CLOSED **** Christmas in July | Traveler's Notebook A Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Christmas in July' started by jenn mccabe, Jul 17, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Christmas in July Traveler's Notebook A Day Challenge! If you were around last year at this time, our lovely @londoncuppa challenged us to the Index Card A Day Challenge, where you were given a prompt each day for 10 days and made "mini" index card sized layouts. This year, @MrsPeel and I are working together and changing things up a little bit. We will be exploring Traveler's Notebooks (TN for short). Traveler's Notebooks are everywhere these days, but if you're like us, you've collected a few but haven't used them yet. Or maybe you've seen them around but aren't quite sure how to apply them to digital scrapbooking. So ... to get our "feet wet" we thought we'd challenge ourselves to play with this size "layout" in digital form first ... and then possibly transition to our traveler's notebooks sitting on our desks when we feel more comfortable working with the size. For the next 10 days, we'll be challenging you to come along on this journey with us, and make 10 mini traveler notebook sized layouts (in digital format - but of course you are welcome to try this as a hybrid project too!) through a variety of inspirational prompts. If you complete a prompt from each of the 10 days, you will receive a $3 participation coupon for the store .... and one of you will win an additional $5 prize!!!

Some examples of TN layouts from our gallery:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1) To play along in this challenge, first pick your Traveler's Notebook size:

Traveler's Notebooks come in a lot of different sizes ... for this challenge we have a few sizes for you to choose from. When you post in the gallery, you can do each TN layout on a separate page (as a separate upload). In this case grab the PNG. Or you can add more than one TN layout on a 12x12 sized square. The PNG file is just the individual sized TN if you want to make and share each page individually in the gallery. The PSDs will have 2 or 4 TN layouts on a 12 x 12.

***TIP: when uploading a layout to the gallery that is not square in format - i.e. a 4 x 8 sized TN layout - you can place the TN layout on a pure white 12 x 12 layout as your background and the layout will show fully in the gallery thumbnail.

Standard Traveler's Notebook | 4.33 in x 8.25 in - PSD TIFF (2 TN layouts on a 12 x 12 page) PNGs
    Personal Traveler's Notebook | 3.75 in x 6.85 in - PSD TIFF (2 TN layouts on a 12 x 12 page) PNGs
    Passport Traveler's Notebook | 3.5 in x 4.8 in - PSD TIFF (4 TN layouts on a 12 x 12 page) PNGs

Another Option: If you want to print these and put them in an album (or add them to your pocket page albums) you can also do a 6 x 12 size. You can find page protectors in this size and they'd make cute inserts in your regular Christmas album or everyday albums. PSD TIFF (2 TN layouts on a 12 x 12 page) PNGs

Liz from Paislee Press also has some cute digital Traveler's Notebook templates in 4 x 8 size that you are welcome to use as well - PSD TIFF (2 TN layouts on a 12 x 12 page) PNGs

[​IMG][​IMG]

2.) Chose your prompt for the day:

Each day, for 10 days, I will update this original post with a new set of prompts for you to choose from: either Christmas related, winter, photography/travel inspired, or random "everyday" prompts based off inspirational quotes. Feel free to catch up on scrapping Christmas & winter memories, create little Art Journal or Mixed Media pages, use them as photography prompts to jump start a page, or just thoughtful/reflective prompts that can be applied loosely to everyday things going on in your life at the moment/around you. At the end of the challenge you must have 10 TN layouts - choosing one of the 4 prompts from each day. Your 10 layouts can be a single TN page or full spread/double TN page.

@MrsPeel will also post the prompts within the thread when she gets up - as she is EURO time. It may take me a little longer to get them updated in this original post as I'm in EDT/USA time.

You must follow the usual gallery rules of at least 50% TLP product and your daily pages must have TLP product on them - not just photos.

3.) Work at your own pace, but all 10 layouts must be uploaded to the gallery by the deadline - Monday July 30 at 10 am EDT in order to be eligible for the prizes. Share your 10 pages in ONE post here in this thread to make things easier for us and all of you to see!

