Plans for 2020 PL

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by klee73010, Dec 23, 2019.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

So... have you thought about what your PL project will look like?

I have always known this wouldn't be an every year project for me. I completed 2016 when the PL app was introduced to Android. I haven't done one since. I was going to do one in 2018 but fell off the scrapbooking wagon all together, it seems. Rather than trying to force a project from a past year, I am thinking this year is a good year to do another, so I'm hopeful.

I have already scheduled an alert into my google calendar every sunday evening to back up the week's photos, and every Monday morning to make a google album and a journaling note or video/voice recording of our week.

I am thinking i need to keep it relatively simple, so I'm hoping to stick with the app, but I'm thinking I'll use Just Jaimee's stacked pocket card bundle from 2018 (already bought that and never used it). I'm still deciding on the weekly cards, but I'm leaning towards a Lynne Marie set I've also purchased and not used.

I'm also contemplating a set font for the year. I feel like we've discussed that in this forum before, and I like the idea of taking the decision making aspect away for this project, and for continuity sake. With the app allowing you to import your own fonts, I feel like this is a good chance at success.

What are your plans for the year?!

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've been doing Project Life since shortly after the app was created. In fact, that was my initial reason for switching from a Samsung Galaxy phone to an iPhone. I knew I would love and really use that app and I did! I did PL from my phone for at least 3 years and made and printed many, many pages. I made albums for lots of family members, too. I also enjoyed making 4x6 albums.

About 2 years ago, I started doing what I called Project 12 - I just created a page or two (sometimes 3) for each month. I switched from my phone to my computer and started using some of the pocket pages templates that were sold here.

Enter 2020 - I'm really not sure (after 5 years) exactly what my plan for PL is going to be. I've kind of fallen off the wagon in the past few months. If I decide to start again, I'll use the pocket pages templates again. I still have the app on my phone and can always go back and use it if I decide to. It's a great app!

klee73010 likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I doubt I will do a weekly page, with an emptier nest, DS1 in the UK and DS2 going to Bulgaria. DD in res at Varsity there really isn't enough to fill a weekly spread. So I will keep doing a month in review double page and highlights or special events; birthdays, St paddy's, Valentines etc.
    All the best with your new year @klee73010

klee73010 likes this.
  4. klee73010

I have a galaxy S8 currently, and last week thought i might actually have to replace it (turned out to be network issues, not phone issues). I will probably stick with android, considering all the kits I've purchased on android app store already :giggle
    I love the project 12 idea, also, and i tend to use that method when i go back to doing past years. I round up all the straggling photos for the month and journal what i can remember about them. It works really well for that, and i think that's part of why I've never intended to do PL each year. I already have that plan in place for prior year projects. If i fall behind in 2020, i know i can also go that route.

I loved the weekly journaling in 2016, but i frequently fell behind. I know i only completed it because i kept it really simple... hardly any frills or pizazz, but i really missed those parts, too. I am hoping by using the stacked cards, i will feel better about the pages, but also have them be the journaling I craved. Our lives are so much the same, but so much different than they were 4 years ago. :beat

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  5. klee73010

I am so sure i will also struggle when there's empty nest going on around here... my kids are currently 6 and 7, so i have a bit of time still :beat

bestcee likes this.
  6. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Empty nest here but enough for us to create a weekly Project life album although I do it on a monthly basis. A busy month may have 8 pages or a quieter one only a couple. Keeping it basic really helps. I'm designing my templates and selecting fonts etc over the next few days.

klee73010 likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Have you seen Maureen's pages? @cookingmylife She has an empty nest and fills them up!
    I joke that my mom will never have an empty nest, or that I'll beat her to it! But I adore the pages I made before we had a kid. There's a lot of interesting things to read about.

8. bestcee

I'm doing PL this year. That's my plan so far. Oh! And I made a cover page. So there's that!

In July 2018 I picked up Day One. I've gotten pretty good at writing in it and adding a photo. But, I miss the more scrappy prettiness. So, my plan is to continue Day One since that's a good habit, and I can use the writing for PL.
    I'll set up my LR catalog to pull in the photos for each week. That works best for me. And then I think I'll schedule time to sit down each day to at least do a journal card. I'm thinking if I sit down once a month and get the next four weeks set up it'll make it easy to drop stuff in, while still giving me creativeness?
    Hmm....Things to think about...

klee73010 likes this.
  9. klee73010

I like that idea @bestcee , of setting up 4 weeks at a time. I should probably schedule that time, too. Lol

bestcee likes this.
  10. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I think that I will do PL similar to this year. 9x12 to print in an 8x10 Blurb book. I want to change the weekly card and font, but that’s it. I can’t imagine not doing PL ever, its the only way I can document all the stories in order.

