January 14: Mosaic Photo Effect

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 14, 2022.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@IntenseMagic

The Paint Shop Pro video includes having to install other things on your computer and using them outside PSP. I do not recommend that video at all as a long time PSP user. However, I do know that there is a script available for purchase ($5.99) at another site that can be used within the program that does the same thing. The script automates the process.

2. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I used my layouts of January and December to make the pattern.

[​IMG]

Mrsdudds, lorieh, AZK and 7 others like this.
  3. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

I love this challenge so much, Jan! Thank you for hosting. For my mosaic I used photos taken from our last Disney trip. Mine :)

[​IMG]

lorieh, Joan K, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Thanks for the fun challenge! I used the Lightroom method.

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Jan, I love this challenge. I'm so glad MOC pushes me to learn new skills.

[​IMG]

Karen, lorieh, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  6. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

I actually wanted to take a completely different photo and just wanted to try this technique on any photo, but after I saw the result, I liked it so much that I took it right away - many thanks for the great TUT

[​IMG]

7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

THANKS! I have PSE15, and tried the collage maker but the results were kinda hideous- like someone threw photos onto a table. So Im gonna try this program instead!

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Jan :) I did this technique years ago for a friend of mine for a memorial..

Your challenge was a lot of fun to revisit the technique and do it differently than I remember doing it!! (gosh I think it was at least 10-12 years ago).. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge! (That is cool to make the mosaic a pattern!)

[​IMG]

lorieh and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. threadjungle

threadjungle Well-Known Member

I used a pin light blending mode to keep the colors brighter. Great challenge... easier than I first thought it would be
    [​IMG]

lorieh, AJK, Lillyia and 1 other person like this.
  10. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

[​IMG]

I chose this 11 month photo of Liam (youngest grandson) and his 11 month journey from being born 9 weeks early, NICU stay during a pandemic until now...I used almost 115 photos and overlaid it on his 11 month pic taken 1/8/22. He has come so far and is doing great and catching up to Baby Koda (who is only 3 days older than him).

Credits:
    S Basic & R Jeffries: Trust the Journey: Stay Patient
    Template by SWL - modified

11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Jan, thanks for the push to do a mosaic photo. I've always wanted to do one, but didn't know where to start in PSE until you suggested the photo collage. I used PSE 2022 to make my photo collage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  12. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Users of PSE 11 - PSE 2022 will need to be in EXPERT MODE and use the Create Function (upper right of screen) to create a photo collage. It only lets you use 8 photos though.

First you need to open 8 photos and then select Create > Photo Collage.
    It does it's magic and then let's you select (double click) the layout style you want to use. I picked facebook cover because that one made the photos the smallest and had portrait and landscape orientations for more variety in the pattern later.

Next you will need to click on the advanced mode (top left of screen) so you can adjust the photos to get rid of the white borders. Once in advanced mode select window > layers. This will open the layers panel and you can make adjustments there. The photo collage function put each photo in it's own group with a photo and a mask. Click on the group name and use the arrow keys to move each group next to each other so it looks like one photo with no white between them. I did a row at a time and then moved a whole row next to the other row.

Then get the marquee selection tool and select the whole photo collage, leaving out any white border that was left when you moved the photos together.

Select Edit > Define pattern from selection and continue on in your instructions.

You may have to simplify the pattern overlay layer before being able to adjust the lighting and shadows/highlights, but that should get you to a point where they can get the mosaic. HTH :agree

AZK, slfam, frutselke and 5 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

I have to figure out how to do this in Artisan. So I figured out a way to do this in my software. I added 1.5x1.5 photo boxes to my page and added all my photos. I flattened the photos and changed the photos to black and white. I made the image smaller to copy and paste it 3 more times. I then lowered the opacity down to 30 and added my image as the background photo and then added my elements. I love the way it turned out. Thank you for challenging me Jan!
    [​IMG]

tinkerbell1112 and IntenseMagic like this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]
    I did it manually. Couldn't figure out the suggested app. It only took about 30 minutes. I made several collages
    Collage making.JPG
    then reduced them in size and merged them. :D Hope this helps anyone who is puzzled ( sorry for the pun!) by this. Not difficult, really.

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Thanks so much, Kayla!!

sharonb and keepscrappin like this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Thanks so much for your help!!

disneysheryl65 likes this.
  17. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

that’s what I was thinking - I was also planning on repeating the collage to get the bigger mosaic effect. Thanks for being the pioneer!

AJK and IntenseMagic like this.
  18. Jess Claire Creates

Jess Claire Creates Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge. I used all my photos from the Waterfall Trail behind one waterfall photo. This way I feel like even if I don’t scrapbook every photo they will all still kind of be in the album :)

[​IMG]

lorieh and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

20. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

IntenseMagic, SeattleSheri and Marif like this.