July 22 Photography: Text on a Photo

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jul 22, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Welcome to the final focus challenge for July! I hope you’ve had a great time playing along and using all the neat tips and tricks everyone has shared this week!

I’m keeping my challenge pretty simple - text on a photo. One of the best things about digital scrapbooking is how you can play around with photos, change things, add things, without destroying the original image. There are several different ways you can go about adding text directly on a photo.

You can do it right in your scrapping program as you are creating your layout. Simply go to the text tool and start typing, journal a whole paragraph or add a fun word art. You can change the color, blending, opacity, shape, etc - however you want to make it work for your photo. Here’s my example:

[​IMG]

But, I wanted to share another really fun way to do this if you are using photos from your phone or tablet is to download the fonts to your phone and, using an app like Phonto or Over, add fun captions or text to your photo. If you haven’t seen it, there is a whole category of Mobile Ready fonts in the store. They are so much fun to play around with and add fun details to your photos. The regular fonts in the store work as well.

I personally use Phonto because it’s the one I started with and it’s so easy. They have a lot of fonts already in the app, but if you want to use one of the awesome fonts from the store, all you have to do is go to your downloads in the browser on your phone or tablet

[​IMG]

Tap the download and you will see this box, then tap open in Phonto

[​IMG]

Tap install

[​IMG]

And it is ready to use in the app! Open the photo you want to play around with and tap anywhere on the image

[​IMG]

Go to My Fonts, and you will see all the ones you have download. Just pick one and start playing! You can change the size, color, tilt, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my examples, I used:

Snippies Vol 2 by Gina Miller and Heather Joyce
    [​IMG]

Story Snips by Sara Gleason
    [​IMG]

Key Notes by One Little Bird
    [​IMG]

The Jam by Heather Joyce
    [​IMG]

You can also do this with fonts you have already installed on your computer by using the Dropbox app. There’s a great blog post on how to do this HERE.

You can then print the photo with captions or save it to use in a layout. It’s fun for traditional or pocket pages, or even just sharing on social media. And the mobile ready fonts also include png versions that can be used on scrapbook pages or projects!

I said this was a simple challenge, right? All I want you to do is add text directly on your photo. How you do it is completely up to you. Journal, caption, decorate with fonts…just have fun! I can’t wait to see what all you awesome artists create!

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have a few of those sets! I haven't thought about using them for awhile. So fun to revisit this ... might have to go shopping after seeing this thread of cute Word Art bits. Love your page Jan and great challenge! :beat

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

4. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

5. IntenseMagic

Love it, @michele hillam! The hashtags are so great! Thanks for playing along :)

6. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

After having stomach surgery, and not eating his favourite food for a long time, we took him for dinner to get pizza! He watched them make his pizza!!!

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

Love it, @meterr! I'm sure he enjoyed that pizza!!! Thanks for playing along!!

meterr likes this.
  8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

PixelLab is another great app that allows you to add fonts; you can also do digital scrapbooking with it....it's what I did a lot of my MOC5 stuff with before I learned how to use CS5)

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

That's awesome, Timmi @bbymks5 :) Thanks for the tip on that! I need to check it out! And I love that page!!

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

You're welcome! Unfortunately it doesn't allow .psd files, but it's fun to play with when you're on the go!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

I know I'm way late to the game, but since I've completed the monthly challenges, I figured I would play along. (Exactly why I'm loving these Focus Challenges. Great challenge Jan!!!

[​IMG]

12. IntenseMagic

So, so glad you played along!! Love it so much!!

Lor likes this.
  13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Also late, too much to do, not enough time.

[​IMG]

14. IntenseMagic

I totally love this!! Thanks for playing along :)

15. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think