January 9 - QR Code

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by Karen, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hello everyone! We are almost 1/3 of the way through this year’s MOC already! Hopefully by now you are getting into a good groove and are bursting with inspiration and creativity.

Today’s challenge will give you a method of capturing even more of your memories on a scrapbook page. We often think of a scrapbook page including photos and journaling to record our memories, but by adding a QR Code to your layout, you can add SO many more details to your layouts.

So what is a QR Code? A QR Code is a unique bar code that you can scan with a smart phone’s camera. The QR code has the ability to store a url or link to any website within it. When you scan the QR code, your phone will go to whatever url or link you’ve embedded into the QR code. Here are just a few ideas of ways you can use a QR code:

1. YouTube video (this is my favorite use for QR codes)
    2. A news story
    3. The weather forecast for a specific day
    4. A link to a museum that you visited
    5. Use Google maps to show a specific location on a map
    6. A photo album in your Google photos (for all those photos you couldn’t fit onto your layout)
    7. A Favorite song

…the uses for QR codes are endless and in my opinion they are just wonderful!

Now, let’s learn how to create a QR code. There are lots of QR Code Generators online. I use https://www.qrstuff.com/ but a quick Google search will give you many options. First you have to decide what you want your QR Code to link to. For my layout I used my QR code to link up to a YouTube video. To link to a video, you upload your video to YouTube and then when the upload is complete you’ll see a link to that video. Copy that link and paste it into the QR Code Generator (see image below). The Generator will create a unique QR Code that has your specific url link embedded inside of it. Download/Save that QR Code and use it on your layout.

QR Code Generator small.png

Here are some tips for using QR Codes:

1. SIZE - I have always downloaded from QRstuff.com and theirs are 200 x 200 pixels so on my 300 dpi page the QR Codes are 2/3” x 2/3” and on my 12 x 12 pages I've never had any trouble scanning them in my printed books. You can always enlarge them more if you want to.

2. Make sure whatever you link to isn’t password protected if you want anyone to be able to see what you’ve linked to. If you want more privacy online though, a password/login is a good way to go… just don’t forget that password!

Here is a layout I created with a link to a cute video of the presentation my son did for this event at school. I love that you can see the LONG speech he memorized in addition to the pictures on the layout:

2019-10-30 Walk of Reformation small.jpg

Recap of Challenge Requirements:

1. Create a layout that includes a QR code anywhere on the page.

General Requirements:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.

Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

umyesh, crazsquaw, berniek and 4 others like this.
  2. Karen

Further clarifications will go here. :agree

(Q) - Does the QR need to be a working code for you to check? You mentioned password protected.
    (A) - I don't think so. As long as I can see the QR code, you will have met the requirement. But I would love to be able to see them (follow your link) if possible. :)

(Q) Can we make a photoless page?
    (A) Yes!

(Q) Is it okay to do a pocket page?
    (A) Yes!

(Q) How do I make the QR code work?
    (A) A QR code isn't something you click on, it is something you scan with your smartphone. With my iPhone all I do is open my camera app and point it at the QR code. You don't actually take a picture, just point the camera at the code and a little pop up comes up at the top of my screen with the link that is embedded in the QR code. You click the pop up on your phone and it will direct you to whatever the QR code links to. I hope this helps.

Also, Here's a full sized QR code to practice on. Some of the resized layouts are tricky to get the QR code to work on:
    qrcode.54411229.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    crazsquaw likes this.
  3. Coady

Coady Well-Known Member

Oh ... I am so excited to learn how to do this. I will definitely be incorporating this technique in my future scrapbooks!! Thanks so much for the challenge!

Karen likes this.
  4. KELLIE R GUZMAN

KELLIE R GUZMAN Well-Known Member

Does the QR need to be a working code for you to check? You mentioned password protected.

5. Karen

I don't think so. As long as I can see the QR code, you will have met the requirement. But I would love to be able to see them (follow your link) if possible. :)

KELLIE R GUZMAN and cfile like this.
  6. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Cool idea!
    Can we make a photoless page?

7. cestlafranz

cestlafranz Well-Known Member

Hello, is it ok to do a pocket pages (6x8 preferably)? Franzi

8. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I use qr codes all the time! Love adding little videos!

Angela Toucan and Karen like this.
  9. Karen

sure!

10. Karen

yes! :)

cestlafranz likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I don't currently have a smart photo to check this, but the QR code should point to the website for the castle.
    [​IMG]

LynnG, Trish, rlucasmn and 4 others like this.
  12. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

I just learned how to do this! I love having the option for additional info. on a LO, especially video snippets from something memorable.

Karen likes this.
  13. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Never done this before, but looking forward to it - #excited :giggle

cfile and Karen like this.
  14. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you so much for this gorgeous challenge and inspiration, @Karen

[​IMG]

LynnG, tia3966, Trish and 2 others like this.
  15. nessita

nessita Well-Known Member

this is my page :)
    [​IMG]

ashleywb, LynnG, tia3966 and 3 others like this.
  16. Mary-Lynne

Mary-Lynne Well-Known Member

OMG this is awesome! I had no idea you could do this. This is perfect for this hike as we (I) were unable to continue and get pics of the chain area. This video shows why I couldn't continue LOL
    [​IMG]

LynnG, Trish, wvsandy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Karen

I can already tell that it's going to take me (wonderfully) forever to go through these pages because I'm loving following the QR codes and learning more about each page's subject! :heartslub

bestcee, cfile and rlucasmn like this.
  18. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

yay! I love doing this!! I just made a bunch of QR codes last month too that I need to scrap :)

19. Karen

And I'm adding a bunch of places on my want-to-see Travel list now! :agree

LynnG, marijke and Angela Toucan like this.
  20. meagan43

meagan43 Um, did you know that you're wrong?

I love to include the QR codes when I have a video.

LynnG and Karen like this.