***Remember we are creating these digitally, but you can always print them out and insert them into a real life Travelers Notebook if you'd like. You can easily print them and make your own Traveler's Notebook with cardstock, add them to an existing TN, or you are welcome to try the project in hybrid format!

So ... are you ready to give this Traveler's Notebook format a try? If so, here are your prompts to choose from (NOTE: I'm giving you each Day's prompts a day early, FYI, so you have extra time if you wish):

Christmas Prompts:
    Day 1: Christmas Cheer
    Day 2: Naughty or Nice
    Day 3: HoHoHo Merry Christmas
    Day 4: Sugar Plums Dancing in their Heads
    Day 5: Shine Bright
    Day 6: 'Tis the Season to be Jolly
    Day 7: Under the Tree
    Day 8: Falalala
    Day 9: Deck the halls
    Day 10: Holiday Magic

Everyday Inspirational Prompts:
    Day 1: Go where you feel most alive
    Day 2: Delightfully chaotic / a beautiful mess
    Day 3: Perfectly imperfect
    Day 4: Let go
    Day 5: It is well with my soul
    Day 6: In my comfort zone
    Day 7: Spoil me/indulgences
    Day 8: Your voice is my favorite sound
    Day 9: Start each day with a grateful heart
    Day 10: Dream. Plan. Do.

Winter Prompts:
    Day 1: What's in your mug?
    Day 2: Keeping warm & cozy
    Day 3: View from a window
    Day 4: Favorite person, pet, thing to cuddle
    Day 5: The weather outside is ...
    Day 6: Something frozen or frosty
    Day 7: Favorite winter accessory
    Day 8: A winter hobby
    Day 9: What's in your oven
    Day 10: Peaceful and serene

Photography/Travel related prompts:
    Day 1: From where I stand
    Day 2: It’s Who I am
    Day 3. If I was an animal…
    Day 4: The view from above
    Day 5: The view from below
    Day 6: The smallest thing ...
    Day 7: The biggest thing ...
    Day 8: On the road
    Day 9: My best departure story ...
    Day 10: Best arrival story ...

A few of us Pollys got a head start with some of the Day 1 prompts. Hopefully this gives you some ideas and inspiration to get started.

For the "Christmas Cheer" prompt by @Serena in the 6 x 12 size:
    Bringing-Cheer.jpg
    One by Cynthia in 6 x 12 (Cynthia did a double spread for Day 1 - so that's another option too!):
    10Days_1tiny.jpg
    One from Ellen in 6 x 12 (double page spread)
    XmasInJulyChall_DI_Sparkle-2tiny.jpg
    And one by me in the 4x8 size with Liz's Christmas TN album linked above. (I did a title page and Day 1 here):
    4x8travelernotebookDay1small.jpg

For the "Go Where you feel most alive" prompt by @Serena in the 6 x 12 size:
    Jung-gu-Seoultiny.jpg
    One by @IntenseMagic in the 6 x 12 size (Jan also did a double spread for Day 1):
    TN-1tiny.jpg
    One by @lcpereyra in the 4x8 size (Lori also did a double spread for Day 1):
    weekendvibetnweb2tiny.jpg
    And one by me in the Passport size (I did a title page and Day 1 here and you can see how four layouts will fit on one 12x12 with this size):
    PASSPORTtravelernotebookDayOnetiny.jpg

And for the "What's in Your Mug" prompt by @MrsPeel in 6x12
    10Days_1_Atiny.jpg

We hope you'll join us on this 10 day Christmas in July journey. As @MrsPeel said, think of it as a mini prep/practice run for January's Month of Challenges! We can't wait to see your Traveler's Notebook pages!

The random winner of the $5 coupon is @MrsEm !!! Everyone else will receive a participation prize as well! I'll PM your prize as soon as I have the coupon codes. Thank you all so much for playing along!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Ga_L, lmccandless, Ferdy and 3 others like this.
  2. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

I can't wait to play along!

jenn mccabe and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

Really, I couldn't wait, lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    MrsPeel, dagi, lcpereyra and 6 others like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Jenn, this is so exciting!! I LOVE all of the wonderful examples! I can't wait to try these. Something totally different for me!

