January 3: Dangles

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by SeattleSheri, Jan 3, 2022.

1. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Hello challenge participants and happy new year! Welcome to day 3 of MOC 2022! For this challenge, the focus is on things that dangle!

So what's a dangle? Simply put, a dangle is something that hangs vertically; top and bottom elements connected by a vertical hanger.

Rules:
    • Dangles must be the star of your page, which means your main composition should showcase dangles!!
    • You must include at least four (4) dangles
    • Dangle recipe: Each dangle must have something at both the top and bottom (examples: elements, clusters, bows, buttons, fasteners, photos or alphas) that is connected by a vertical "hanger" (examples: string, chain, ribbon, stitching, etc), and your page must contain four (4) of these dangles.
    • YOU CANNOT USE A TEMPLATE - the spirit of this challenge is for you to create composition that features your own dangly goodness!!!
    Clarifications:
    • Pre-made clusters that resemble dangles, or papers with a dangly design, do not count toward the minimum requirements
    • Photos are optional
    • Use as much text/journaling as you want!
    • There is no maximum number of dangles
    • You may NOT use a template. The spirit of this challenge is to create your own composition!
    Inspiration:
    • Use a cluster at the top of your page and pair it with several strings or twine to hang a series of photos, or use alphas to make a title (you can even mix and match them!)
    • Use photos at the top of your page and use string to hang elements or a title comprised of alphas
    • Use string, ribbon, stitching, chains, wire, as your hangers … or get super creative and use a series of small, connected elements and/or alphas!
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers)

Here are my sample pages:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pollywog Inspiration:
    @ArmyGrl
    MOC3_Dangles_Home.jpg

@Eyeore
    Eyeore_Stephanie_Dangles2-Web.jpg

@marnel
    Marnel_Mary_3-dangles- copy.jpg

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    4. Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).
    Happy new year! I can't wait to see all of your dangly goodness!!! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    G.J., MrsGaramer, crazsquaw and 3 others like this.
  2. SeattleSheri

CLARIFICATIONS
    • Does the hanger have to be three dimensional? No
    • Each dangle must have its own item at the top, its own hanger and its own item at the bottom
    • Is there a minimum number of elements that a dangle should contain? Yes, each dangle must have at least one item on the top, 1 hanger and one item on the bottom, so there must be a minimum of 4 items on top, 4 hangers and 4 items on the bottom.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I know this may seem super basic but does anyone have an PS tutorials for attaching things in this style....I've always avoided clipped type attachments up until now

cfile likes this.
  4. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

COOL! This will be a fun one.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  5. SeattleSheri

Hi Jennifer, don't feel obligated to take this challenge in a direction that requires you to use clips. Mary's page is a good example where she has a title at the top and has hung some photos using strings and bows. I'm happy to brainstorm some ideas or provide additional direction if you want some more inspiration. Maybe once a few pages get posted something will spark an idea.

6. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

Is it acceptable to use paint, a brush, or an artstroke as the hanger for the dangle, or does it need to be more three-dimensional? Thanks for addressing this! :)

SeattleSheri likes this.
  7. LynnG

LynnG Designer

[​IMG]
    A weekend away DH and I had, featuring sunrises and sunsets :-)

Three photos plus the tag are dangling.

I used my "Wake Up Happy" kit

8. SeattleSheri

Thank you for letting me know! I've reattached the three Polly samples, hopefully that did the trick!

Your hanger doesn't have to to be "three dimensional" :)

9. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the Challenge- I have a question:
    there is a minimum of elements that a dangle should contain?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  10. SeattleSheri

Each dangle must have at least one item on the top, 1 hanger and one item on the bottom :heartlub

CharlotteM likes this.
  11. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

love this challenge, here is mine
    [​IMG]

carolinadjb, slfam, wvsandy and 7 others like this.
  12. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

13. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

Well, here it is - I think it meets the challenge requirements. I may tweak it a bit yet, but I'm calling it done for now!
    [​IMG]

SeattleSheri, wvsandy, LynnG and 3 others like this.
  14. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the awesome challenge! Loved making dangles :cheer
    [​IMG]

SeattleSheri, wvsandy, LynnG and 4 others like this.
  15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I'm not much of a dangle person in my scrapping (don't even wear earrings often - LOL ) so this will be a fun challenge!! Off to dream about it and find a solution that I'm going to attempt! Fun!!!

SeattleSheri, LynnG and AJK like this.
  16. got2digiscrap

got2digiscrap Well-Known Member

17. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

love your challenge, Sheri

[​IMG]

18. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Thank you. This was a fun challenge!
    [​IMG]

Cath_, SeattleSheri, wvsandy and 4 others like this.
  19. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou for a fun challenge:
    [​IMG]

SeattleSheri, wvsandy, LynnG and 3 others like this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Clips are no different than other elements Jennifer. Basically it is more of a shadow effect. I did a tutorial a while back Re a folded flower (https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/how-to-fold-elements.63410/) with a clip that might help a bit but generally it is no different than putting the clothes pin, or whatever you are using to attach everything to, at the top of the layer panel and have your dangle string, chain etc underneath.