January 6: Dispersion (Technique Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 6, 2018.

1. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Agree.....god knows how I’m going to pull this one off!

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you have a stipple effect? I'm wondering if that would give a dispersion look.
    I think it's the right track! I think you are going to end up being the one writing the artisan how to!

4. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

i use an ancient version of pse and cannot follow along - please help

you start by saying - " The first thing you want to do is create a 2 copies of your background layer. On the bottom copy, we need to take the subject out of the background. Do this by using the lasso tool and just make a rough outline around the subject. Then go to fill> content aware fill to take your subject out. If you don’t have content aware, you can always use the clone stamp remove the subject "

when you say take the subject out - do you mean extract. how do you extract with the clone stamp as i dont have content aware.

then you say " Now we are going back to the top copy we made and select just the subject. I used the quick selection tool to isolate my granddaughter. You can do this however is easiest for you, and you don’t have to be absolutely exact. Once the selection is made, make 2 of copies of just your subject using ctrl-j or cmd-j. Once you make the copies of the subject, you don't need that second background copy, so just hide it. "

this time you use the quick selection tool - why not use this in the first step. also why extract twice- why not just make a copy of it

this is as far as i got. so hopefully someone cna answer these questions.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I guess this is the first one that is actually challenging me - and that’s a good thing. I don’t really prefer the look, so it will be hard to do something I am not fond of in the first place

Neverland Scraps, Kat and Rikki like this.
  6. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

So, how is this? I very rarely scrap a photo twice but this was 'I have to give this a go' challenge! Wow, I've just done things I've NEVER done before! So glad I'm on holidays and it's a Scrapbooking Saturday! If this meets the challenge brief, I'm happy to share how I did it in Artisan. Very happy with the end product....it shows exactly how he felt! :)

GennieJoy MOC 6 #6.jpg

Kimvanneste, tlcd1961, Sokee and 10 others like this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

looks fantastic to me! love the ramp effect the wordart strip has on the angle like that and how he's heading for the stars!

IntenseMagic and Genniejoy like this.
  8. Genniejoy

The trial version is really limited I think, but I haven't used it for a long time. Is what I've done and posted ok? It certainly challenged me but I'm happy with the result and I think it looks similar to yours. Let me know. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Genniejoy

Thanks Bellbird! This is so far from how I usually scrap but it struck me that that's how he felt. He'd never been on a quad bike before and at 15 he was thrilled to 'burn around' the acre block his friend lives on.

bellbird likes this.
  10. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Looks totally intriguing... Hope I have a suitable photo!

bellbird likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Well boys and their toys - it never changes, does it!? i'm thinking of using this technique on some of my son's playing with Monster Jam trucks (like big 'hot wheels' cars) but my daughter suggested a trampoline, mid air photo so i'm still at the thinking stage with this one

jesskab and Genniejoy like this.
  12. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

oh dear. I always dread these types of challenges during MOC. I use scrapbook max and I think I am the only one who does. I will do my best. fingers crossed lol
    @AnneofAlamo any suggestions? you saved my bacon before

Sokee, Kat and Angela Toucan like this.
  13. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't think I am going to use this technique often, I just don't have the right photos for that. In samples it looks always awesome, but with my everyday pics the effect is just not that great.

[​IMG]

Kimvanneste, Thuria, amandac and 4 others like this.
  14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

looks like fun, I can't do that in my scrapbooking software, but my Serif photo-editor probably can once I translate the instructions across. If anyone uses Photoplus and has done this before please let me know.

15. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you for this great challenge
    Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

16. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Thanks so much for this fun challenge!

[​IMG]

angiekey, elitka, elk2009 and 9 others like this.
  17. Genniejoy

Okay so I have been on here, catching up and posting since 10 am and it's now 10pm! (What a great way to spend a day!). Admin, please let me know if my pages are all uploaded in the correct places. I've done the following for Artisan users as I'm going to sleep now and won't be back until tomorrow night. Feel free to delete it if it's not ok . :) 2018 January MOC Day 6 - Instructions for Artisan.jpg

18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

yikes? I think what causes our brains to shut down is perfection.
    Can you extract? YES
    then do that
    then duplicate the extraction
    stretch ONE Of them any way your program will allow,blur if possible but if not Dont worry!

on the one you stretched you are going to cut out pieces to show You can cut and copy if you can't use a mask
    the one that isn't stretched you are going to cut into the edge of extraction (one side) cut out

clear as mud? eek?

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

20. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

I Don't Understand This Technique????!!!!...I Don't Use Photoshop Or Own Photoshop...I Use A Really Old Scrapbooking Program That Doesn't Even Have The Ability To Clip One Thing To Another So There Is No Way
    That I Can Separate Anything From A Photo...This Is The Reason Templates Used To Be A Problem For Me But I Learned To Use PNGs...Maybe You Can Provide Us An Overlay That Is Similar To Use Instead Of This Technique...
    Are We Gonna Be Penalized For Not Having Photoshop?...Help Please...Thank You...

Kat likes this.