January 2: Then and Now Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by tkradtke, Jan 1, 2022.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

(After being up way past my bedtime last night, I'm posting early and heading to bed... will be back first thing in the morning to field questions)

DON’T PANIC!

This challenge will take some brainstorming and some time to complete, but it is totally doable. We have chosen to do this challenge early so you do have plenty of time to complete it. Read the post carefully and check the first comment for questions and answers.

Curious now? :-)

THEN & NOW Challenge:

As scrapbookers, we have a special connection to photographs. We love capturing special moments, people and things on “film”. For this challenge, you will be combining a photo from the past with the present in a new photograph. The “then” photograph can be a printed copy or displayed on an electronic device. It can be your photo or an image found online. The main requirements are that a “then” photo be prominently displayed in a “now” scene and that there is some connection between the photo and the scene.

Here are some of my examples:

tlp445A3884 4x6.jpg

A few years ago I was given cameras by my dad and my grandmother, it was so fun to go through old slides and find photos of them both with their cameras:
    tlp445A3888 4x6.jpg

tlp445A3889 4x6.jpg

(Confession: I found it easier to go through my digital files and print at a one hour photo shop than dig through my boxes of old photos)

Here are a couple examples from @Karen using photos displayed on electronic devices:

DSC_0385a small.jpg

DSC_0409 small.jpg

And an example from Julie (@mrs2a50)...

RoxyCollar_sm.jpg

Here are some links to some ideas as well:

https://dearphotograph.com (Beautiful caption ideas as well)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/portrait-smiling-senior-couple-holding-old-613477145

There are so many options with this challenge. If you are truly stuck with personal photos, stock photos found online are allowed. If you want to use a printed photo and don't have access to any, don't forget that many places like Walgreens, CVS and Walmart still offer one-hour printing (super inexpensive, ranging from $.09 - .37 per print).

Here is a graphic made by @KimJ to help illustrate what we're looking for in this challenge:

MOC10-Day2-diagram.jpg

Once you have your photo… scrap it! You just need to make sure you use product on your page and that at least 75% of that product is currently in the store here at TLP. The only other requirements are that the “then” photo is clearly visible in your photo and you include one sentence explaining the connection between the then and now.

Here is my page:

[​IMG]

An example from Stefanie (@Eyeore):

[[​IMG]

And an example from Amanda (@amandac)...

[​IMG]

The rules for this challenge:
    • Take a new photo combining a “then” photo within a “now” scene (“then” photo must be clearly visible in the photo).
    • Include a one sentence explanation of the connection between the “then” photo and the “now” scene (feel free to write more if you would like).
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Have fun with this and I can't wait to see what you create!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    G.J., norton94, crazsquaw and 8 others like this.
  2. tkradtke

January 2nd: Then and Now FAQ

What if I don't have printed photos?
    You may display the "then" photo on an electronic device or print a copy to use. If you do not have a printer, many places like Walgreens, CVS and Walmart still offer one hour photo at less than $.40 a print.

Do I have to use my own personal photo for then "then" photo?
    No, your "then" photo could be taken by anyone. This could even mean using a stock photo found online.

Do the same items/people need to be in the "then" photo and "now" scene?
    No, but there must be a connection between them. For example: a "then" photo of your first car (personal or stock image) held in front of your current car would work. The same items do not appear in both photos, but the connection is there with being your cars.

How old does my "then" photo need to be?
    Just old enough to not be "now"... lol! Seriously though, they can be as old as the first photographic prints or as current as a few hours ago. Some examples of recent "thens":

Take a photo of your holiday decor still up and place that in the space after everything is put away.

Take a photo of your kitchen before a baking spree and place that in the middle of the mid-baking mess.

Take a photo of your bare yard before the big snow storm hits and place that in the wintery scene post storm.

Take a selfie when you roll out of bed and hold that for a photo once you're dressed and ready for your day.

So many options!

Can I use multiple photos on the page, and if I do, do they all have to fit the challenge criteria?
    You may use as many photos as you would like on this page.

And no, they do not all have to fit the challenge criteria, but the one that does must be a prominent photo on your page.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    crazsquaw and AJK like this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

ooh I have an idea for this but how I am going to execute it is another matter altogether as I only have one digital device to show the original photo/take the new photo unless I come up with another idea

tkradtke likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Love this! my brain is whirling and now I need to slow it down, for a fun challenge! Thank you Miss Tracie!

tkradtke, Karen, AJK and 4 others like this.
  5. tkradtke

Could you use your computer to display the photo and then use a phone to take the photo? I meant to take an example photo using my computer to display the "then" photo but ran out of time.

6. tkradtke

So glad you're excited about it! I was stumped a bit when first starting to write this, but once I got going I had too many ideas I wanted to do!!! Can't wait to see what you create!

7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

unfortunately not but think I can do it as I'll have a mirror to do the photo as well. Basically a before & after of my haircut - the before photo might just be backwards to do it though

tkradtke likes this.
  8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This should be easy as I just happened to have one of my mother's albums beside which was ready to do some scanning one day and I am sure the photo I am thinking of is in there ( one of my daughter when she was little) ... off to set up a photo shoot!

Karen and tkradtke like this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh man - I have the perfect picture for this but it was taken 3 years ago. Hmmmmmmm

AliSarah likes this.
  10. nemi

nemi Well-Known Member

I love this Challenge and can‘t wait to geht Creative!

I got a question @tkradtke. Is it allowed to use two of those pictures on the Layout? I have an idea of then-pictures at a certain place and i would love to combine two of them, each in a new photo at that place and put both of them on the Layout.

bellbird likes this.
  11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

I haven't a physical photo since 1997, i miss those days. then was good, now not, so gonna take some thought

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Cool! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Memaw2Wm and tkradtke like this.
  13. tkradtke

yes! Multiple photos work as long as the challenge criteria is met! Can’t wait to see what you have in mind!

bellbird and Aerobigirl like this.
  14. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Oh, good, I'm glad we can use multiple photos. I know the "now" I want to use. I just have to dig through some very old photos for the "then." Great challenge!

tkradtke likes this.
  15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

16. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

This was such a fun challenge! I have lots of framed photos of the kids around the house it was simply a matter of picking one (and which kid was home for me to photograph :giggle). This page is of my eldest DD. Taken yesterday, she is holding a photo of her three year old "fairy self" - just as cute today as she was back then
    It's great to have the option of using digital photos as well though!
    Here's my page :)
    [​IMG]

CaroRen, Joan K, ajm and 1 other person like this.
  17. LynnG

LynnG Designer

20220102_moc_photo_stones.jpg

DH loves to fossick on beaches for interesting stones. Photo is of him sorting his haul after a day at the beach on a trip last year, and it is placed inside the shell plate that his favourites are displayed on back at home.

I used my "No Big Deal" kit, "Turning it Around" kit and "Porto" paint.

18. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

This was a fun challenge! I don't really print out photos anymore but I used to when my kids were babies years ago so I dug up my stash and found this photo of my daughter with her Lamb Chop! She still sleeps with it by her :D
    [​IMG]

tkradtke, LynnG, tjscraps and 3 others like this.
  19. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This was a fun challenge. I did need to dust off my Fred Bear for the photo and he told me that he does not want to go back under the bed again until another day.....

[​IMG]

tkradtke, LynnG, CaroRen and 2 others like this.
  20. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

What a fun challenge!
    [​IMG]

threadjungle, tkradtke, LynnG and 2 others like this.