In your Refrigerator | Pad Patter 8.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 11, 2021.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bestcee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce We had it when we first went to Ireland/UK in 2015 ... I am thrilled to find it in the grocery (also Amazon is much cheaper) ... so it is an alternate of Ketchup... Heinz ended up taking over the production of it. I use it for a lot of things I woud use ketchup on.

HP Sauce is a brown sauce,[2] the main ingredients of which are Tomatoes and tamarind extract. The sauce was originally produced in the United Kingdom and is currently made by the Heinz Company in the Netherlands. It was named after London's Houses of Parliament. After making its first appearance on British dinner tables in the late 19th century, HP Sauce went on to become an icon of British culture.[3] It was the best-selling brand of brown sauce in the UK in 2005, with 73.8% of the retail market.[4]

HP Sauce has a tomato base, blended with malt vinegar and spirit vinegar, sugars (molasses, glucose-fructose syrup, sugar), dates, cornflour, rye flour, salt, spices and tamarind.[5] It is used as a condiment with hot and cold savoury food, and as an ingredient in soups and stews.

The picture on the front of the bottle is a selection of London landmarks including Elizabeth Tower, the Palace of Westminster, and Westminster Bridge.
    upload_2021-8-16_3-0-15.png

bestcee likes this.
  2. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

@cfile Could you use HP sauce as a substitute for Worchestershire sauce or are they totally different? I have a recipe where there's supposed to be W-sauce, but since W-sauce has anchovies in it, I can't use it anymore since I turned vegtarian.

Weirdest thing in my fridge is probably Vodka Essence. I guess it's meant to make your moon shine taste like vodka LOL, but I use it if I make a Virgin Mary, to get a bit of vodka taste to it.

Other than that, I guess I have more chili based products then most people: fresh chilis, chili sauce, canned jalapeño, feferoni & chili, sriracha sauce, sambal oelek, goshujang (sp?) sauce, sweet chili sauce ... an probably something else I've forgotten.

cfile and bestcee like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@tanteva I haven't used HP sauce, but I've used miso paste as a Worcestershire sauce substitute before. I used water and thinned it a little, but it worked well with the flavor profile.

tanteva likes this.
  4. tanteva

Thanks! I'll look into that. Always looking for new stuff to boost my food.

bestcee likes this.
  5. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I have some homemade dog treats that need to be refrigerated. ;)

cfile and bestcee like this.
  6. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Does fish sauce need to be refrigerated? HP sauce? We keep all these sorts of sauces in the pantry....maybe I should move them?

cfile likes this.
  7. tanteva

@FarrahJobling Fish Sauce is so salty it can be stored in the pantry. I'd say the same on HP Sauce, but I'm not sure. Just thinking if you don't live where it's too hot, it wouldn't be a problem to store it in the pantry. When I was in the UK, HP sauce was on the tables beside the salt & pepper shakers.

Went to the store today. They didn't have miso paste, but I bought a bottle of HP Sauce. Will try it later this week in some stew or something.

cfile, bestcee and FarrahJobling like this.
  8. bestcee

I don't think my fish sauce is refrigerated @FarrahJobling , I'd have to go double check. Maybe it's my hoisin that's in the fridge? I can't remember which ones need to be refrigerated and which don't.

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Refrigerator pickles are cucumbers and onions in vinegar, usually apple cider. Different variations will have you adding spices and such, but my mom's are pretty simple. I need to ask her if she adds sugar to hers.

Conecuh sausage is AMAZING. Spicy and firm, and goes great with cheese grits.

10. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Right now oddest thing in my fridge is well... ..you asked for it.. q stool sample

Other weird stuff .. q glow stick ....and two ham bones

11. cfile

I am thinking you could... it is thicker than W-Sauce and has a slight sugar to it but I would give it a try :)

tanteva likes this.
  12. cfile

Farrah, HP Sauce is like ketchup so I would say no re the frig. I do keep HP in the frig but it is like ketchup and in the UK it is always out and not refrigerated.

I think you are the correct one with keeping them in the pantry :)

13. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

The recipe I use calls for white vinegar, water, sugar, which you bring to a boil, then pour over the cukes and onions. I'm going to try it with apple cider vinegar next time.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. tanteva

Returning to TLP has effected my life ... Bought HP sauce the other day, and will try it in a stew today. Also - went to the store today ... and NBK's kit on sale had me buying satsumas.

I'm scared to open new threads in the forum now ... what will you have me buying next?!?! LOL

gonewiththewind, bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It's so good. It is tangy with a bit of sweetness. It is perfect for making a vinaigrette.

bestcee likes this.
  16. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I'm Nornal Normalson's neighbor. How long does buttermilk powder last? I don't like the vinegaring of milk so much either.

17. bestcee

Food. Always food!

However, if you like it, it's a good thing right? :-)

tanteva likes this.
  18. bestcee

Officially? Or in my non-scientific household?

Officially, my container says 2024 on it, and I bought it this year, so it lasts awhile!
    Unofficially? I used some that I had left in my mother's household that was expired by about 5-6 months and it still worked.

19. gonewiththewind

Well, for the love of grover, don't come to one of my scrap sessions because we always talk about food! LOL There's no telling what you'll end up buying hanging out around here. We are a bunch of enablers!

Memaw2Wm, tanteva and bestcee like this.
  20. gonewiththewind

Hey, feel like coming over for a BBQ? It's just normal sauce. :giggle

bestcee likes this.