@meggersjm I love yours! Impressive! I'm not sure where to start. :crazy3

MrsPeel, meggersjm and jenn mccabe like this.
  5. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

How do I choose what prompt to do :headscratch I want to do them all. :giggle

MrsPeel, Karen and jenn mccabe like this.
  6. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

:bkThis was just such a fun challenge!! :fairydance
    I did a two page one (I hope I got it right) and I used the day 1's everyday inspiration prompt!

[​IMG]

MrsPeel, dagi, flowersgal and 4 others like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Yay I got my first double page done. For something little, you have to really think about where you're going to put everything. I changed my mine and did "Christmas Cheer". Fun, Fun, Fun. Can't wait to see the next prompt

[​IMG]

MrsPeel, dagi and jenn mccabe like this.
  8. jenn mccabe

You really hit the ground running - you came back with that page in like 20 minutes!! Impressive! I love how you made it "sit" instead of stand! That is great! And love the little stitch!

So glad you like it - something fun to break up the summer and get a little creative in a different way!

I know - I kinda feel the same way. I did some samples but I feel like I want to change mine up already! I'm liking the double spreads more and more! If you only have time for one right now, maybe pick one for now and then save the rest to revisit for other months?
    You definitely did it right Amanda! So cute. I love the {it's who you have beside you} part! :beat And you used the warping shadows! I was obsessed with them but forgot them lately. Totally adding them to my pages. For those that don't know, Cheryl has a freebie action that warps your papers to make them look raised and lifted in parts.

I agree Cheryl! That's why I cheated and used Liz's Christmas album templates on my Christmas album! I love seeing your sunny, warm palm tree Christmas! That santa hat photo is too cute!

MrsPeel, Cherylndesigns and amandac like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

Day 2 prompts are here ... and in the original post (OP). :)
    Christmas Prompts:
    Everyday Inspirational Prompts:
    Day 2: Delightfully chaotic / a beautiful mess
    Winter Prompts:
    Day 2: Keeping warm & cozy
    Photography/Travel related prompts:
    2. It’s Who I am

***And this came up in the chat ... since the challenge went live late yesterday - instead of closing at midnight EDT Sunday the 29th ... I got permission to extend the challenge until 10 am EDT Monday July 30th. (we need a little time to pick the winner before the closing chat at 2pm EDT on the 30th.) HTHs !!!:beat

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Ga_L, MrsPeel and DisneyMom like this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am not sure I will keep up with all of these days but here is Day 1 Prompt - Christmas Cheer and I decided to scrap photos from last Christmas as to date I had not done much with them.

[​IMG]

11. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Day 2 -- Naughty or Nice
    [​IMG]

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Day 1 Christmas Cheer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    lmccandless, MrsPeel, dagi and 4 others like this.
  13. dagi

dagi Aiming high

I hope I did this right! So fun :)
    Day 1: What's in your mug?
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel, cfile and jenn mccabe like this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thank you so much for not limiting it to Christmas/winter stuff. The inspiration/photography/everyday themes interest me much more.

As for travel notebooks, I had no idea this is a trend right now. Last time I used a journal specifically for traveling was in 2000. And it was just a hardbook journal (around 6"x9" I think) decorated with a travel theme.

MrsPeel, Ferdy and jenn mccabe like this.
  15. jenn mccabe

This came up in yesterday's Kick Off chat - @GlazeFamily3 mentioned M's has them - some are on sale. So for anyone that wants to print theirs out after they are done - and staple, glue, sew, etc your printed digi pages into a real tangible TN.
    http://www.michaels.com/search?q=travelers notebook

And if you make a size that is bigger than what you buy - just size it down before you print. :)

MrsPeel, MrsEm and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  16. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

So glad you included travel prompts as I am not sure I have enough photos to do 10 days of Christmas and winter ones.

MrsPeel, jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  17. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

18. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

19. Cherylndesigns

Love Day 2 Prompts!!

Awesome pages, so far!

MrsPeel and jenn mccabe like this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

(Decorating as Santa Claus is coming to town!)
    [​IMG]