January 13: Create a shaker box

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by keepscrappin, Jan 12, 2022.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

JANUARY 13: Create a Shaker Box

Hello scrappers,

Today we are going to "shake things up a bit".... digitally, and create a shaker box for our scrapbook layouts.

What's a shaker box, you ask? It's a portion of your layout that is a clear window filled with tiny elements that move around when you shake it.

In paper scrapping shaker boxes are made with a cardstock shape as the base, frame/cut out for the top, acetate/plastic sheet to create a window and keep the contents inside, tiny items to shake (which usually consists of confetti, scatters, sequins, beads, glitter, etc) and strips of foam mounting tape to build up the edges of the box so the items have room to shake.

Allison Pennington has made a plastic sheet freebie that you can use to create the window for your shaker box if you want.

[​IMG]
    click image to download

Things to consider when making your shaker box
    • Shaker boxes are 3D and pop off the page since they use foam mounting tape around the edges. Use deep shadows on the frame to get that popped effect.

[​IMG]
    • Frames and cut out shapes are a quick way to start your shaker box.
    • Don't have a frame or cut out, use a wide stroke on a separate layer to create your frame/top.
      • Try width: 65 px (adjust as needed for your size of box) with location: center for your stroke. Remember the foam mounting tape in paper scrapping is hidden by this frame, so make it wide enough to look it's hiding foam mounting tape.
    • You may have to play with blend modes & opacity to get the plastic cover ripples to show up on dark backgrounds (lighten) and possibly need to invert (ctrl i) the plastic cover & play with opacity on light backgrounds.
    • Feel free to move the plastic sheet around so you can get the ripples to show how you want.
    • Hide the plastic sheet layer while you're adding the shaker items so it doesn't get in the way.
    [​IMG]

Layout I made for this challenge
    As you can see, the BIG, filled heart is my shaker box. Note: I inverted (ctrl i) the plastic sheet cover so it would show the subtle ripples of the plastic on my light colored shaker box.

[​IMG]

Shaker Box Layout Requirements
    1. Create at least 1 shaker box on your layout - any size, please make sure I can easily see it.
    You may use templates, but you CANNOT USE a premade shaker box as your shaker box. Premade scatters, confetti, whimsies, etc ARE allowed.

2. Fill your shaker box with tiny items so it's at least 1/3 full - It needs filled with LOTS and LOTS of elements so it can SHAKE! :agree
    Remember gravity - the bottom of your shaker box should have a higher concentration of lots of elements piled in there and will get more spread out as they go up. Also, if you want to vary the drop shadow depths/distance on several of the shaker items it will help them appear to be stacked inside the shaker box.

3. Finish your layout as desired. No photos are required, but you can have as many as you want.

4. Have fun and keep scrappin. :agree

General MOC requirements
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. Please copy & paste the Share BB Code so we can easily find your layout in the gallery. People can comment here too, if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Ga_L, G.J., crazsquaw and 9 others like this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Saving post for Q&A

Getting the plastic to show better
    For darker backgrounds, try the lighten or soft light blend mode or other blend modes in those sections. Even inverting (ctrl i) with a soft light blend mode might help. You can also duplicate the plastic, reduce the opacity and/or move the plastic around to get an area that has lots of ripples.

For lighter backgrounds, try inverting (ctrl i) the plastic layer and duplicate it if needed. You can also try blend modes and adjust the opacity.

Wondering what to fill your shaker box with?
    You can fill the box with tiny items like confetti, scatters, sequins, beads, glitter. Really you can shrink down any items you want to fill the shaker box with.

Pro tip for getting that full feel. DUPLICATE, duplicate, duplicate your shaker item layers and then rotate paste them in behind, on top of and in-between larger items.

If you're wondering what shape to make your box? You can use a photo spot on a template for your shaker box. You can use a frame or a cut out for your shaker box. Really any shape will work.

You can do any theme. If you're thinking of doing a food or cooking layout, just look through the kits you want to use and pick out some of your favorite elements and shrink them down and pile lots and lots into your shaker box. This challenge is meant to be fun and let you be creative and play with your scrapping stash to fill your shaker box with lots of tiny items. :agree

Watch Cheryl Scrap LIVE! for January 13, 2022 - Create A Shaker Box

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    G.J. and crazsquaw like this.
  3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

For someone who used to make real shaker greeting cards this sounds like a fun challenge.

G.J., easyeyes4you, Lillyia and 7 others like this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Such a fun challenge! I will definitely use this technique again!

[​IMG]

5. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Oh, this sounds like fun!

G.J. likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This was so much fun... Thankyou
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    wenckechodan, G.J., myka and 7 others like this.
  8. DopeyGal

DopeyGal I don't like deserted islands!

This was so much fun!!!!!

[​IMG]

Enid, G.J., myka and 5 others like this.
  9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

LOVE Shaker cards- so fun to do digitally!
    [​IMG]

Electra, DivaMom96, G.J. and 7 others like this.
  10. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Thank you for the plastic sheets and fun challenge :D
    [​IMG]

zotova, myka and keepscrappin like this.
  11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

everyone makes this look so easy, only thing comes to mind for me is a clove spice, but so small comare to a cinnamon stick

12. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Love this challenge! Don't forget that they need to be

keepscrappin and A-M like this.
  14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

15. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Oooh this sounds like lot of fun!!!!❤️

G.J. likes this.
  16. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

17. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

What a fun challenge! Thank you!

[​IMG]

jesskab, Karen, cinna and 11 others like this.
  18. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Super creative and fun challenge

[​IMG]

cinna, G.J., myka and 6 others like this.
  19. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

How unique! I used to do this all the time with paper scrapping!!! My favorite one was one I did with Australian coins :) Glad I only have to work a partial day today - but I have to finish because we leave town tomorrow and I have to be caught up. LOL

Karen likes this.
  20. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!