Seeing President or world leader? Pad patter 02.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

i would love to keep this from being political please just the excitement of the moment please please.
    My husband took my boys to see our President on Monday night. They left here at noon to go El Paso, Texas. Waited for 4 hours outside then another 4 inside. They got home at midnight and were so excited.
    I saw George W. Bush, just to wave to years ago, he drove thru our town. It was very exciting to me.
    So the question to you, have you ever seen your country’s or another world leader close up?

Kat, Cherylndesigns and cfile like this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Not this one, no.
    But our family did see Nelson Mandela at the airport before he became President.
    Not sure if that counts - but it's all I have.
    [​IMG]

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I saw Jimmy Carter at a campaign stop in 1976. I was in college and he came to Toledo and did a stop in the parking lot of a mall. That was my first year to vote.

In 2004 George W Bush took a bus trip through the midwest on his re-election tour. He came through my town but did not stop... the bus just went real slow so he could wave at everyone. I didn't fight the crowd, saw pictures in the newspaper the next day.

The governor of Ohio was in town on Sunday for a celebration of the 150th anniversary of the county courthouse which was also a small part of the 50th anniversary of the moon walk celebration. He spoke and I chose not to go even though there were still tickets available. I don't handle crowds well at all with my tinnitus so it would have been a miserable experience.

Juliestcyr and QuiltyMom like this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I saw the Queen's sister, Princess Margaret, when I was a child. She came to visit the area I lived.

I've had discussions as an adult with our Member of Parliament (both current and previous) and the Parliamentary candidates.

5. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Last century... Haha, good beginning for an old story, right? :) I was stood up (is that an expression) by my best friend, because, she saw Princess Diana (kind of world leader), so no, I have never seen one, but she did ;) and I got stood up. harrumph! LOL. DOes that count?

Karen, bestcee, Angela Toucan and 2 others like this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I was in the same room as Trump once, but it was long before he was president. It would have been around 1992-1993-ish. It was when I was travelling all the time for work and I was on a long-term project in New York. Marla Maples was on my flight into LaGuardia airport and he came to meet her at baggage claim, so I was probably about 15 feet away from them. It was very low key. Everyone gave them plenty of space and just left them alone. Of course, that was before camera phone days. :rolleyes:

(I heard people saying that Cat Stevens was there too, but I had no clue what he looked like so I have no idea if that was true. :giggle)

Cherylndesigns, QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Clinton and his entourage drove through the capital of Honduras when we were there- he was actually leaning out of his SUV! ( Bet he wouldn't do that there now!, lol!)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I went to Clinton's first inauguration. I could see him as a tiny speck in the distance, and then in the parade that passed directly in front of us. It's the last time I've attended an inauguration because the crowds are insane!

I sang in the choir at the funeral for Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, and Clinton and Janet Reno sat in the front row. (She was very tall!) There were other famous people there but I can't remember who.

I saw Senator Walter Mondale and his running mate, Geraldine Ferraro, on a campaign stop in Madison, Wisconsin. Even though I wasn't going to vote for them I wanted the chance to say I'd been there.

Former South African President F.W. De Klerk visited the church I was attending while in grad school. What an amazing man.

Senator Bob Dole was a member of the same church while he was running for President. I almost ran into him once because I was too busy talking with my friend to notice him (and the bank of photographers near him!). Also, Senator John Glenn was a member and many times I sat in front of him during service.

When I was working for an educational travel company we brought the school group to the White House Lawn during Bush I for a special ceremony for the President of Venezuela? (I can't remember - it was years ago.)

And I've seen countless motorcades and helicopters for who-knows-who in and around the Washington, DC area. It gets very old very fast.

Oh, and I saw Sandra Day O'Connor at a benefit gala that my in-laws gave us their tickets for, and danced on the same dance floor as attorney Kenneth Star the same night.

The only famous non-politician I've met was Billy Graham. I will remember that moment forever!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    weaselwatchr, Juliestcyr and cfile like this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I haven't but my Mother was a senior in High School and their class trip was to Washington DC.. her class presented President Dwight D Eisenhower with a golf club and had photos taken on the front lawn.. Hubby met President Bush & First Lady Laura on a trip to the White House as well...

