Alpha & Font Makeovers with Styles | Summer School 2021: Week 1 LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by bellbird, Jul 3, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I think that’s my big issue too….I end up 90% of the time just using word art or a word strip or maybe in a pinch the alphas I linked earlier. I so want to mix and match or be creative but because I tend to leave title work til the end it ends up being a get it done scenario I think for me. It’s definitely not lack of alphas or styles that’s for sure!

rach3975, jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Me too, wordart makes it easy when it says what i want (the designers can't always seem to read my mind though, being human and all :giggle) and your example layout shows one of the limitations i find with just using fonts for titles.
    If i wanted to make all the letters overlap with the effects like you have in your alpha there, the only way i can think to do it is to type every single letter in a new text box/layer and then apply a few different styles to each one and then reposition each so that they overlap and the idea of doing all that is more than lazy me can handle and makes just dragging alphas and dropshadowing them seem so much quicker LOL! (Totally cute page too, left you a comment in the gallery(

3. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

:blush Thank you! The Alpha came from A Better Tomorrow Collab (Pink Reptile Designs, Micheline Lincoln, and Little Butterfly Wings). And yes, I decorated the alpha with pops of color and bling from Allison Pennington's BOOM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bellbird and wvsandy like this.
  4. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

I love, love styles! I originally learned about them from @NBK-Design and I have tons of her styles. Then, when I came here, I was exposed to so many more.
    My favorite go-to alpha is Sahlin Studio Outlined Alpha! I love to fill in the letters with colors, papers, etc.

bellbird likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i love puffy stickers too and went through a heavy phase of over use - now you are making want to go there again! lol. love love LOVE the look on that sweet cursive font!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

yup me too. what @rach3975 and @littlekiwi said. i'm lazy! WA is my go to. i should play w/alphas more. thanks for the push Justine!

rach3975 and bellbird like this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

OMG...you all have my brain exploding with ideas LOL. I have always loves styles on alphas and fonts but somehow just stopped using them so much lately but now I want to dive back into it again. To make it easier to find an alpha, rather than searching thru kits or designer folders, I copied all my alphas into a folder called ALL_alphas so it alphabetically is in the top part of my TLP designer folders.

bellbird likes this.
  8. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I don't know if someone already answered to you, but Kim Jensen has alphas with diacritics, I used this week for a page and it's really cool to have those available!! I speak Portuguese and we use those a LOT!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Karen and bellbird like this.
  9. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ferdy, I know her alphas have a lot of diacritics - it is nice exception - but still not enough for strange czech language:-))). e.g. although the Stitched down folded paper alphas are soooo rich in diacritics, I´d need 9 characters more:-). But I completely understand alphas are made for the most common languages, it´s not possible
    take into account all known ones. I bought some more styles I was recommended in the ISO thread and will play more with fonts.

wvsandy and Ferdy like this.
  10. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Kim Jensen's alphas are my faves, especially this one, which I seem to use a lot, in all the colours:
    [​IMG]
    I love NBK Design's styles and use them most often on the alpha's I use.