July 19 Photography : Getting Close

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by MrsPeel, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

:photo We put up a couple hummingbird feeders this year and I have spent hours trying to shoot a good photo of the birds in flight but have not had any luck. I have used my good Nikon and my iPhone on a tripod. It is hard to get close enough to focus without scaring the bird away.

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Try using a zoom lens, like a 200mm. Using zoom is another way to do macro. But yes, it is hard. The more you just sit out there the more used they will be to you. Focus on part of the feeder and then hope they are equal distance from you as that spot when they show up. Of course, a very fast shutter speed helps too.

The hummers at my mom's house are very used to people on the porch. I was about 10ft away and used my zoom out to 200mm. These were hand held. And yes, I took 100's just to get these few good ones. If you get one in focus, then you can also crop it in closer.
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel and Iowan like this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Super job here. i have scads of them with the beak in the feeder, but I can't catch them flying. I will keep working on it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    MrsPeel likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Indeed. Now that is another challenge to work on!

Here is a site that someone shared with me with tips. http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/hummer/humguide2.asp

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Love all of these. I need to get out my camera this wee

6. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

yes, yes, the shots are AWESOME-

Now the zoom way was what I was using when I had my 200 zoom lens.... I used it for so much more than just zooming, for me, it was a great way to get depth of field even if I had no clue how to set up the camera..... so I ended up with awesome Sarita's portraits.... and with macros, the only way I could get to insect or the squirrels w`as with the zoom lens..... great reminder!!!!!!!

7. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I knew what I was picking right away!!

[​IMG]

8. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I suppose I can live without bees, and this certainly is not my child's favorite toy, but I do love to sit on my deck with my phone and take pictures of the little buggers.
    [​IMG]