Goodreads Reading Challenge

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Dec 19, 2018.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Did you join the 2018 challenge? I did this last year and this year. Their 2018 challenge just closed so for this year I completed 58 books. I had put 30 as my goal so I far surpassed that. I've read more this year (and scrapped much less) than ever before. I think I'll up my goal for 2019 to 40 books as I'm hoping to have a bit more time to scrap and maybe read just a little less. I used the snipping tool and captured jpegs of the book covers I read so I can do a scrap page about it.

What about you? Did you particpate this year? Are you going to join the 2019 challenge and set a goal for yourself?

southernmother and amien1 like this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Wow - that's a lot of books! Good for you, Rae!

I did, but I had to stop after life got a bit too crazy. I went zooming ahead at the start, but slowed down by March. I just realized I never reloaded the app after I had to swap my phone. Maybe that's why I forgot? It's not like the stack of books next to my bed disappeared, or anything. lol!

I think I put in 15 books and maybe read five. I guess I should go look at that!

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I participated in the Goodreads challenge for the third year in a row, but I think I'm not going to achieve my goal for the first time. It's not that my reading goals are high. I just frequently choose to do other things instead of read.
    In 2016 I read 20 books surpassing my goal of 13.
    In 2017 I read 18 books barely surpassing my goal of 17.
    So I only increased my goal by one book this year -- 18 -- but I've only read 15 so far. I'm in the middle of another book and have several others waiting to be read, and a lighter schedule for the remainder of the month, so it's possible I could still achieve the goal.

But I'm not pushing myself hard. I'm curious to know what Goodreads does to slackers who don't reach their goal. :lol

Karen likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:compcoffee

michelepixels likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I forget to update it sometimes - i finished Ghosted last week and added it in so i'm at 42 of 40 (i blame The (very long!) Passage for slowing me down by a few books but Ivan and Deal of a Lifetime were short so i guess that evens it out really). I've also been listening to music more to move my feet more, and i've scrapped a little less (my pinterest board for this years pages is at 221, my last years board has 238 pages in it)
    CaptureGR2018-1.PNG CaptureGR2018-2.PNG

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What did you think of The Passage? It's one of my favorites! I've even re-read them all and was all excited that the third book finally came out. I see they are making this into a TV show too. I'm sure I'll hate it because it'll mess up the images in my mind. I'm torn between not even watching it and wanting to see it. :giggle

I've read 41 books so far this year. I'm almost done with two more, but not sure I'll finish by the end of the year. I set my goal at 30, so that was pretty good. I joined a real life book club this year in addition to the books we pick here, so that's kept me busy reading lots of good ones! :)

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I read a lot, and I'm a very fast reader. When I was younger I had trouble reading, so when I got over that hump, nothing could hold me back. Most books are of the fun sort, not intense intellectual reads. More of a whimsy read. Most are paranormal, thriller, psychological, or mystery books and series. I read so much, it's a bit nutty.

I went well beyond my goal, but I'll pry make my goal similar to next year. I should probably read less, lol! :giggle

southernmother likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't know how many books I read in 2018, but I know it wasn't as many as I had hoped to read. :) Oh well. The books I finished were really enjoyable and have stuck with me, so that's good enough for me. The Goodreads challenge sounds like a nice way to encourage reading, which is a great thing! Along those lines, I did pick up the Read Harder log by Book Roiot from Amazon. (I bought it before it was out of stock, btw, so don't freak about the price rofl!) It has different "challenges" you can do and a place to write your thoughts on the book you chose and to rate it. I'm going to start in January.
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Haha! $597 for a used book! It's pry filled out already! :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Right?! DH says I should become an Amazon seller and sell my copy. It hasn't been used yet so who knows what I could sell it for! :D

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  11. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I started keeping track of my books on a message board sometime around 2009 with a goal of 100 books, but never seem to reach it. Since 2013, I have been tracking my books with the Goodreads Challenge.

My 2018: https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/10689055

Two years ago, I read 149 books, but most years I end somewhere between 70-80 books.

(It's not as impressive as it seems -- a lot of those are fluffy cozy mysteries or quick romances, which I can read in a few days while I'm eating lunch. But those are the ones I *have* to track, because they are also the easiest for me to forget that I've read them! LOL)

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Here my goodreads list if you want to see what I've read this year https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/10435441

BTW, @sakura-panda I find my list helpful for remembering what I've read too b/c when I look thru the library listings, if the book cover has been changed, I don't always recognize it as one I've already read.

@Karen I read the Passage before and am curious to see how the series will be. Now that its in my head, I had to go check our digi library to see if they had the #2 book The Twelve and they did, so I've got that downloaded now. So I guess that'll be next on my reading list after I finish up my Xmas book, The Noel Stranger.

Karen and sakura-panda like this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Well, looks like I've got my reading all mapped out for wks to come LOL. I decided to re-read The Passage (after I finish the xmas book) and then read The Twelve. That'll be a big project to start off the new year. Both of those are huge books so that'll keep me busy.

Karen likes this.
  14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I challenged myself to 12 this year- I have slacked the last few & wanted to get back into reading- I think it worked! ;) I have read 23 so far, but have 2 weeks to finish my last 2 library books so I'll get those in most likely before the end of the year! phew! As for next year- I think I'll actually set a harder goal- maybe 35 or something...
    Capture.JPG

MrsEm, Karen and bellbird like this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I audio'd it, probably would never have got past the first 3rd of it otherwise; my GR review says i enjoyed the last 20% when it pulled together; not sure I ever want to hear Babcock mentioned again though - are The 12 & Mirrors faster paced / shorter & span less years? It was very visual, think it would translate well to screen but I get what u mean - I read & liked the first two The 100 books years ago & not sure if it was Netflix or the sci_fi channel but someone took the title, some of the characters & then made up a bunch of stuff!

Karen likes this.
  16. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I lose count of the books I listen to... my hubs and I drive an hour to work and an hour home. We listen to book after book... My goal for 2019 is to read/listen to 6 non-fiction books. We generally listen to fiction, with several real-crime podcasts in there as well. Maybe I should count them this year!

By the by... I just finished Amy Schumer's book (The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo)... and if you don't mind curse words and real life talk, (she keeps it REAL), it was a great book. I laughed and cried. I feel empowered, especially about how I look at myself in the mirror, and I really, really enjoyed it! :)

Karen likes this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

My goal was 52: 1 book each week. But I 'read' a lot of audiobooks and those go much faster then I can personally read. So I always surpass my goal. :)

I'm at 75 right now, and I will get a few more in this year.

For anyone interested, here is my list. (feel free to friend me on GR if you like!)
    And yes, I read a lot of Dutch nowadays. It's just easier available. But there are quite a few English ones in there as well.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    cinna, Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  18. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I put in 40 and finished 45. Might try for 52 next year

Karen likes this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've read 39 books this year. Short of my goal of 52. If I would really want to, I could knock it out in the next few days... those cozy mysteries and romance books are quick reads. But, I'm not in the reading mood right now.

Other projects kept me from reading the last half of the year. And, when I had time post surgery, it didn't do me any good. I fell asleep every time I started to read so I gave up!

20. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

My goal was 50 - I've read 59 so far and I'm so close to being done with #60. LOL. so close. :cry

I'm looking forward to the yearly summary goodreads always gives me :) like this one
    [​IMG]