January 15: Clean and Simple Style

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by cfile, Jan 15, 2021.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

JANUARY 15: Clean & Simple Style

Welcome to day 15th of the 9th annual Month of Challenges here at the Lily Pad! I am so excited to be hosting this challenge. Today’s challenge is the Clean & Simple Style layout.

I really love this kind of layout. While I do not always scrap “clean & simple”, I find it is a great way to have a single photo shine on a page with using only a few elements and a background paper.

Clean and simple is just that:

· Clean - meaning lots of white/blank space on the page… most of the page will have nothing on it.
    · Simple - meaning only a few elements and a nuetral background paper to accent the photo. With there only being a few elements on your page, it is important to take the time to select just the right ones.

Focus on a small area of your page. You will only need a few elements to accent your photo to create that “clean and simple” look. (Think small!) Adding shadows helps to complete the look, so don’t forget to shadow!

The rules for this challenge:

1 -Your photo and elements can only take up a maximum of ¼ of your page. The rest of your page must be blank.

(Clarification: Think less than 1/4 of page, but no more than 1/4 of the page.)

2-A neutral background paper. Your background can have a faint pattern to it, or some texture, but it needs to be in the same color family.
    (Example: An off white paper with faint graphed lines is fine, or an off white paper with some gesso is fine for texture. An off white paper with dark plaids and stripes are not allowed.)

3-One photo (with or without a stroke.)

4-Some paint/small splatter.

5-A maximum of 5 small additional elements. The elements need to be in the small area accenting the photo, not scattered around the page.
    (Example of small elements can be: a flower, a doodle, stitches, bead scatter, button or something else. Remember it needs to be small.)

6-Some journaling is allowed (a title, date, word art) but keep it simple.

7-Optional: Use of a journal card or one square of paper no larger than a journal card is optional.

***NOTE: The use of a template is NOT allowed.***

Here is my clean and simple page:
    (I used the #6 optional journal card sized paper square as a matte behind my photo)
    [​IMG]

(Layout Credits: Sahlin Studio – I’ll Love you Forever [elements/papers] Pink Reptile Designs - ThisnThats (for paint splatter); fonts: bacana regular for title, The Sketchy Serif for journaling)

Here is another sample I made:
    (without the Optional step 6 and more of a textured background but still nuetral)
    [​IMG]
    (Layout Credits: TLP Collab Rituals - Morning & Evening, Designs by Soco- Count Your Blessings Mini Kit, One Little Bird- Turning Leaves Kit; font: 1942 report)

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

I hope you enjoy today’s “Clean & Simple Style” challenge. I cannot wait to see your page!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    MrsPeel, LynnG, RJMJ and 4 others like this.
  2. cfile

Saved for clarifications

Q: If we were using a frame on top of our photo, would that count as one of our 5 additional elements or not?
    A: Yes, if you use a frame that is not a stroke it would count toward your 5 elements

crazsquaw likes this.
  3. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Love the challenge Christa ... but we can't see the images ...

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

Thanks Marijke! I just posted them.. You should see them now.. it takes a minute once we post the challenge. Please try again.

marijke likes this.
  5. marijke

thank you Christa ... two beautiful pages!

cfile likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Now your speaking my scrappy language....thanks @cfile

ashleywb and cfile like this.
  7. cfile

You are so welcome Marijke. Thank you re my pages :)
    enjoy Jennifer :)

8. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

Wow, this will definately be a challenge. But I have an idea! I hope it works out. Thanks for challenging me, Christa.

cfile likes this.
  9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@cfile if we were using a frame on top of our photo, would that count as one of our 5 additional elements or not?

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Funny these are back to back!! I just did the 2/3 filled one as a 100% filled collagey type layout. Now I have to go the other way!!

cinna, tjscraps and cfile like this.
  11. cfile

Yes if you use a frame that is not a stroke it would count toward your 5 elements. Thanks for the question Jennifer!

littlekiwi likes this.
  12. cfile

I thought that this morning :) re Yesterday being full and today being clean.

13. marijke

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I started out a very clean graphic type, went flowery, then art journal messy - I have no idea what my style is anymore! Clean is hard for me now! Go figure!

Frumpje and cfile like this.
  15. cfile

Maybe Versatile? LOL I think it is great that you can do a lot of different styles :) I am like that too... MOC changed my style when the first year of MOC introduced me to Art Journaling and double pages... it got me out of my comfort zone and stretched my creativity for the better to try new things and learn. That is why I love the challenges so much. Trying something new and having a fun time in the process. You can always change your page after the challenge to suit your taste, but you do the challenge and have fun right? And look at you now.. so many different styles in your bag of tricks :)

AJK and violaine like this.
  16. Isa Marks

Isa Marks Pollywog

17. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

This was really a challenge!
    This is the most clean and simple I could get, since I LOVE to cluster.
    I used:
    - Two different snowflakes
    - BRRRR it's cold out word art as a title
    - A paper piece element with thread attached to it. It is one element in the kit
    - Snow as paint/splatter
    I duplicated the photo and blended it into the background to make it stand out a bit more. I hope that is okay.

[​IMG]

LynnG, RJMJ, threadjungle and 6 others like this.
  18. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Clean & Simple is my favorite! Thank you Christa for this challenge

[​IMG]

LynnG, Thuria, *sylvia* and 1 other person like this.
  19. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Clean and Simple is such a challenge for me.

Dady likes this.
  20. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]