How exciting for the boys Anne :) @AnneofAlamo Your husband must have been smiling ear to ear with pride bringing them to see the President. :)

Not a President or World leader.. just someone in the movies...
    I was on a plane with Spalding Gray (Dr. from the movie Beaches with Bette Midler and also other movies) before he passed away... he was across the aisle from me on the plane ... I forget where we all were going.. NY to TX I think...
    upload_2019-2-13_11-52-59.png

Also in 2002 flying home out of LAX (first class for our 20th Anniversary) Paul Williams was 3 people behind us in line for TSA and I had hubby laughing as I couldn't remember his name and while I knew WHO he was, I was calling him Randy Newman, the songwriter of Short People.. LOL My husband laughed , said well he is a songwriter and he is short but he is not Randy Newman, and got me on the right track that it was Paul Williams!!
    upload_2019-2-13_11-56-24.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Juliestcyr and QuiltyMom like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

As an addendum to my previous post, I have met several other political figures. During the last 5 to 10 years when I worked, the president of the company was getting involved in more political things in our county. And, because of our business, political figures would come to visit our company especially after the 2008 economic downturn to see how the business was doing (fine... still going strong!). Most were state level representatives although Jim Jordan, the rep for our district in the House of Representatives visited several times. I swear that man doesn't stop because he would make multiple visits to places in his district during the day then show up on TV in Washington that evening. My boss was quite proud of the fact that he met John Kasich when he was governor of Ohio and that Kasich would take his phone calls or call him. I do believe Kasich visited the company but I don't remember it. Might have been when I was on vacation.

I still call dibs on the First Man on the Moon. Knowing Neil Armstrong (and he knew my name as well) will always be my claim to fame!

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

THAT is very cool!!!

12. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see any of the political figures in person or up close. I know Senator John McCain has come often to my town but I was never in town when he was here (both during his senate term and when he was campaigning). I hear about them being in the state but have not made the effort to actually go see them.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

We went to Police Week in DC twice where George W. Bush gave a speech. that's it for politicians for me. Unless you count Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu, DOE Secretary Ernest Moniz, and DOE Secretary Rick Perry.

But I did have dinner with Ryan Stiles from the Drew Carey Show.

cfile and QuiltyMom like this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I grew up in the DC suburbs and then worked there before my 1st marriage so I've seen a lot of political figures but never had any interest in film stars, singers etc. I used to walk down to the White House when visiting heads of states had parades - in open cars of course! and I used to go and sit in the House or Senate in my grade school years when I'd go into the city with my mother who worked at the Library of Congress. Ah the freedom to wander the city all day as a 9 or 10 year old. Truly the old days. I don't remember who I saw but when Congress was in session it was a fun place to sit, watch and listen. No surprise that I ending up working for Senators.

I've met President Clinton several times - once before he was elected and stood and talked to him and once at the USNA gradation when I had a special ticket. When I shouted that I'd voted for him he pushed the Secret Service aside to come and speak to me. :circles3rd time was when he visited our Senate staff. I also met George Bush Sr when he visited Bahrain and sadly the photo of the two of us was lost in many moves. I met Desmond Tutu in DC when a friend and I went to a lecture. He spoke to each and every person who wanted to meet him. Very impressive!

Finally, there is this one...Queen Elizabeth and the then Prince Andrew. Prince Phillip was also there but I wasn't interested in him!
    [​IMG]

15. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

That must be a story! Is he as funny in person as he is on Who's Line?

16. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

The short version is that a friend of John's was also friends with Ryan - I grew up in a town about 30 miles south of the Canadian border. Since they filmed Who's Line in Vancouver, BC, Ryan and his wife bought a home in my old town, on the same street as John's friend. He used to talk about Ryan and what a nice guy he was, and ended up inviting us and Ryan and his wife to dinner. They are very nice. And yes, he's as funny in real life. But, in a way it was almost like he felt like he had to be "on" and entertaining all the time, so part of me felt a bit sorry for him that he couldn't entirely relax. Or, maybe he really is that way all the time!

QuiltyMom, michelepixels and cfile like this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's cool!

18. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

We were at a car repair place when Air Force One landed in Phoenix with the president on board. Can't remember which president. But I was kind of watching out the window in hopes of seeing the plane. And sure enough! Flew right by. So that was exciting to me.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have not, but I SOOO wanted to see Pope John Paul II when he came to California. My parents were able to go!

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.
  20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've never cared, after all they are just people. I did know Nancy Kerrigan's grandma. And Rachel McAdams was around one of my hometowns growing up. We skated at the same rink sometimes. My mom is sure we knew her, but it wouldn't have made an impact at that time.

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.