Heather Prins and klee73010 like this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm still on the fence about doing PL again. This is going to be a year of cutting out a lot of things that no longer give me as much enjoyment as they once did. By the time Dick was diagnosed with cancer, so many of our usual activities were eliminated so I stuck to a page a week but kept the same background paper so the 2 layout pages would match. I definitely print PL each year and made two folders in Jan 2019 "PL wks 1-26" and "PL wks 27-52". As simple as that was, it got me to be sure and put my print image in each week and then get fooler one up to Shutterfly mid summer. Most of 27-52 are also up as I've learned the hard way that when that big sale comes I want to be ready! Cover is done too!

I tried to take all square photos or at least the majority this year. Frankly, the issue that is still hard for me is fitting a landscape or portrait image into a template that just doesn't fit. Square is easy to enlarge to fit either way. It's that juggling that puts me off! I have made a lot of basic templates of my own with @mommyish /s action but it might be time to make some more.
    btw, @Mrivas your beautiful pages have got me thinking about that 8x10. Is there a reason you don't start in 8x10 rather than reduce each layout later?

Glad to have a chance to think out loud here!

bestcee, Mrivas and klee73010 like this.
  12. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

@cookingmylife I make my pages as 9x12 so that the pockets are still in the standard 3x4 and 4x6 size. It just makes it easier to use journal cards. Also at the end as an 8x10 the side borders are thicker so I think that will help with not losing anything in the gutter.

cookingmylife likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Good thinking @Mrivas Thank you!

Mrivas likes this.
  14. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I am still struggling with my PAPER PL for this year and it ...is...going.... soooooooo.......sloooooow....
    It has always been my to-go paper project since I still really like to get "messy" with the real deal but I feel so uninspired lately.
    Not sure what to do with 2020 yet. Paper, digital or not at all! :helpy

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I do a weekly spread every week. I've done it for over 5 years. I have used different styles...not all PL. I'm really wanting to be able to work on some other albums so I'm thinking of doing something super simple this week for my weekly photos...not quite sure what I'll do yet.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have no idea what my plans are regarding everyday documentation of my life - on one hand I want to do it but on the other hand my life is so not interesting (at least not yet) so am conflicted

17. bestcee

Your story is your story. The only one who can tell it is you. Every person has a story, and they may think it's uninteresting at the time. But it's not. It's uniquely you, and deserves to be told.
    My grandmother was a schoolteacher in a rural area. I'd love to know about those times, but she didn't document them. Perhaps someday someone will wonder how you found the persistence to keep job hunting despite the struggles. Your trip to the grocery store seems simple, but remember that thread where we discussed the color of cheese? That is unique to your area. When we look back at history there are many documents that a regular person probably though was uninteresting, but it's interesting to us now. If you want to do it, do it! Don't worry about what others may or may not find interesting. Do it for yourself. Only you can tell your story.

18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I honestly don't know what I'm doing. I'm a bit with Maureen on this...

PL (at least in the way I've been doing it) no longer brings me joy. My finished books do... but little about the process of making them does. I don't enjoy taking enough photos each week to fill a spread, I don't enjoy putting them onto a pocket page template, etc. I'm just burned out on it, I think.

All that said... I DO need a plan for my 2020 scrapping. Prior to starting PL in 2013, I never really had a finished album for a year, I bounced around a lot with my scrapping. Even though I am not going to do a traditional PL book, I need a plan to scrap chronologically and keep on top of things, so I can finish and print my 2020 book in a reasonable time frame. I just don't have a clue as to what that plan is going to look like. I'm going to take a spin through the store and see what alternative templates are out there for my random photos and then maybe scrap events on their own?

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I signed up for Shutterfly Ap with comes a monthly free 6x6 book. I’ve never scrapped that small but am gonna try. I thought PL format would be cool each page a pocket?
    We have a son in a behavioral treatment center and I thought these books maybe a good connection for him.
    I’m gonna give this PL a real go this year. Our Walmart does 8x10 books, and I want to do 4 books and DyD.
    I’m currently finishing mar/apr 2017! Non pl, just scrapped pages. Lol

20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

In think 2020 will be the same as 2019 - monthly pages with them being double pages - one page of photos and one page of journaling. I have not finished my 2019 pages yet... just December photo page to do and then I need to tackle all 12 journaling pages.