [​IMG]

bbymks5, jk703, GlazeFamily3 and 4 others like this.
  5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

That was fun but now my eyes need a break!
    [​IMG]

bbymks5, GlazeFamily3, Karen and 3 others like this.
  6. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

Very cool! I am using a new program, and Im not good at shadowing there yet, but ill try!

bellbird and Dalis like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I never would have thought to do an all white layout like this, but I LOVE how this turned out! Thanks for the inspiration Justine! :)

[​IMG]

bbymks5 and bellbird like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Loving all these beautiful WoW pages!

9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I saw that first page on Pinterest recently and was in love ... awesome challenge!

bellbird likes this.
  10. orkan

orkan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I hope to have answered your wait! Thank you!

mcurtt, bbymks5 and bellbird like this.
  11. AnotherAmanda

AnotherAmanda Well-Known Member

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I need to take a How to Make Clusters class LOL!!

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i will pass on your request to the Powers That Be but i'm cluster challenged so it wouldn't be a post i'd write - if i'm 'freestyling', i tend to add a ton of stuff i love the look of individually, then take 3/4 of it off (and if u think i can cluster from any particular pages in my gallery, my not-so-secret secret is templates ;) )

Sokee and bbymks5 like this.
  14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Here is what I came up with. :)
    [​IMG]

Sokee, bellbird and bbymks5 like this.
  15. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

LOL!! Clustering looks a lot easier than it is!! I do love using templates though!

16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Here I used four different white papers to build the background.
    [​IMG]

Sokee and bellbird like this.
  17. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I might be a little late to the game, but I loved this challenge. I chose a photo with lots of whites, and layered different shades and textures.

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ok, I hope mine fits, I may have used a bit too much black and grey.

[​IMG]

AJK likes this.
  19. amandaresende

amandaresende amandaresende

I LOVE WoW pages! here's mine :)
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  20. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

an amazing challenge, I tried to turn everything to white, blending, shadowed, etc...also used a white alpha, I really enjoyed this one, love white

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.